Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It's News to me...
UConn plans new sports facility

From today's Daily Campus:

In May, construction for the new basketball practice facility, a $35-million project designed to keep UConn athletics programs from falling behind in revenue, resources and academic performance, will begin behind Gampel Pavilion.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I hadn't seen the specifics about the start of construction.....good news for sure!

Reaction Score
It's News to me...

In May, construction for the new basketball practice facility, a $35-million project designed to keep UConn athletics programs from falling behind in revenue, resources and academic performance, will begin behind Gampel Pavilion.
Just my opinion ...but if given my druthers ...make Gampel the practice facility and construct a new facility for playing regular games that has better seating top to bottom ... including actual seats/chairs for all ! And creatively get the student body closer to the floor . Maybe even upper level luxury boxes for the no-show "suits" who make Gampel look not filled when they don't show up.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The fact is not new but the article is. Geno helped to connect to a big donor which was extensively covered and discussed earlier in the year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just my opinion ...but if given my druthers ...make Gampel the practice facility and construct a new facility for playing regular games that has better seating top to bottom ... including actual seats/chairs for all ! And creatively get the student body closer to the floor . Maybe even upper level luxury boxes for the no-show "suits" who make Gampel look not filled when they don't show up.
The problem is that they would basically have to bring Gampel down and start from scratch to convert to what they want for the practice facility/offices/etc. More likely is that they get money to rework Gampel - strip it out and redesign the interior layout - but that also isn't going to happen for a while so don't hold your breath.

Reaction Score
I would support this 100%. As I posted in another thread, Georgia Tech completely gutted the old Alexander Memorial Stadium and is revamping it into a brand spanking new McCamish Pavillion. All seats will be chairbacks about 19" wide. Expected capacity 8,600 - down from 9,191. The artist renderings look amazing: McCamish Pavillion or more recently Updated renderings.

What I especially LOVE is that there are 200 seats, COURTSIDE, devoted to student seating. You can see this in the second link of artists rendering. Looks a lot like Cameron Indoor at Duke. I would imagine that students would have to pay to be able to sit in these seats. Currently, GT students can attend games for free, unless they want guaranteed "premium" seating.

If only UConn would do something like this. <sigh>

Reaction Score
Alexander was built in 1956 with a few expansions of seating, last for the olympics in 1996. Gampel is only 20 years old, though nice idea it wont happen soon. Baseball, softball, soccer upgrades are next and also hockey appears to be upgrading to Hockey East too.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
New Facility was definitely needed and will help the men in recruiting in this trouble time.

JS

Reaction Score
Another view . . .

pic-story-athletics2B.jpg

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
It's News to me...

Behind meaning the soccer field?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

Geno should start talking with Phil Knight

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Obviously it's super exciting for the fans. it will help in recruiting for sure, but i'd say it will help more on the men's side. JC won't be around much longer and having a state of the art practice facility will only help the next HC. Still it's a great thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom