Is the UConn System Still Relevant going forward? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is the UConn System Still Relevant going forward?

Reaction Score
A system that is setup to develop players over a four-year period
I think that's a basic flaw in your view of the "system." Any overview is going to fall short but as I see it (on this limited point only): his system is to develop a player to be productive within his framework, however long it takes. In the past this has probably ranged from a few months of practice and a half-dozen games to most of a first season to two seasons (maybe the norm) to four years to never. Many of the players who never completely got it were still major contributors and starters for years.

Looking at a theoretical four year process you are exaggerating the effect of changes such as transfers and pro-exits. If the pressures from those factors increase it dos not necessarily need to impact the way Geno works. He's still looking for his kind of raw characteristics, he's still helping that individual player develop as fast as she can, he's still (in games) using the best combination of those players he has at hand. On this limited point you raise, nothing really needs to change.

Reaction Score
IMO, Geno needs to simplify his "system", especially when he is recruiting top talent & not winning titles. It's very complex & based on a finesse passing game. More than 1 top player has struggled (& stated so publicly) in learning their "role".

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the reason kids come to UConn is to be coached by Geno and
be a part of the "UConn System" (whatever that is). There are other factors, sure,
but Geno is the principal draw.

I don't see that changing, portals or no portals.

Reaction Score
Guess we'll see...
Just this year alone the Transfer portal has been overactive, and not just with the usually disgruntled players?

Hopefully, you are right.. But the more players see other players leaving one school and contributing at another, the more we shall see other players leaving programs in the future.

Have they approved the new transfer rule going forward yet? Even if they do next week, wouldn't it only be a one-time transfer w/o penalty so it's not like a free-agent market where you can change your mind every year? As far as the overactive transfer portal this year, you can count on at most 2 hands the number of players who are game-changer from what I understand, but I understand your point, time are changing, and I am sure Uconn will adapt.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMO, Geno needs to simplify his "system", especially when he is recruiting top talent & not winning titles. It's very complex & based on a finesse passing game. More than 1 top player has struggled (& stated so publicly) in learning their "role".
Geno's goal is to teach the players how to play basketball, not run set plays for 40 minutes. Read and react, sometimes react quickly before your opponent does. Geno has said numerous times, if you cannot pass and aren't willing to learn, or will not pass the ball, you cannot play at UConn. And yes, this is vague paraphrasing from past articles and interviews.

Reaction Score
An easy way to judge the success of the UConn system is to look at the recruiting classes. Based on that, the system is working better than ever because UConn has been attracting an uninterrupted string of incredible classes, that include the best player in the class year after year.

In previous times very good recruiting classes have often followed much weaker ones, some with only one good player.

Almost every member of the present are planning to be professional players, and that is also true for the upcoming classes. UConn stands alone in the number of final fours, national championships, and the number and quality of Olympic and WNBA players.

UConn is the preeminent program for producing professional women basketball professionals. The top players are choosing UConn because they feel that future careers will be best served by doing so.

When is that going to change? Not soon, based in the players that UConn is attracting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
YES, we are very relevant! How lucky are we to to have the BEST team in the nation that is on National TV/SNY and for some of us is a mere one hour drive! That’s pretty cool. Completion is the getting better which is great for the game. Geno is still the best coach hands down! So yes, we are very Relevant! I’m checking out seasons tickets next week that’s how psyched I am to see this girls in-person! This is my opinion only. UCONN is Good for the Game!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I think that's a basic flaw in your view of the "system." Any overview is going to fall short but as I see it (on this limited point only): his system is to develop a player to be productive within his framework, however long it takes. In the past this has probably ranged from a few months of practice and a half-dozen games to most of a first season to two seasons (maybe the norm) to four years to never. Many of the players who never completely got it were still major contributors and starters for years.

Looking at a theoretical four year process you are exaggerating the effect of changes such as transfers and pro-exits. If the pressures from those factors increase it dos not necessarily need to impact the way Geno works. He's still looking for his kind of raw characteristics, he's still helping that individual player develop as fast as she can, he's still (in games) using the best combination of those players he has at hand. On this limited point you raise, nothing really needs to change.
Okay let's look at my very simple understanding of the system...

It is generally expected that the rookie year in the UConn system is the toughest year, true?
it is of my opinion this is the case for a few basic reasons 1) the learning curve of all the options of the read and react system, 2) the difference in Pace of the game from HS to College, and 3) Coach has a tendency of breaking down his star players especially, highlighting some of the things they need to improve upon

The sophomore season is typically when the coaching staff is hoping to see a leap in confidence and productivity as the players have now a better understanding of what is expected, all while continually working on becoming stronger, healthier, Smarter. This is also a stage where they're typically challenged to contribute in other areas they are not comfortable with.

Junior Year, by now everything should be habitual, from practice regimen to game preparation and execution. Continued growth as a player and teammate. Continued development of other aspects of the game, where possible.

Senior season, The biggest adjustment is learning how to be a leader...

that is the basics of the UConn system, by default things such as learning to speak to the media etc, comes with the territory due to the exposure the programs receives.

So if a player leaves before completing all four years they will technically miss out on an important aspect of the UConn process. Though there are some exceptions to this from team to team.

Reaction Score
Okay let's look at my very simple understanding of the system...
Your post is very thoughtful and potentially useful way of looking at UConn basketball. It's a structure that may be useful to you as a way to look at what happens, and hopefully growing when you recognize that the structure was just personal, for you, and that it really wasn't a representation of reality. It doesn't matter, if it serves your purpose.

Basically you may think I'm saying it's a crock, but I'm not.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. When has UConn had a critical player (i.e., a starter or a 6th or 7th player getting major minutes) transfer out? Anna is a past starter who could read the tea leaves and see that her starting days at UConn were behind her if she stayed. Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Mikayla Coombs and Lexi Gordon also saw that they were unlikely ever to start for UConn, so they transferred to another school where they accurately guessed that they would get more minutes. I don't think either Geno or the players can be faulted for these transfers.

If Geno starts losing players who can be expected to be major cogs in future lineups, that will be a different situation.

The other factor that your analysis does not consider is that the transfer portal works in two directions: inbound as well as outbound. Geno is likely to attract players that he does need while losing players that he doesn't really need. While they may need some time to learn his system, players like Evina and Natalie Butler have shown that it can be done. For that matter, the success of three of this year's freshmen shows that the system can be learned in far less than a season by talented and motivated players.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
This looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. When has UConn had a critical player (i.e., a starter or a 6th or 7th player getting major minutes) transfer out? Anna is a past starter who could read the tea leaves and see that her starting days at UConn were behind her if she stayed. Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards, Mikayla Coombs and Lexi Gordon also saw that they were unlikely ever to start for UConn, so they transferred to another school where they accurately guessed that they would get more minutes. I don't think either Geno or the players can be faulted for these transfers.

If Geno starts losing players who can be expected to be major cogs in future lineups, that will be a different situation.

The other factor that your analysis does not consider is that the transfer portal works in two directions: inbound as well as outbound. Geno is likely to attract players that he does need while losing players that he doesn't really need. While they may need some time to learn his system, players like Evina and Natalie Butler have shown that it can be done. For that matter, the success of three of this year's freshmen shows that the system can be learned in far less than a season by talented and motivated players.
Guys :) the UConn system to date is a proven success, that is not what my OP is about...
who in heaven's name can argue against a system that produced, 11 National Championships and 13 straight Final fours etc.

This post is simply a projection of a potential development going forward due to changes in the culture/rules of the game. It is more a question of how these changes going forward may impact how UConn as a program approaches recruiting and player development. It's an Inquiry, not a Prophesy.

Reaction Score
Guys :) the UConn system to date is a proven success, that is not what my OP is about...
who in heaven's name can argue against a system that produced, 11 National Championships and 13 straight Final fours etc.

This post is simply a projection of a potential development going forward due to changes in the culture/rules of the game. It is more a question of how these changes going forward may impact how UConn as a program approaches recruiting and player development. It's an Inquiry, not a Prophesy.

I think the change that could have the most impact on the UConn system is what things look like when the dust settles on NIL regulations. Currently states are playing catch up to what goes into effect this summer in Florida, because if they don’t Florida schools will definitely have a recruiting advantage. What the NCAA, state legislatures, and the courts decide will have long lasting effects on college sports.
The advantage I see for the UConn system, is what other women’s program could possibly match an athlete’s ability to monetize their name, image, and likeness more than the Lady Huskies?

Reaction Score
if you are good enough to play at Uconn you are not transferring out. If you are good enough to play at Ucoon you might be transferring in.

Reaction Score
I agree with you Bajan Best, however if there are too many great players on the team then someone will ultimately transfer if they want to play and don’t see much playing time. I believe that’s why Anna Mak is transferring. For me she’s an excellent player and barring no more injuries she will excel where she chooses. Some posters here don’t believe that but they are just plain negative about her. Go Anna Mak! Shine-Shine-Shine!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I want to reply to a couple different posts, so take my remarks in that vein:

1 - I didn't take the original post as particularly critical, but as stated a subject for discussion. In the abstract, the issues raised in this thread - transfers, NIL and the UConn system of player development are factors that are bound to affect each other over the coming years.

2 - As several identified, I think this season is not going to be representative of transfers going forward, that is, they will be more prevalent in the past but not as prevalent as this season with the extended eligibility. That said, the point buried in one post was particularly germane - it isn't so much the issue of players leaving UConn en-masse (isn't going to happen) but the fact that the pattern of "good" teams / rebuilding / reloading of other teams will likely be affected. I don't think it will bother Geno much, he seems to be pretty much ready for anybody.

3 - The issues of NIL are the wild card. Those issues are going to affect UConn and every team in ways that at this point are obviously unknown. Still, I expect smart programs are already looking ahead at the issue and making their best preparation.

4 - and finally, the 4 season breakdown of UConn system that the OP offered was way to quickly dismissed by some posters - it is almost certainly a mildly generic breakdown of what most teams are trying to do regarding developing players, obviously just an outline. Geno just does it particularly well.

Reaction Score
Short answer, Yes. The UConn "system" is still relevant. But here is the thing, there really isn't a system. Coach Auriemma has a philosophy of play and he recruits players that fit his style or "system" of play.

Reaction Score
Bear in mind this stat:
Current Streaks of Consecutive Final Fours
Connecticut 13
Stanford, Arizona, South Carolina 1
everybody else 0

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Until the one-and-done comes to the women's game or a much more relaxed rule allowing people to leave for the pros early, I don't think wbb landscape will change that much despite the transfer rule changes, if it becomes permanent. It will still be top-heavy until then.
And How far away are we really from a one-and-done in the women's game when you consider that two of the best players in the league this year were freshmen? Plus with so much focus on the disparity between the men's and women's game, how long do you think it will take before the lady's ability to leave for the pro's comes into play? Sadly, it's only a matter of time, my friend.. :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And How far away are we really from a one-and-done in the women's game when you consider that two of the best players in the league this year were freshmen? Plus with so much focus on the disparity between the men's and women's game, how long do you think it will take before the lady's ability to leave for the pro's comes into play? Sadly, it's only a matter of time, my friend.. :)
Keep in mind that "one and done" in the NBA has been around for 15 years now. Back in 2006 many predicted that this current NBA system would be revised in a few years and allow for direct entry from HS. That has not happened. 3 Years ago the NBA proposed phasing in direct entry from HS in a few years that proposal is mostly died with the players association. We are also somewhat isolated by UCONN WBB and maybe perceiving a market that is not there. Put a different way let's suppose Paige and Caitlin are the top two picks in the WNBA draft this season how much will that increase attendance for the WNBA teams to which they were drafted. This article from 2018 indicates in which both Stewie and Sue Bird indicates that as a league the struggle is attracting "new" fans.

Reaction Score
A system that is setup to develop players over a four-year period can mostly be successful only if the players stay for the full 4 years.
I do not give any credence to that contention.
What gives you the impression that Geno's system is intended to develop players over four years and that four years is truly required for their ("most") success? Simply watching this year's team (with no seniors) should dispel that belief. Geno's teams, as with all other WBB teams, develop best when new players show they are ready and are folded into a unit that is already functioning cohesively.
The challenge is to recruit talented players that meet team and system needs and get them up to speed as quickly as possible. Who better than Geno and his assistants to provide that teaching?

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I do not give any credence to that contention.
What gives you the impression that Geno's system is intended to develop players over four years
The words out of Geno and CD's mouths

and that four years is truly required for their ("most") success?
Don't think I said it was required for their most success.
I believe I said they would potentially miss an important part of the UConn system if they opted to leave before finishing all four years.. They are numerous people who have completed the full 4 years at UConn and definitely were not successful with regards to their basketball goals..
Simply watching this year's team (with no seniors) should dispel that belief.
Why?
LOL, not a single person on this year's team have reached their full potential
even the coach has indicated that. whatever limited success any individual player has accomplished this year, they still fell quite short of their ultimate goal(s) and still have much to learn.
Geno's teams, as with all other WBB teams, develop best when new players show they are ready and are folded into a unit that is already functioning cohesively.
They develop best, when they have good coaches and are willing to listen and buy into the instructions given to them.
The challenge is to recruit talented players that meet team and system needs
No argument from me here :)
and get them up to speed as quickly as possible.
NOt sure this is always the case, as some need to slow down :)
Who better than Geno and his assistants to provide that teaching?
As of today, can't say I know of any :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom