Is The Roster Set? | The Boneyard

Is The Roster Set?

Reaction Score
What is the likelihood that Hurley adds a quality player to the roster for this season? I'm thinking we need a shooter and a big man. Is anyone left out there?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Not only is there nothing out there, we are already at 13 scholarships. Seems a bit late for someone to announce they are transferring.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Not only is there nothing out there, we are already at 13 scholarships. Seems a bit late for someone to announce they are transferring.
Unless CV really is done and gets interest internationally or thinks he can make a G-league roster... but probably not.

Reaction Score
The recruiting indicated that possibly the roster is set and the focus is on the beyond but two things jump out at you..
We lost one guard to graduation but added 2 Four was a good number
Five guards competing for limited minutes is unwielding
Especially when one is a POY candidate.
Either one of a number of possible reasons
Gilbert is not ready to play this year
Vital is gone which I didn’t see coming
Adams II will be used primarily as the third in three guard offense .
We have Carlton ,maybe Cobb and the PG. at the five
We also have Wilson, Whaley, Diarra Polley, Williams fighting over the 40-65 available minutes
Dividing 200 minutes is going to be interesting.
The only thing really set is JA will play 35 minutes a game.
Other than that given , its all up in the air.

Reaction Score
The recruiting indicated that possibly the roster is set and the focus is on the beyond but two things jump out at you..
We also have Wilson, Whaley, Diarra Polley, Williams fighting over the 40-65 available minutes
It will be interesting to find out if any of our 4/5s separate themselves to play the bulk of the minutes. I hope so.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roster for next season is set.

They are still awaiting final results from CV and maybe a last minute transfer.

Reaction Score
As for his decision regarding the NBA draft, he has until June 11th to withdraw. So we have as much as roughly 3 weeks of uncertainty remaining there. The idea of a transfer is altogether different though. At this point, doesn't he have until the first day of classes in the fall to decide? If so, that would indeed be him holding the program hostage...and ruin any goodwill CV had built up here over the last couple years. Hopefully he realizes his best option is returning to college...as a Husky!

Key dates to know for the 2018 NBA Draft | NBA.com

Reaction Score
Hold on a second. Gilbert is not going to be ready to play this year? I refuse to entertain this thought. This would be unthinkable because he’s our starting point guard. He’s been rehabbing forever. If he doesn’t play we are back to last year. I’m hoping at least 25 minutes per game for Gilbert until I hear from coach Hurley different.

pj

Reaction Score

This is silly. On a 13-man roster, 5 guards is the norm. (5 guards, 5 bigs, 3 small forwards). With 4 you are perpetually on the verge of short-handed, even if all 4 are ready to play -- you need 3 guards to cover 2 spots with some rest, and a 4th playable guard to do 3 guard lineups which are the norm when protecting a lead late, plus to protect against foul trouble. Usually there's a fifth young guard you're developing for the future. If you have four and one is injured or fouls out, there goes the 3 guard lineup at the end of games or the rest for your starters.

Vital hasn't left yet. Gilbert will be ready.

I agree that how the 200 minutes are divided will be interesting. We'll see. But having lots of competition for minutes is a good thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing with CV, either he is good enough to get a pro gig or he isn't. If he is, then testing the water was the right move. If he isn't then he'll be back on the roster with a better idea of his shortcomings. I'm content to wait a week and half and find out which is it.

I suspect we will be welcoming back on the roster.

I agree that how the 200 minutes are divided will be interesting. We'll see. But having lots of competition for minutes is a good thing.

This is Cobbs tweet looms large. Hurley clearly communicating where people stand and what they need to work on will make the summer productive, build chemistry and make the product on the court far more cohesive.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing with CV, either he is good enough to get a pro gig or he isn't. If he is, then testing the water was the right move. If he isn't then he'll be back on the roster with a better idea of his shortcomings. I'm content to wait a week and half and find out which is it.

I suspect we will be welcoming back on the roster.

I agree with all you've mentioned about CV here CL82, except the idea that he has to make his decision final in 1 1/2 weeks. Is there a different deadline than the one the NBA uses on it's web site* as the final date a player can withdraw from the draft...that being June 11th. You're not the only one who's mentioned it...so thought I'd ask.

*Key dates to know for the 2018 NBA Draft | NBA.com

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hold on a second. Gilbert is not going to be ready to play this year? I refuse to entertain this thought. This would be unthinkable because he’s our starting point guard. He’s been rehabbing forever. If he doesn’t play we are back to last year. I’m hoping at least 25 minutes per game for Gilbert until I hear from coach Hurley different.

He'll be ready to go physically to start the year. No idea how much training or work on his game he'll be able to accomplish between now and then. I imagine his minutes will be monitored for the 1st half of the year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Didn't have remotely enough guards last year, so Hurley fixes the problem. Now we've got people worried there are not enough minutes to go around. Amazing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree with all you've mentioned about CV here CL82, except the idea that he has to make his decision final in 1 1/2 weeks. Is there a different deadline than the one the NBA uses on it's web site* as the final date a player can withdraw from the draft...that being June 11th. You're not the only one who's mentioned it...so thought I'd ask.

*Key dates to know for the 2018 NBA Draft | NBA.com

The NCAA mandate is that guys have 10 days from the end of the Draft Combine to withdraw and remain eligible. The Draft combine is May 16-20. All students must withdraw on or before May 30th if they want to remain eligible.

Reaction Score
The NCAA mandate is that guys have 10 days from the end of the Draft Combine to withdraw and remain eligible. The Draft combine is May 16-20. All students must withdraw on or before May 30th if they want to remain eligible.
Thanks for the explanation Intlzncster. So the NBA's deadline is different than the NCAA's, but if you're returning, it's only the NCAA's that matters.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@2Infinity twice linked to an NBA site that shows June 11th. I see that you are saying that there is an NCAA mandate that would supercede this date. Curious to know if anyone has a link.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation Intlzncster. So the NBA's deadline is different than the NCAA's, but if you're returning, it's only the NCAA's that matters.

Yes, as they are the ones that determine eligibility. The NBA doesn't care about that at all. Their date is so that teams can know who is or isn't going to be in the draft and organize their boards accordingly.

The NCAA used to have the date be prior to the Combine, which was ludicrous. They changed that a couple of years ago iirc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom