Is the Liberty tanking? | The Boneyard

Is the Liberty tanking?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The Liberty is 7-17 and not single attempt to find a starting five that can win games. Same-old same-old lineup?! I assume Kate Smith can coach ... not as well as she can play ... but at least try to win. Supposedly Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Is it the lousy organization? Are they tanking for a high draft pick? Who?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m sure there is more to it than this, but Bill left the Liberty, who are struggling, and went to Las Vegas, the most improved team in the league. Is Katie solid head coach material? I hope so, but I don’t know.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Without following very closely, I'm under the impression Katie Smith is in over her head. Last year San Antonio had a first time head coach that probably shouldn't have been a head coach. It happens.

Reaction Score
who are going to be the top three players graduating next year? Is it worth tanking for any of them?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Isn't draft position based on record over a 2 year period? I don't think the Liberty can tank hard enough to make up for being one of the better teams in the league last season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well., Liberty lead at the half 50-46 so I guess if they are trying to tank, they are not doing that well either. Tina with 21 at the half. (9 rb at half) deserves so much better,

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Triad has it right. This was a game they could have and should have won. 3 years ago, they would have won this game. NY allowed too many easy baskets. Their defense is horrible. SMH. Until they get Tina some help, this is what Liberty fans can look forward to.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Triad has it right. This was a game they could have and should have won. 3 years ago, they would have won this game. NY allowed too many easy baskets. Their defense is horrible. SMH. Until they get Tina some help, this is what Liberty fans can look forward to.

Their fans are mostly in the city and the team is in the suburbs. Idiotic organization.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fowles had 27 pts. and 11 reb. Must've been quite a battle between her and Charles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Isn't draft position based on record over a 2 year period? I don't think the Liberty can tank hard enough to make up for being one of the better teams in the league last season.

Correct. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think the Liberty could lose every game and it would do nothing to help their draft position (this year, at least).

Reaction Score
Charles is a bona fide superstar, but unfortunately for the Liberty, she's just not getting enough help from her teammates this season. Last night's very winnable game against the Lynx was a case in point for that. Of the supporting case, I'd say only Zahui B played to her potential. Others, some of whom have been very good in prior years, are just not sufficiently bringing it this season, for whatever reason. That includes Rodgers, Hartley, Nurse, Boyd (who had a good game but committed a very stupid and costly foul in the final seconds) and especially Stokes, who after this game I've regrettably concluded is probably never going to get it together offensively. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She has a funny way of showing it....
I've been trying to withhold judgement on Katie Smith until a larger body of work is in, but the results do kind of speak for themselves. I could definitely see her as a candidate to soon replace Sandy Brondello as my most maligned coach in the WNBA. :p

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Looking at the Liberty roster, a lot of guards (7) and centers (4) and one forward. Strikes me as an unbalanced roster to start with.
As to Katie Smith, its early to tell, especially with this roster, but I'm not impressed so far.

The Liberty's situation with the owner wanting out and playing in White Plains, of all places, does not lend itself to quality.

Reaction Score
Should it not read "Are the Liberty Tanking" ? Is or Are? Grammar experts let me know

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom