Is This the "Least-Upset" Tournament Ever? Just Askin' | The Boneyard

Is This the "Least-Upset" Tournament Ever? Just Askin'

Reaction Score
There seems to be one actual upset so far in the first round: Quinnipiac's win over Marquette. Though it's not as if Marquette is Baylor or something.

Otherwise, the only other game that comes close to being considered an upset is Temple's close loss to Oregon. And that is a questionable use of the term "upset."

Otherwise, the nominal "upsets" are #9's defeating #8 seeds. Pretty marginal.

Though there have been some close calls, the games have gone almost as scripted by the seeding committee.

Kinda ho-hum, don't you think?

Reaction Score
In 2012, all four 1-seeds beat all four 2-seeds in the regional finals. (The single most likely outcome occurred for the first time). Small chance we will be able to match that this time.

Reaction Score
There seems to be one actual upset so far in the first round: Quinnipiac's win over Marquette. Though it's not as if Marquette is Baylor or something.

Otherwise, the only other game that comes close to being considered an upset is Temple's close loss to Oregon. And that is a questionable use of the term "upset."

Though there have been some close calls, the games have gone almost as scripted by the seeding committee.

It ain't over until it's over.:eek:

Reaction Score

I believe there will be more upsets in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Yes, 12-seed Quinnipiac is the only Cinderella after the first round. And their win exposes that Marquette's 5-seed was a stretch - probably should have been a 7. And yes, there were SIX other close calls, but the higher seeds managed to come out ahead in all of these! Stanford (2) was trailing New Mexico State (15) after 3 quarters, Miami (4) scored in the last seconds to beat Florida Gulf State (13) , Long Beach State (15) missed several chances to score a winning basket against Oregon State (2), Belmont (13) had a real chance to beat Kentucky (4), Missouri (6) beat South Florida (11) in the final seconds, and inexplicably, Penn(12) gave up a 21-point 4th Qtr lead and lost to Texas A&M (5).
So few actual upsets, but many very close, exciting games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not that unusual - the 5-12 games are the ones that for some reason seem to yearly stack up more upsets, but there are never that many upsets - I think there have been more nail biters for highly seeded teams than I remember before, but generally I think it makes for better second round games and more chance of upsets if the chalk holds in round one.

Reaction Score

Wait a week and then ask the question again==upset city has been well visited yet. The next tier of teams, IMO, have a greater tendency for upsets---But seriously, I don't expect many--certainly not of the level of last year.

Reaction Score
Ohio State has a big lead over the higher-seeded Kentucky. But an upset? Should Kentucky have been a higher seed to begin with?

Not feelin' it....

Reaction Score
Now even the 4-seed is making a big comeback and within 3 points of taking the 5-seed.

Like clockwork.

Reaction Score
Ohio State has a big lead over the higher-seeded Kentucky. But an upset? Should Kentucky have been a higher seed to begin with?

Not feelin' it....
Ohio State was ranked 11th by the AP Poll, and 10th in the Coaches' poll, so could have been a 3-seed. Creme had them as a 4-seed, but the committee gave them a 5. Kentucky was ranked 18th by the AP and 24th by the Coaches, so could have been a 5 or a 6. Creme and the committee both gave them a 4. It is only one game, but Ohio beating Kentucky is consistent with the AP and Coaches' polls, and not consistent with the committee's seedings.

Reaction Score
Ohio State was ranked 11th by the AP Poll, and 10th in the Coaches' poll, so could have been a 3-seed. Creme had them as a 4-seed, but the committee gave them a 5. Kentucky was ranked 18th by the AP and 24th by the Coaches, so could have been a 5 or a 6. Creme and the committee both gave them a 4. It is only one game, but Ohio beating Kentucky is consistent with the AP and Coaches' polls, and not consistent with the committee's seedings.

Thanks for the clarification. There is a close approximation of reality, i.e., and then there's the committee's seedings. Just sayin'...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think over history you would find that the hosting of the first 2 rounds by the top seeds inhibits upsets. At the same time, there is a larger gulf (I do think it is getting more narrow) between the haves and have-nots on the women's side than on the men.

I do feel that this year's games involving top 4 seeds have often been more competitive than in past years (with some notable exceptions).

Reaction Score
And with ND's and Texas's wins, there have been 40 games, but only one actual upset- that by Quinnipiac over Marquette. A nominal upset is Temple's loss as a seven seed to a 10 seed. But pretty bland, as far as upsets go.

We're talking about upsets going into next weekend. But that involves the top 16 teams, and given how everyone beat everyone else during the regular season, I don't think any of those top teams' losing in the Sweet Sixteen would constitute an actual upset.

I should think that South Carolina is vulnerable to being taken out before the FF, given that their starting post player is out of the tournament. Same with Notre Dame, which might have lost Breanna Turner for the duration. The lack of that big impact post player after she went down at the end of the first half showed how vulnerable Notre Dame is without her, even with talented bigs replacing her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom