Is UConn football worthy of Power Five status? That’s Jim Mora’s goal: ‘I think about it’ (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Is UConn football worthy of Power Five status? That’s Jim Mora’s goal: ‘I think about it’ (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
AD David Benedict quote from the article -- “I’m still holding out hope that at some point in time, and I think with this most recent move with USC and UCLA, I think it’s even created more of a conversation about, hey, football really should not be the linchpin to have to make the decision that they made, which is primarily because of football,” Benedict said. “Why not separate those things? I do think there is traction there and I’m still hopeful that at some point in time there’s going to be a lot more of an opportunity for people to be able to play football separately from the rest of their sports, where they can be in a conference that makes sense geographically and football will have some other model, where it’s not necessarily about having to be tied to a conference with all of your sports.”

I think this may happen eventually.

Reaction Score
I don't think there has ever been any doubt our AD has P5 status as his goal. Any Coach he hires needs to be on board with that but, JM's pimary job and goal is on the field each week. Not much there but a few reinforcing quotes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
538 just did an analysis on which schools are the best CR targets for the big ten using a rubric they developed. (Not good for UConn). While I found their approach arbitrary, The take away is correct. The prime factors were

1. FB prowess (UConn at the bottom)
2. Institutional fit (Public, Flagship, Academics, AAU, Secular) they overweight AAU so UConn is in the upper middle, with AAU, would be near top) history playing B1G schools counts too.
3. Other Sports (weighted less than FB, UConn near top, but doesn’t move the needle much)
4. Market (UConn is surprisingly low, not sure how they measured this, they do try to project forward which is obviously subjective)

Overall, not on the radar at all. With AAU and a top 40 FB history, would be near top. Which invokes an old line about aunts and uncles.

Reaction Score
538 just did an analysis on which schools are the best CR targets for the big ten using a rubric they developed. (Not good for UConn). While I found their approach arbitrary, The take away is correct. The prime factors were

1. FB prowess (UConn at the bottom)
2. Institutional fit (Public, Flagship, Academics, AAU, Secular) they overweight AAU so UConn is in the upper middle, with AAU, would be near top) history playing B1G schools counts too.
3. Other Sports (weighted less than FB, UConn near top, but doesn’t move the needle much)
4. Market (UConn is surprisingly low, not sure how they measured this, they do try to project forward which is obviously subjective)

Overall, not on the radar at all. With AAU and a top 40 FB history, would be near top. Which invokes an old line about aunts and uncles.

We’re so not on the radar we are in stealth mode. Lockheed Martin wants in on the technology.

Step one is to just get competent again. If we can do that then we are probably being competitive part of the time.

Until that happens we don’t have a leg to stand on.

Reaction Score
When you lose all the time, you can't be high on the list. When you win, it is a very different story. I don't really worry that we aren't more sought after right now. That's a given based on our football program. I worry that we won't win, because that is the thing that will race us up these lists. We need to worry only about schedule quality and winning for right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Found it, This should derail this thread at all.

Such the pessimist. lol.

The optimist would see UConn as a growth school since it has the Uncle Cliff 00 when it comes to recent and historical football. Start winning in football and the recent success score shoots up with a highly probable increase in TV markets and ratings.

Looking at Nate's numbers the schools who should be worried are those around the Rutger's line whose value contains high numbers of recent football success and markets.

Reaction Score
Such the pessimist. lol.

The optimist would see UConn as a growth school since it has the Uncle Cliff 00 when it comes to recent and historical football. Start winning in football and the recent success score shoots up with a highly probable increase in TV markets and ratings.

Looking at Nate's numbers the schools who should be worried are those around the Rutger's line whose value contains high numbers of recent football success and markets.

We have more opportunity to improve than almost everyone else. Lol

Reaction Score
Whether you agree with the criteria 538 used, UConn ranked tied or above 5 current P5 schools. Given our putrid recent history in football, that's not bad.

Also, if the criteria were adjusted for a different P5 conference such as the ACC or B12, our ranking would almost certainly change.

Reaction Score
We’re so not on the radar we are in stealth mode. Lockheed Martin wants in on the technology.

Step one is to just get competent again. If we can do that then we are probably being competitive part of the time.

Until that happens we don’t have a leg to stand on.
Nothing tougher than playing no leg football.

Reaction Score
Such the pessimist. lol.

the idea that we will always be losers is such failure eating BS and it isn't even remotely true. It smacks of fans who don't think the work can be put in to achieve a goal

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
^you waited until AFTER the first game to respond?

I'm super optimistic right now that the ship has finally been pointed in the right direction. Long way home but feels real good to have a true Captain at the helm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom