Is this our most important game of '16? | The Boneyard

Is this our most important game of '16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of the remaining schedule I should add. I understand the whole "next game is most important game" mantra but I feel like this game will dictate the tone for the remainder of the season. The difference between being 3-1 and 2-2 heading into the toughest part of our schedule can not be understated. And of course, the offense and HCBD still have us scratching our heads into week 4. Thoughts?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Of the remaining schedule I should add. I understand the whole "next game is most important game" mantra but I feel like this game will dictate the tone for the remainder of the season. The difference between being 3-1 and 2-2 heading into the toughest part of our schedule can not be understated. And of course, the offense and HCBD still have us scratching our heads into week 4. Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more. I think the two remaining ACC games are most important, and this game is the most important. Without a win this week, 6 wins will be hard. I think BC is important primarily for recruiting purposes

Reaction Score
I thought last week was the most important game of the year. Without it there was no chance to go bowling. This is sort of an odd year in that we have 3 p5 non-conference games and all are not only winnable but very much so. And the AAC schedule is pretty tough. In a sense Ivthink it demonstrates that the whole P5 nonsense is mostly about money not "power" in the sense of better quality. The reality is that after about the top 2 teams in each conference if you picked the rest out of a hat full of AAC ACC Big 10 Big 12 SEC and Pac12 it would make no difference. And even at the top Houston can easily hold its own with pretty much anybody. I think we and Syracuse are more or less comparable programs. If we lose this it puts lots of pressure on us to get back to a bowl. Because if we come through the next 3 with a win it will be pretty impressive. And with a loss to the Orange we can't stumble against the 3 remaining winnable games we have.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I thought last week was the most important game of the year. Without it there was no chance to go bowling. This is sort of an odd year in that we have 3 p5 non-conference games and all are not only winnable but very much so. And the AAC schedule is pretty tough. In a sense Ivthink it demonstrates that the whole P5 nonsense is mostly about money not "power" in the sense of better quality. The reality is that after about the top 2 teams in each conference if you picked the rest out of a hat full of AAC ACC Big 10 Big 12 SEC and Pac12 it would make no difference. And even at the top Houston can easily hold its own with pretty much anybody. I think we and Syracuse are more or less comparable programs. If we lose this it puts lots of pressure on us to get back to a bowl. Because if we come through the next 3 with a win it will be pretty impressive. And with a loss to the Orange we can't stumble against the 3 remaining winnable games we have.
I actually agree that the 3 ACC games are all easier than most of our conference games exceptions being UCF and Tulane.

Reaction Score
Fwiw I haven't yet given up hope that we will suddenly click and become something better than what we have been. I thought South Florida sort of did that starting with the 2nd half of our game last year. It was almost as if the suddenly got it at half time and were a much different team for the rest of the season.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Fwiw I haven't yet given up hope that we will suddenly click and become something better than what we have been. I thought South Florida sort of did that starting with the 2nd half of our game last year. It was almost as if the suddenly got it at half time and were a much different team for the rest of the season.
I'm relentlessly optimistic. I keep waiting for the click as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if it is most important but I think it is a very important game.

I felt (did not post in the predictions however) that we would be making good progress as a program if we equaled or bettered the following this season:

out of conference 3-1
in conference 4-4

a win tomorrow guarantees no worse than 3-1 out of conference but as we lost a conference game we may have needed to win (we now must win one of Houston, USF, Cincy or Temple and not lose any of UCF, ECU and Tulane), exceeding the initial 3-1 is now less of a bonus and more of a need.

Reaction Score
This is the most important. For all the reasons everyone said and, when compared to BC, this is home, earlier in the season and against a team we have a football rivalry with and not just a pure hatred for.

We have never lost to Syracuse at home. This week I'll take an ugly win -- I want a win.

Having said that, I still am hoping we have a better offensive game in us than we've showed to date. Now is the time.

Reaction Score
I feel we have underachieved.

Not on Defense; but, I do believe we could get more turnovers more tackles for loss. It is the underutilized offensive weapons that WE know are there; yet, for whatever reason, Bob & Franky choose not to go there. This I believe: Tommy Myers is one of the best playmakers on the team ... no targets. While I am thrilled with Noel Thomas, we thought - now know - that Hergy was a solid player. (and we should be pushing #8 & #2) Our run attack has far less effectiveness than you would expect; not close to where we were a mere few years ago.

Yes ... we can click. My hope is that Bryant Shirreffs is the catalyst. He has the ball and can make this far more diverse and productive. This is a very important game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yes. For now anyway; we may end up looking back at Navy as the difference between a great season and a good season but we need this one to keep the 'disappointing season' at bay.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I feel we have underachieved.

Not on Defense; but, I do believe we could get more turnovers more tackles for loss. It is the underutilized offensive weapons that WE know are there; yet, for whatever reason, Bob & Franky choose not to go there. This I believe: Tommy Myers is one of the best playmakers on the team ... no targets. While I am thrilled with Noel Thomas, we thought - now know - that Hergy was a solid player. (and we should be pushing #8 & #2) Our run attack has far less effectiveness than you would expect; not close to where we were a mere few years ago.

Yes ... we can click. My hope is that Bryant Shirreffs is the catalyst. He has the ball and can make this far more diverse and productive. This is a very important game.
It's very conceivable that this offense is ready for the light bulbs to come on.. they've shown flashes. I also think the defense is good for multiple picks against a team trying to throw 60 times at our corners...

Reaction Score
Beating all 3 ACC teams is important but beating BC is the most important game this year because it gives UConn some territory it can claim as it's own, New England. Next step, beating Penn St to claim the North East as UConn's territory. But this year, BC for sure. Just imagine what it will be like if the Huskies lose that game. Just unbearable.
Go Huskies! Beat the Cuse!!(and claim at least 2 of 3 from the ACC)

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I don't know how important it is to the team, but it's important to me.

I detest the ACC. I fart in their general direction.

Reaction Score
With that wipe PP on the sidelines and BC in general, I couldn't think of a more emotionslly satisfying victory. But nobody ever said hatred had to be logical.

Reaction Score
Yes. It puts us halfway to a bowl game. I really want to see us protect the Rent and am expecting a big crowd. It gives us some momentum going to Houston. To create buzz in the program it is important to win early in the year. Now we need to bring the offense up to the level of our D and with Syracuse being hyper up tempo it is a big test. We get this one, go to Houston and give them our best shot then come home and give Cinci hell! Let's roll!

Reaction Score
This is the most important. For all the reasons everyone said and, when compared to BC, this is home, earlier in the season and against a team we have a football rivalry with and not just a pure hatred for.

We have never lost to Syracuse at home. This week I'll take an ugly win -- I want a win.

Having said that, I still am hoping we have a better offensive game in us than we've showed to date. Now is the time.
Uconn has beaten Syracuse. Would like to see a win against BC.
Both are big because it would show that uconn can very much compete. I think it's 1 and 1a with BC getting the edge.

Reaction Score
BC is more important. It's not even close, either.
Pepband not a spitting match here but you are a little carried away with the BC hatred. And yes I hate them as much as the next fan, but to say it's not even close as to which game is more important ( BC or Cuse ) is simply a point that says you may have missed some info. UConn is advertising as The 6th Borough. BC is not trying to brake into the NY market as we and Rutgers have been. Cuse actually plays ND at Metlife Stadium in their next game.
I want to own both of them but find Cuse a tad more important in the big picture. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a big game for sure but a game we should win. Becomes huge if we lose so that's not an option. BC is "THE GAME" for us for other reasons, but my "turn-the-corner" game is Cincy. We really need to beat them and I think we can if the offense can show some progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom