Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky) | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Buried in another thread so many may not read this article found by @clockhop. Feel it's too important to be buried.

From clockshop's post:
blog post from Briscoe on his recent visits, etc

"Overall, I thought it was definitely a 10 out of 10. I think, of the head coaches recruiting me, me and Coach Ollie are probably the closest. He’s real cool and real down to earth."

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/top-sen...-and-kentucky-visits-getting-healthy-and-more

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We've got to do more to get the passionate fan base to the fore front of games and on campus during recruiting periods. It's not just the fannies in the seat that will help recruiting or CR. Give credit to Kentucky for understanding the things necessary to create excitement.

Reaction Score
We've got to do more to get the passionate fan base to the fore front of games and on campus during recruiting periods. It's not just the fannies in the seat that will help recruiting or CR. Give credit to Kentucky for understanding the things necessary to create excitement.

I'm not so sure the things they are doing now is the reason though. Would seem to me they've had that passion at UK for years and years.........

Reaction Score

Give them credit for having such a boring state there is nothing better to do.

Reaction Score
50/50 the way it reads to me. You can analyze this 7 ways to Sunday but there's more space in our pen for him to showcase his talent.

Reaction Score
I love my nutmeg state and all, but reading this caused the mental image of a rock flying out of a house of glass.

I was thinking more along the lines of pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey, etc. There are Jets, Patriots and Giants fans, Yankee and Met diehards. Being a huge fan of a team is a big investment and it can be hard to be invested in more than 1. In Kentucky, there is UK and thats it. I am also kind of biased because in FC there is plenty to do and sometimes I forget that the whole state isn't like that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure the things they are doing now is the reason though. Would seem to me they've had that passion at UK for years and years....
No arguments that they've always had this. But they've adjusted to doing things that fit the times. UConn had a passionate fan base and did things to alienate the passionate fans. They are just beginning to change things. Big improvements in marketing and reaching out to other markets in the state. It's time to give UConn students a bigger role, bring in kids from high schools as opposed to the corporate and professional automatons that occupy the seats front and center. I was in the professional field so not pointing at others. I like the trend of having coaches who can go out on the circuit and excite the fan base. Diaco, is a great ambassador for the school unlike his two predecessors. If he turns that program around you will have three great coaching ambassadors.

I'm a great fan of what President Herbst and AD Warde are doing. And I'm patient. It's going to take time to undo all the damage the prior administrations have done to hurt one of their golden geese. But I want to stimulate conversation so that people can be consciously aware of the end goal and the process that is currently taking place to reach that goal. Proposing additional ideas that can lead to that goal is prudent.

Reaction Score
walker11 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of pro football, pro baseball, pro hockey, etc. There are Jets, Patriots and Giants fans, Yankee and Met diehards. Being a huge fan of a team is a big investment and it can be hard to be invested in more than 1. In Kentucky, there is UK and thats it. I am also kind of biased because in FC there is plenty to do and sometimes I forget that the whole state isn't like that.

Bingo. There is tons to do in Fairfield County as well as Hartford County. Further, most of Litchfield, New Haven, Tolland Counties and several others are very close to plenty of things to do. I've never lived in a place where the natives thought there was stuff to do. People aren't looking for stuff to do, they are looking for stuff to do that isn't what they can do every day.

New Englanders are just inherently negative yet arrogant. "There is nothing to do here and my life is miserable, but at least it is so much better than everywhere else, the pay is higher, the schools are better, the seasons are nicer and the people are smarter and all others are either ghetto dwellers or hillbillies with a bad education and poor oral hygiene." It is a bizarre culture, but I still love it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
50/50 the way it reads to me. You can analyze this 7 ways to Sunday but there's more space in our pen for him to showcase his talent.
Yep it's 50/50 for me. But the more these kids make these statements (Stone gives an identical statement about KO) the more the buzz is out there generating excitement about KO. To me it's obvious that there is an inertia to change in our culture. Guys had crew cut and dissed the "long hair" of the Beatles. Looking at pictures of their first appearance to the US and their hair was anything but long. It was wrong for women to wear pants for many years. Very few people think that way now.

What changed? How does this process work?

We see things the way people tell us we should see things just as much as as we actually see things. By this I mean that our eyes see things and record events, but the value we place on things is dependent our what our tribes tell us is important. The tribe can be as small as a family or as big as a country. In either case there is biological programming in most of us to depend on the tribe for survival. So if the tribe says Calipari is the best we buy into this even if the evidence is not accurate. And that has the been the case up until recently. Now the general tribe (press, other coaches, parents, players and even casual fans) is beginning to say over and over again that KO is the best. My eyes say this is accurate. :cool: And that will pay dividends sooner or later.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Totally a valid argument. The competition for getting fans is greater in Connecticut than in Kentucky. But that doesn't explain Texas or Florida or California who have as many professional and environmental distractions relative to their population as the greater meto areas of New York and Boston and are equally as successful at getting a sizable population outside the student body to be excited about college sports as Kentucky.

Let me tell you that the babe watching here in SC is second to none and yet you don't find a lot of fans saying I'm going to skip football and go to the beach during a SC football game. They would be cockstracized.

In a state that understands and has been very involved with marketing Connecticut had fallen behind the curve in understanding the value of marketing it's flagship program. That is up until recently beginning with the investment in the campus and now the current administration investing in the athletic programs.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Let me tell you that the babe watching here in SC is second to none and yet you don't find a lot of fans saying I'm going to skip football and go to the beach during a SC football game. They would be cockstracized.
Public humiliation and sterilization all in one - I like it!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm more worried about uconn making sure they get the fan base out to jersey for the duke game

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
More nuggets about up tempo this year!!! We are going to run teams into the ground.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bingo. There is tons to do in Fairfield County as well as Hartford County. Further, most of Litchfield, New Haven, Tolland Counties and several others are very close to plenty of things to do. I've never lived in a place where the natives thought there was stuff to do. People aren't looking for stuff to do, they are looking for stuff to do that isn't what they can do every day.

New Englanders are just inherently negative yet arrogant. "There is nothing to do here and my life is miserable, but at least it is so much better than everywhere else, the pay is higher, the schools are better, the seasons are nicer and the people are smarter and all others are either ghetto dwellers or hillbillies with a bad education and poor oral hygiene." It is a bizarre culture, but I still love it.

Having fully relocated in the last year from Fairfield County -- while still earning my money and having many friends/places/institutions that I like there -- I can confidently claim finding much more of interest within the city limits of New Haven. This increases if I add citified East Haven/West Haven/Hamden for a more realistic demographic-safety profile-beach access version of the city, which is an especially helpful perspective for those foolishly attempting to directly compare New Haven with cities outside of the Northeast corridor that have bundled the county & city together (see Louisville & Lexington, among others). After that, I add the pastoral parts of New Haven County, and easy access to the adjacent counties. For what lies beyond, see my post in the pizza thread.

And I didn't even copy-and-paste into the Briscoe 2000 thread, fleudslipcon.

Reaction Score
We will never compete with Kentucky.

You can't compete with hordes of 50-year old Laurie Fines who need to be restrained by barriers outside the dorm doors of basketball players.

How can UConn possibly compete with that?

And by the way, I think Briscoe might have been creeped out.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm more worried about uconn making sure they get the fan base out to jersey for the duke game
I'd put that up there in terms of short term priorities. Long term is what I'm aiming for. And if the long term goal I'm aiming for is achieved I think this type of short term concern (I hear you KO) will not exist in the future.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We will never compete with Kentucky.

You can't compete with hordes of 50-year old Laurie Fines who need to be restrained by barriers outside the dorm doors of basketball players.

How can UConn possibly compete with that?

And by the way, I think Briscoe might have been creeped out.
Good to know. LOL. Means he won't be going to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I'm a great fan of what President Herbst and AD Warde are doing. And I'm patient. It's going to take time to undo all the damage the prior administrations have done to hurt one of their golden geese. But I want to stimulate conversation so that people can be consciously aware of the end goal and the process that is currently taking place to reach that goal. Proposing additional ideas that can lead to that goal is prudent.

How about we start by giving Gampel's lower bowl sideline seats to the students instead of the blue haired old geezers who'd probably prefer to be at a women's game anyway

Nah, that makes too much sense.

no offense if any of you are blue haired old geezers with lower bowl sideline seats

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure the things they are doing now is the reason though. Would seem to me they've had that passion at UK for years and years....
Right. There are only so many people who are going to be passionate about the team who are born every year, and success increases that possibility. We keep adding more and more passionate fans, but we were merely a regional power--or a middling BE member--up through the late 80s. We're getting more and more die-hards, but it's hard to compete with Kentucky: only game in town, successful on the national level since the 1940s.

The longer we stay a success, the longer we close the gap. But it is a long process.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I'm a senior in Storrs now and both of my parents went here. I love Gampel... been coming to games since I was born. But the lack of seating is only going to become more and more of a problem, and Gampel is likely one of the hardest places to improve on in college sports. The company that made the roof doesn't even exist anymore, and significant expansion just seems implausible. But if we somehow had a student section that wrapped around the court, it would be almost hard for rosters like these to lose at home, and it would end up helping recruitment significantly.

Reaction Score
I'm a senior in Storrs now and both of my parents went here. I love Gampel... been coming to games since I was born. But the lack of seating is only going to become more and more of a problem, and Gampel is likely one of the hardest places to improve on in college sports. The company that made the roof doesn't even exist anymore, and significant expansion just seems implausible. But if we somehow had a student section that wrapped around the court, it would be almost hard for rosters like these to lose at home, and it would end up helping recruitment significantly.
I think we need to have a student section court side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom