Is WTIC run by idiots? | The Boneyard

Is WTIC run by idiots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know UConn monitors the yard, maybe someone from WTIC does too. WTIC is supposed to be the flagship for UConn. Why the he ll is WTIC killing their own content? Content they invest in. Why is UConn allowing this to happen. Someone fron UConn should be having a conversation with WTIC. No way I am listening to WTIC if this is their idea of UConn coverage.

Reaction Score
When the bounce checking convict was getting obnoxious I said that.i would no longer listen to UConn games. They basically said do whatever you want

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
On the other hand, if you don't believe in global warming they have 8 hours of programming every day that you should find palatable.

Reaction Score
When Joe D continues to stay as an announcer then YES they are run by idiots.

Let him have a coaches show, but please step it up for an announcer.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Better than Pastor Will.
WTF?!?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The station that fills it's midday with Limbaugh...

Reaction Score
Listened to part of the first period of the hockey game last night while travelling. Bob Joyce is MUCH better as a hockey play by play announcer than his Fox-61 cohort.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Listened to part of the first period of the hockey game last night while travelling. Bob Joyce is MUCH better as a hockey play by play announcer than his Fox-61 cohort.
If Joyce and Joe D switched jobs I wouldn't mind.

Reaction Score
Gresh's show was simulcast on the Hub today...he is in all happy form on twitter.
Here is his reasoning behind his tweets:
Andy Gresh ‏@TheRealGresh 6h6 hours ago
None at all. Was hammering some fool. RT @amory87: @TheRealGresh dude what is your problem?

Alex Kidd ‏@amory87
6h6 hours ago
@TheRealGresh just wondering. surprising to see a host on uconn's "flagship station" antagonizing fans who are desperate not to be relegated

Andy Gresh‏@TheRealGresh
@amory87 I was getting after a guy and people who got after me this week. It's me responding. If ya listened ya know I empathize.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And something I always wondered. WTIC has no policy against hiring felons?

Reaction Score
Ok, I've got to chime in here. I know that not everyone is going to like every announcer, but I've always enjoyed Joe D. Knowledgeable and you can tell he wants UConn to win, but he is not an apologist and calls it like he sees it. I have a cassette tape with his call of the entire 1999 basketball championship game that give me chills every time I listen to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand all the vitriol he gets here.

Oh, and I think Gresh should be fired.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Ok, I've got to chime in here. I know that not everyone is going to like every announcer, but I've always enjoyed Joe D. Knowledgeable and you can tell he wants UConn to win, but he is not an apologist and calls it like he sees it. I have a cassette tape with his call of the entire 1999 basketball championship game that give me chills every time I listen to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't understand all the vitriol he gets here.

Oh, and I think Gresh should be fired.

Agreed--Joe D isn't bad when covering basketball. He's definitely better at basketball than football, where I think they should probably find someone else. As far as hockey goes, I haven't listened but imagine it's awkward. He is pretty poor on sports talk radio, to put it nicely.

Reaction Score
Maybe I should clarify my earlier statement. Joyce is better at hockey play by play than his Fox 61 cohort, Rich Coppola. Friday Joyce guested in the announcer spot with Coppola doing color commentary. Other games, I've heard Coppola doing the play by play with Joe D. as his color commentary sidekick. Coppola isn't fluid in his delivery. Joyce sounds like he knows the teams from watching them practice.

Reaction Score
As for announcers, WTIC controls on-air personality decisions per contract, so the public is screwed. One only has to listen to games on Sirius-XM to to know what's missing in comparison. Don't know the names of the play-by-play announcers, but here's a sample: Colorado Buffalo's, Ohio State-these two are perfect-I could listen to them calling midget football games & still be intrigued. There are countless others. It is time for UCONN to set criteria for on air standards, & not just allow WTIC to dictate. George Ehrlich fell into their laps years ago, & there's never been a suitable replacement once he retired. ( Bill Schweitzer had a few moments when CRN had the UCONN contract, as did the announcer who called the Scott Burrell to Tate George court length toss in that memorable NCAA tournament game).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As for announcers, WTIC controls on-air personality decisions per contract, so the public is screwed. One only has to listen to games on Sirius-XM to to know what's missing in comparison. Don't know the names of the play-by-play announcers, but here's a sample: Colorado Buffalo's, Ohio State-these two are perfect-I could listen to them calling midget football games & still be intrigued. There are countless others. It is time for UCONN to set criteria for on air standards, & not just allow WTIC to dictate. George Ehrlich fell into their laps years ago, & there's never been a suitable replacement once he retired. ( Bill Schweitzer had a few moments when CRN had the UCONN contract, as did the announcer who called the Scott Burrell to Tate George court length toss in that memorable NCAA tournament game).

Bob Huessler is the announcer you're thinking of - he does Fairfield U games now, as well as WFAN updates, and is still great. Really nice guy, too, at least via my old barber. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Huessler nailed the biggest moment in UConn history and they rewarded him with a pink slip.

And coachcap, don't forget about Marty Glickman. He was still topnotch when he was doing UConn games.

Reaction Score
Enfield native Steve Jones has been doing Penn State football and basketball radio play by play for a couple of decades now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm not old enough to remember anyone but Joe D. I can't imagine the Huskies without him. That's not always a good thing.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Marty Glickmsn might be considered the guru of radio play by play. He coached a ton of on air talent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bob Huessler is the announcer you're thinking of - he does Fairfield U games now, as well as WFAN updates, and is still great. Really nice guy, too, at least via my old barber. :)

He also used to be the PR guy at Milford Jai Alai.

Reaction Score
Huessler nailed the biggest moment in UConn history and they rewarded him with a pink slip.

And coachcap, don't forget about Marty Glickman. He was still topnotch when he was doing UConn games.
Ah, yes. Who can forget those Saturday afternoons in the fall, with the legendary Marty Glickman broadcasting & breathing life into an otherwise mundane football matchup in Durham, N.H. or Orono, ME.?

Reaction Score
One former WTIC personality that I actually liked & thought was destined for greatness was former Whaler public address announcer Greg Gilmartin. He had a set of pipes that fans related to. Not sure how accomplished he was at play by play though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom