Is this a Big East ready roster? | The Boneyard

Is this a Big East ready roster?

Reaction Score
I can't help but to look at this current roster and think would this be a last place team in the Big East next year? There will be no Vital, and a chance Gilbert will not be back. If you like them or not their experience will have to be replaced. There are no bully ball big men on this current roster and I don't see coming next year. The Big East is still a physical brand of basketball! They need some Donny Marshall's, Eric Hayward's, and Jeff Adrian's (just to name a few) to bring that toughness to the team. I say that because physical big men are having their way in the paint against this team. I feel good about the guards and wings being Big East ready. I feel good about the teams overall athleticism being Big East ready. I do not think they are Big East ready when comes to having the players to bring toughness to control the paint and hard nose defenders at least in their first season back in the league.

Reaction Score
Well be alright, RJ Cole should be able to up AGs production from what weve seen so far out of him this year, if he does infact leave. All of our young talent will progress more and more, Bouk starting will help out with that tremendously. Plus theres still a chance we land another recruit for 2020. Not to mention what an impact Andre Jackson is going to make, the kids a walking highlight reel.

Reaction Score
Yes, the younger kids have talent. But what's missing mostly is someone to run the offense. Napiers don't grow on trees but the best teams have them or a reasonable facsimile.

Reaction Score
Right now, no, but next year, they should be somewhere in the 6/7 range in the conference. Will miss Vital, but very excited about RJ Cole, especially since he is AG insurance. Bouknight and Akok keep improving, we'll have even more frontcourt with with Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs, lots of depth even with Polley's ACL.

Big East teams that should be better:
  1. Nova: No seniors, no major NBA prospects, and a good incoming transfer with Caleb Daniels
  2. Georgetown: Shockingly, the team has seemed to play better after the recent exodus. Graduating seniors Allen and Mosely are good depth players, but not key cogs. Lots of spots next year for grad transfer stability.
  3. Creighton: Their only graduating senior is a grad transfer who was originally signed for depth purposes. Antwan Jones is a solid transfer too.
  4. Providence: After another weak season of guard play, Jared Bynum is a huge transfer.
Big East teams that hold steady:
  1. Xavier: Jones and Goodin graduate, but Marshall/Carter/Scruggs will be seniors and they have a great '20 class.
Big East teams that should not be as good:
  1. Butler: Baldwin/McDermott/Smits graduate big blow, but great '20 class.
  2. Marquette: Excellent '20 class, but lose an all-time great in Marcus Howard.
  3. DePaul: Heard Paul Reed has NBA aspirations and Coleman-Lands graduates. Only incoming player is an unranked recruit.
  4. St. John's: Posh Alexander is a good recruit, but Heron graduates and not sure if Figueroa will stick around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if you add Cliff and a good guard grad transfer to the roster it's a top half BE roster, stay the same tho and bottom half for sure

Reaction Score
I think we'll certainly see more player turnover but that might not be a bad thing. We need at least one more difference maker with next year's class.

Reaction Score
I expect the pieces to fit together much better.

Gilbert is a great talent, but his game doesn't work well within the flow of the offense and his decision-making is hit or miss. Also, I suspect Hurley isn't really keen on a 5'10 guy heading up his aggressive trapping defense.

Vital also does several things well, but a lot of his shortcomings directly lead to losing games.

Cole, with sophomores Gaffney and Bouknight, should be a much more functional backcourt, even if the on-paper talent level isn't appreciably better.

We're also adding more skill on the wing in Jackson. Akok should have a more well defined role in the frontcourt.

If we add a big-time center, we're looking at:

Cole
Bouknight
Jackson
Akok
C

with Gaffney, Adams, Wilson, Polley, and Carlton off the bench.

Reaction Score
RJ will help a lot. I feel like we need another good PG. Gaffney doesn’t look like a pure pg to me but I’ll trust the staff if they think they can turn him into one.

I’d like AG to return. He’s playing much better now and his shot is falling. I think he’ll keep getting better as long as the jump shot keeps going in.

Reaction Score
The uncertainty as to whether Polley will be able to be ready to play at even the same level next year has to figure in to any analysis.

Reaction Score
Cole will be an offensive upgrade but a downgrade defensively from Gilbert, and Vital for all his flaws has been very good on the defensive side of the ball this year. Bouknight has a long way to go on that end but with his length and athleticism should become a very good defender.

We desperately need another big. Not sure what the backup plan is for when/if Cliff commits elsewhere.

Reaction Score

Gilbert is a great talent, but his game doesn't work well within the flow of the offense and his decision-making is hit or miss. Also, I suspect Hurley isn't really keen on a 5'10 guy heading up his aggressive trapping defense.

Vital also does several things well, but a lot of his shortcomings directly lead to losing games.

Cole, with sophomores Gaffney and Bouknight, should be a much more functional backcourt, even if the on-paper talent level isn't appreciably better.

We're also adding more skill on the wing in Jackson. Akok should have a more well defined role in the frontcourt.

Cole
Bouknight
Jackson
Akok
C

I think Springs will be in the rotation as well. He is getting a full year to get into the system, and they are working hard on getting him stronger.

Reaction Score
I think Springs will be in the rotation as well. He is getting a full year to get into the system, and they are working hard on getting him stronger.

Yes, at worst we will have a center-by-committee situation with Carlton, Brown-Ferguson, Springs, and Whaley.

Adding a true stud to that mix would go a long way.

Reaction Score
Yes, at worst we will have a center-by-committee situation with Carlton, Brown-Ferguson, Springs, and Whaley.

Adding a true stud to that mix would go a long way.
I think that they may play Akok at the 5 against certain teams next year, assuming he continues to bulk up this offseason.

The difference in depth next year in the front court will be night and day compared to this year.

Borges article on Brown-Ferguson was music to my ears. He is hitting the weight room now, and will be on campus sometime in May.

Reaction Score
For this team to continue on an upward trajectory, DH needs to sign a top center or PG in the spring. Need upgrade/depth at both positions. Javonte Brown Ferguson from all accounts sounds like he’s years away from being ready.

Cole is right now a mystery as to whether he can make plays passing or will just be a shooting guard forced to play PG.

Jury is out on Gaffney too. He just looks so tentative dribbling. Can’t play PG dribbling with your back to the defender.

Reaction Score

Cole
Bouknight
Jackson
Akok
C

We're not going to see that young of a starting lineup. Polley or Adams might start.

Reaction Score
Don't forget RJ Cole is a scorer too. He averaged 22.5 pts and 6.2 assists in two seasons. That'll be a nice addition come 2020-2021. Javonte and Andre will add skill around the basket and length. Sid has another year under his belt. Carlton will be there along with Richie Springs. I think this team will be a force next season.

Reaction Score
We'll finish in the top half of the Big East next year. Cole, Bouk, Jackson, and Akok is going to be SCARY in transition.

PG: Cole, Gaffney
SG: Bouknight, Adams
SF: Jackson, Polley, Wilson
PF: Akok, Springs, Whaley
C: Carlton, Ferguson

I think right now people are greatly underestimating next year's squad. If you don't think a backcourt of Cole, Bouk, and Jackson with a more experienced front court is going to make some noise I don't know what to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom