Is there an advantage of a #2 vs #1 seed this year? | The Boneyard

Is there an advantage of a #2 vs #1 seed this year?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Question for those that are knowledgeable about the top 4 seeds, how they are placed and what’s a better position. The SC v LSU game got me thinking about the current reveal of SC & UConn at #1, and LSU at #2, with the assumption that LSU is the strongest #2 going against the weakest #1?

If UConn’s final seed is the 4th ranked #1 seed, then they would be placed in same bracket as SC. If UConn should slip to a #2 seed, ranked as the top #2, does this put them in with the lowest #1? Wondering what the advantages are of either?

And yes, I know the UConn mantra of "go anywhere, play anyone", however as the lead grew b/w SC and LSU yesterday, I went back to the bracket to see the other 2 & 3 seeds to see if anything would get shaken up.

Reaction Score
I would say the difference between the 2's and the 1's are pretty significant this year. It's the difference of playing Iowa/Utah/Maryland/Duke over Stanford, South Carolina or Indiana tomake it to the final four. The difference between the final 1 and the top 2 isn't big since you'd have the same opponent either way but once you start falling behind the top 2-seed, the difference is sever.
I don't think LSU is going to be a 2 seed after their performance yesterday, unless they beat South Carolina in the SEC tournament - no top 25 wins and they've recently been struggling against inferior teams.

Reaction Score
If you are the overall 4 or 5 seed you would be in the same boat. In either position you would end up playing the 1 seen in the first game of the final 4. If you are playing for second place it might matter but if you are playing to win it all then I wouldn't matter since you would have to beat SC either way. For UCONN it might be better to play them after a week of rest rather than playing them two nights after another tough game.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Being the overall strongest #2 seed would be in the same region as the weakest #1 seed. The only difference would be playing the 3 seed as the 2, while the 1 would play the 4. The way the teams are shaping up this year, I don't think there will be much difference between the 2,3, or 4 seeds. There are a lot of dangerous teams out there now, so once you get to the sweet 16, every game will be a huge test for everyone, including us. Maybe not SC at that point, but everyone else will be in for a tough time. This could be the best tournament ever.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Being the overall strongest #2 seed would be in the same region as the weakest #1 seed. The only difference would be playing the 3 seed as the 2, while the 1 would play the 4. The way the teams are shaping up this year, I don't think there will be much difference between the 2,3, or 4 seeds. There are a lot of dangerous teams out there now, so once you get to the sweet 16, every game will be a huge test for everyone, including us. Maybe not SC at that point, but everyone else will be in for a tough time. This could be the best tournament ever.
Looks like this will be a multiple tourney bracket year. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only real difference between being the 4th or 5th team (last #1/first #2) is a slight difference in opponents in the sweet 16 round, and with the number of multi team conferences in the top sixteen, there is also more likely to be adjustments for a 2 seed than for a 1 seed in terms of the actual S curve. The #1 seeds will be fixed in their bracket, the 2 seeds might not be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would say the difference between the 2's and the 1's are pretty significant this year. It's the difference of playing Iowa/Utah/Maryland/Duke over Stanford, South Carolina or Indiana tomake it to the final four. The difference between the final 1 and the top 2 isn't big since you'd have the same opponent either way but once you start falling behind the top 2-seed, the difference is sever.
I don't think LSU is going to be a 2 seed after their performance yesterday, unless they beat South Carolina in the SEC tournament - no top 25 wins and they've recently been struggling against inferior teams.

Agree with this take. SC is the bracket to avoid--they'll be in front of home crowds until the Final Four. LSU doesn't deserve a 2 seed unless they upset SC or playing them extremely tough while other teams falter.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
The obvious advantage to being a 1 seed is that you are not going to have to face either
South Carolina or Stanford in a regional final. If you're a 2 seed your chances of making
the final four depend upon how high a 2 seed you are.

Reaction Score
So we all agree, if we are the last #1, or #4 overall seed, do we face SC in the Semis since they will be the overall #1 seed if we make it to the Final Four? I'm not so sure that the NC is better than the Semis to meet them because we will have more rest for that game and the Semis have produced many upsets over the years.

Reaction Score
Whether UConn is the weakest 1 seed (4th overall) or the strongest 2 seed (5th overall) won’t matter too much since they would still end up in the same regional bracket and would still play the same 1/2 seed they switched places with. This position (4th/5th overall) would also put them in the Final Four with South Carolina because they are currently (and likely will be) the 1st overall seed. If they should happen to move up or down from 4th/5th overall, then there would be a significant change in who/where they potentially play.

Reaction Score
Well, you have to win six games. It does matter who the six opponents are, but not so much the order in which you meet them. However, I would not want a team like SC in the regional final. If UConn has to meet SC in the FF instead of meeting them in the NC game, what does it matter? UConn has to beat them in any event. In fact, I think an argument can be made that it would be better to meet SC in the FF game with a few days of rest, rather than in the NC game with just 1 measly day of rest.

Reaction Score
Well, you have to win six games. It does matter who the six opponents are, but not so much the order in which you meet them. However, I would not want a team like SC in the regional final. If UConn has to meet SC in the FF instead of meeting them in the NC game, what does it matter? UConn has to beat them in any event. In fact, I think an argument can be made that it would be better to meet SC in the FF game with a few days of rest, rather than in the NC game with just 1 measly day of rest.
For UCONN to meet SC in the regional final, if all is above board, UCONN would be the #8 overall seed.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
For UCONN to meet SC in the regional final, if all is above board, UCONN would be the #8 overall seed.
Yep, but that wasn't the point I was trying to (poorly) make. You got to win six games. It's likely the last 3 (maybe 4) teams are going to be really good. The order doesn't really matter. You got to win them. There may be an advantage to meeting a really good team as the first game of the weekend, rather than the second game of the weekend. Of course, late in the tournament, all the teams are really good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Truthfully, if we don't get Fudd and Ducharme back, it's not gonna matter too much, cause we're not gonna got real far.

Reaction Score
Just don't want to play S. Carolina until the NC game. Other than that, don't really care #1 or #2.
I agree but wouldn't like playing Stanford either, atleast not until the final 4. Indiana looks really good to but not quite as scary

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is the only important thing going into the post season. Nevermind seeds or locations. If we are at FULL strength we can beat anyone anywhere.
I am expecting them to be back though. Then it will depend on "how back" they are.

Reaction Score
Being the last 1 or the highest 2 is a worthy goal IMO. I think there are plenty of 2 or 3 seeds that are serious threats to get to the final four as you point out, but if we wind up being the 4th or 5th overall seed our chances of making the final four are somewhat higher by not having to beat South Carolina, Stanford or Indiana.

Plenty can change but right now those are the three that seem to be separating themselves from the next tier so not having to beat them to get to the final four is a plus. If we have to face South Carolina in the semis so be it. When a major streak has come to an end this year, I hope we can keep the Final Four streak alive, so for me, the seed that is best for that intermediate goal is the best. Whoever wins the chapionship is probably going to have to go thru South Carolina anyway be it semis or final.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I am expecting them to be back though. Then it will depend on "how back" they are.

Indeed. Basketball at that high level isn't something that can be switched on and off.

Reaction Score
Yep, but that wasn't the point I was trying to (poorly) make. You got to win six games. It's likely the last 3 (maybe 4) teams are going to be really good. The order doesn't really matter. You got to win them. There may be an advantage to meeting a really good team as the first game of the weekend, rather than the second game of the weekend. Of course, late in the tournament, all the teams are really good.
The regional final is in Greenville so the order does matter only for that game. It's a home game for SC and we know what the referees are like for a home game for them. I'm not suggesting that they are deliberately partisan, I'm just stating that the empirical evidence shows that they are intimidated and that the premise has been inculcated in them that Boston never fouls, never charges, never shoves and that somehow that push with her body to move the defender under the basket on a teammates' free throw is legal. That's how she gets so many rebounds off of missed free throws. The player boxing her out is under the basket.

Reaction Score
As a Husky fan I will probably catch flack for this , but honestly, if Boston was a Husky, then no one would be making these complaints against her game. PS. I am not saying the complaints aren’t legitimate, just that if Husky players were getting away with it , then we would tend to see things differently. Just like fans of all teams!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom