Is overseas $$$ worth the risk? | The Boneyard

Is overseas $$$ worth the risk?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
2011 incident so old news, and based on the result it looks like it was a 'flash bang' that likely would not have injured anyone if they hadn't been holding it. (A standard grenade would have done damage to a lot more people and killed the security man.)

That said, there are likely heightened security issues overseas, but except for a few places they aren't that much higher than right here at home. Given the situation in Turkey that is one place I might be inclined to avoid. Death by violence in the US per capita is in the top half of nations so staying home isn't all that safe.

Reaction Score
Whether playing overseas is more dangerous or not, and Uc Miami makes a case that it isn't, the deciding factor for players going overseas is the money. Until the WNBA pays players the kind of money they can get overseas they'll continue to go and perhaps but themselves in harms way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Erdowan's body guards attacked and beat protestors in a good neighborhood in D.C. yesterday. That makes me unwilling to return to Turkey.

Reaction Score

Has anyone done a study of how many USA players have been attacked, killed, injured in overseas playing? I have not read of any. That's the key to being fearful--know who is being attacked--but remember over there you aren't in Kansas any longer Dorothy!! A dose of Paranoia keeps one alive when not home.

Reaction Score
I suggest the USA has that market cornered!!

We probably have more than our fair share, but we certainly don't have a monopoly.
Meanwhile, back to the original question: it appears that Kayla McBride and Courtney Vandersloot think it's worth it. McBride was effusive in her praise of Vandersloot on Instagram.

Reaction Score
We probably have more than our fair share, but we certainly don't have a monopoly.
Meanwhile, back to the original question: it appears that Kayla McBride and Courtney Vandersloot think it's worth it. McBride was effusive in her praise of Vandersloot on Instagram.
]]

Read the original ////// Which came from Vowel Guy: There are crazy people everywhere-/////-your mis use of my reply--is interesting to say the least.

I think we do have a Monopoly on Vocal Crazies----and in recent years an extremely la

Back in the "repressive day" of the past---Toby Kimball, UConn MBB==took his chance in Italy.
WMBA players are not kids, read the paper, see the tv internet,etc---and must make their own evaluations of playing away from the USA--and remember the are no longer in Kansas--Dorothy. My opinion---I don't try to change your opinion--just state mine.

Reaction Score
Even the Monopoly game added a chance card stating, "Get shot on Mediterranean Ave. Pay $500 in doctor bills." :)

Reaction Score
]]

Read the original ////// Which came from Vowel Guy: There are crazy people everywhere-/////-your mis use of my reply--is interesting to say the least.

I think we do have a Monopoly on Vocal Crazies----and in recent years an extremely la

Back in the "repressive day" of the past---Toby Kimball, UConn MBB==took his chance in Italy.
WMBA players are not kids, read the paper, see the tv internet,etc---and must make their own evaluations of playing away from the USA--and remember the are no longer in Kansas--Dorothy. My opinion---I don't try to change your opinion--just state mine.

I did read the original. When I quoted BroadwayVa's post, I thought vowelguy's post would be included. I was surprised to see that it wasn't, but being a complete Luddite, and not all that familiar with board procedures, I just let it go. It certainly wasn't my intention to mis use anyone's reply, or to give offense in any manner. I apologize.

Even the Monopoly game added a chance card stating, "Get shot on Mediterranean Ave. Pay $500 in doctor bills." :)

Having been shot once, I never go to Mediterranean Ave. There were no bills, as I was in the Army at the time. No, not Vietnam, New Mexico. Friendly fire.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
A Duke fan at Maryland dodging water bottles and other things had its risk.

Reaction Score
The top three finishers in the NBA's Most Valuable Player voting 2016 season — Kevin Durant LeBron James and Blake Griffin — had an annual base salary of $17.8 million, $19 million and $16.4 million, respectively.

The most any of the top three vote-getters in the WNBA MVP voting — Candace Parker, Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne — can make is $105,000, which by league rules is the maximum salary allowed for an individual player. The team salary cap for the WNBA last year was $913,000, with bonus payouts ranging from $1,050 for making the playoffs to $10,500 for winning the WNBA title.

Take Brittney Griner, a three-time All-American at Baylor University who dominated the college ranks like few players in history (and even entertained trying out for an NBA team). She was the first overall pick in the 2013 WNBA draft, but as a rookie, could only make $49,440 per the WNBA's tight-pursed salary rules.

At the end of her first season, she played for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls of the Women's Chinese Basketball Association and earned $600,000 for a four-month season — or more than a dozen times her maximum WNBA salary — posting averages of 24.1 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots.

Diana Taurasi, for example, makes $1.5 million from her Russian team, enough that she infamously chose to skip the 2015 season after she was asked to do so by the team, UMMC Ekaterinburg.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When I saw the topic I thought it was about investing in Emerging Market countries.

I don't care what they pay, the risk involved in some countries is not worth it. Then again, you could be sight seeing in the middle of Times Square and........oh well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom