Wtf is Ollie's half court offense philosophy? | The Boneyard

Wtf is Ollie's half court offense philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry for making a thread outside the game thread, and I'll gladly eat crow if they miraculously turn it around in the second half, but our offense is just abysmal. I can see what he wants to do on defense, but our offense is just a series of Hamilton, Gibbs, Adams, and Purvis holding the ball or dribbling it stationary. It's literally the easiest offense to guard in the world. How many times are we going to go down by double digits in a big game before he changes something? It's absolutely absurd. We have talented offensive players that are being held back by a bad offensive coach. Something needs to change.

Reaction Score
I've said at least 20 times this year, so why not make it an odd number. For some reason KO insists on running high screen/rolls with our 5 men in the first half. A competent coach sees this and coaches his big man to double the guard b/c there is zero chance that our 5 is a threat anywhere outside 3 feet. So our guard is now doubled and is under duress and kicks it out to one of our other guys. The whole scenario starts over. Rinse, repeat... Clock winds down, quick! Someone go 1 on 4 and throw up some crap. Or just dribble out the clock. That's what our offense in the 1st half of many games feels like. For whatever reason it takes KO and the staff an entire half to run that snow before they make an adjustment.

Having two fairly mediocre "point" guards doesn't help and having below average handlers at the 2 and 3 also does not help. But the sets themselves are just flawed before you factor in our individual player weaknesses.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. If I have to watch Gibbs going 1 on 1 failing to go around his man like it's a brick wall 5 more minutes my hair's gonna start falling out. Why isn't he being run off screens ala Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon and basically any UConn player ever who could shoot? The difference in the last SMU game to now shows the pedigree of coaching adjustments by Larry Brown compared to Ollie.
I know SMU is home playing their last games and whatnot but besides emotionally overrun we're being tactically destroyed.

Reaction Score
Our talented offensive players aren't really all that talented. We have 2 players that can beat their man off the dribble. On good nights.

Definitely true. But that argument would hold more weight if we were in the old big east. We're not playing more talented teams every night (maybe tonight).

We have more talent than just about every team in the league. The problem is we have no idea how to use it, and as the op said, have absolutely zero offensive game plan. It's nonexistent.

Reaction Score
Its clear we can't rely on someone to beat their man off the dribble. Since that is the only possible way of getting a good shot in basketball we are screwed. I only wish there were a way to free someone up without driving the basketball

Reaction Score
Offensive Philosophy
Play 1: Keep weaving around the three point line until the crowd starts yelling "10, 9, ....."
Play 2: Let Gibbs showcase his streetball skills for at least 10 seconds then go to Play 1
Play 3: Let Adams bring it down, pass it to Gibbs, then go to Play 2

Defensive Philosophy
Rule 1: Hope team misses.
Rule 2: REALLY hope team misses.

Reaction Score
Offensive Philosophy
Play 1: Keep weaving around the three point line until the crowd starts yelling "10, 9, ....."
Play 2: Let Gibbs showcase his streetball skills for at least 10 seconds then go to Play 1

Defensive Philosophy

The defense is objectively good. But the offense is so stagnant and stale. And nothing has changed in our sets.

Reaction Score
The problem is at least in part a painful lack of chemistry.

The concerning thing is that we have 4 freshmen coming in next season who will need to produce. It's one thing when a couple veterans come in, but these will be green fresh faces.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our talented offensive players aren't really all that talented. We have 2 players that can beat their man off the dribble. On good nights.

So develop an offense that emphasizes off ball movement and get shooters open looks?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Offensive Philosophy

Defensive Philosophy
Play 1 happens about 95% of the game...

Reaction Score
My gf and I call there offense the willy nilly....dribble around for 33 seconds and whoever has it last toss it up.

Reaction Score
I never bought in that this was a good defensive team. They've shown they can but they're just not consistent.

Reaction Score
I never bought in that this was a good defensive team. They've shown they can but they're just not consistent.

They're 11th in the country in efficiency. They have lapses, but they're good on that end.

Reaction Score
This has been the biggest disappointment of KO's tenure.

He was supposed to come in from the NBA, having played under all of these great coaches, with an innovative and exciting offense.

Instead it's worse than under JC, who was never renowned for his offensive sets.

Reaction Score
"anytime UConn gets a clean offensive rebound its off to the races" - announcers

Brimah still in the game, getting pushed around.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

He was supposed to come in from the NBA, having played under all of these great coaches, with an innovative and exciting offense.

Instead it's worse than under JC, who was never renowned for his offensive sets.

Calhoun's team's may have been inconsistent but he had very good sets many years.

Reaction Score

Ah but those coaches were coaching pros

Reaction Score
They're 11th in the country in efficiency. They have lapses, but they're good on that end.
I'd have to think those stats are padded from pushover teams. Not sure how they measure efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom