Is this a foul? (So. Carolina) | The Boneyard

Is this a foul? (So. Carolina)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Poor kid. I bet she spent some time in the whirlpool after the game.

Newcomers shine as South Carolina roars to exhibition win over Coker

wbbvscoker_tg262

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After doing a little research, I now know that Coker College was founded in Hartsville, SC back in 1894 by a former civil war major named Coker. Originally founded as a HS, it later became a women’s college and eventually a coeducational college after WWII.

The school’s mascot is the Cobras, and one of their most famous graduates was Mary McKnight, Miss America 1957.

Go Cobras!!!

Reaction Score
After doing a little research, I now know that Coker College was founded in Hartsville, SC back in 1894 by a former civil war major named Coker. Originally founded as a HS, it later became a women’s college and eventually a coeducational college after WWII.

The school’s mascot is the Cobras, and one of their most famous graduates was Mary McKnight, Miss America 1957.

Go Cobras!!!

And their coach, Shannon Johnson is a former SC playah.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Red Rover Red Rover, Send "......." right over.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like a good run by the fullback. Arm tackling doesn't work. Getting some yards-after-contact. Wrong sport?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Go Cobras!!!
Glad you didn't say "Go 'Bra's".

Frankly SC put on the kind of shooting performance I expected UConn to have against Fort Hays, and do expect against Ashland.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Looks like a good run by the fullback. Arm tackling doesn't work. Getting some yards-after-contact. Wrong sport?
I think UConn's football team could use these two.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Poor kid. I bet she spent some time in the whirlpool after the game.

Newcomers shine as South Carolina roars to exhibition win over Coker

wbbvscoker_tg262

Yes absolutely!!! When coaches talk to their players about "effort", and how they want them to exhibit it on the court, and give 110% for 40 minutes, the player on the LEFT could be the poster child as an example.
That folks is raw effort and determination on steroids. This is what a Coker "double team" looks like when done correctly. Gimme dat ball!!! :mad:

And just in case her efforts are unsuccessful, her teammate is attempting to "distract" the opponent. Although their technique needs a little polish, their grit and determination gets an A+. By the way, IMHO, the player on the right should have been accessed a flagrant 2, and sent to the showers. She's not making a play for the ball. As Charliebball correctly suggested, this folks is a mugging. :eek:

Story line - For roughly a minute, it was close: Seventy-eight seconds into the first quarter Friday, defending national champion South Carolina was tied 2-2 with Division II Coker. Then … things got out of hand (probably right after this play). Dawn Staley’s Gamecocks thrashed the Cobras 116-56 at Colonial Life Arena in their only exhibition game of the preseason.

After that 2-2 tie, USC went on a 40-4 run to close the first quarter, with the starting unit of forward A’ja Wilson, forward Alexis Jennings, and guards Tyasha Harris, Lindsey Spann and Doniyah Cliney blowing past Coker and scoring seemingly at will. Is this typical play in Division 2? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I know that D1 WBB teams play some fairly obscure teams in preseason exhibition games, but I must confess that I’ve never heard of Coker?
It surely didn't look like a foul to me. I thought the Back was splitting the defenders to go for another 10 yards. Must confess it has been a long time since I've seen a game with out helmets .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom