Is Nick Saban the Geno of CFB ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Nick Saban the Geno of CFB ...

Reaction Score
Geno built UConn from nothing. Pretty sure Alabama had a pretty good program before Saban got there.
Exactly. Thats a pretty big difference. Bear Bryant had won 5 Titles in his coaching career at Alabama & many still rank him as the greatest CFB ever. He's still an icon 40 years after his last game.

Reaction Score
I think it's gotten boring to an extent like how I thought WCBB did for a stretch when UCONN was dominating with Stewart. It's usually the same teams each year and the games more often than not just aren't competitive. I also think it'd go a long way to extend the CFP to 8 teams instead of 4.

Losses matter a lot more than wins in football which incentivizes teams to schedule lightly to give them a shot to have a great record. Football greatly penalizes you for losing early games, as we saw with Oklahoma this year. I think A&M was far more deserving than Notre Dame for the last spot and got punished for the stupid SEC East/West divisions so they didn't get to compete for their conference title despite having one loss. Instead, Florida competes who is a team that had a worse record, lower ranking, and who A&M beat head to head. Even Ohio State was questionable with only winning 6 games and missing their conference title, although they removed any doubt when they clobbered Clemson.

A few years ago, Georgia was penalized and passed over for top 4 because of a very close loss to Alabama in the SEC title. Instead, a mediocre Oklahoma team got the 4th slot due to a lighter schedule which meant 1 less loss, and as a result they weren't able to compete with Alabama and the game wasn't competitive. Georgia/Alabama round 2 would've been much more competitive and I thought Georgia was robbed in that instance.

Spread out the CFP to 8 teams and anyone who isn't in the top 8 doesn't have a strong claim IMO that they could have won three straight against the nation's best to win a title, where as the #5 and #6 teams do have a real shot in some years. It'll force teams to schedule tougher since they can still get in with 2 losses but need resume boosters.
I think they can stretch it to 16 teams for the playoffs. You're only adding 2 more weeks of games and with that more schools involved. With the added playoff system recruits would see that they don't have to go to certain schools ( Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson ) to be in the playoffs. I agree it is getting boring and they should let the polls decide again if they don't want to change it. They can use the best Bowl Games for the playoffs.
The best recruits may decide to go elsewhere or players who are 2nd team say for a Alabama may want to get a chance to beat them for a National Championship.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think they can stretch it to 16 teams for the playoffs. You're only adding 2 more weeks of games and with that more schools involved. With the added playoff system recruits would see that they don't have to go to certain schools ( Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson ) to be in the playoffs. I agree it is getting boring and they should let the polls decide again if they don't want to change it. They can use the best Bowl Games for the playoffs.
The best recruits may decide to go elsewhere or players who are 2nd team say for a Alabama may want to get a chance to beat them for a National Championship.

Yeah we'll see. I'd love a 16 team tournament. Not sure if makes the most sense money wise but from a competition standpoint it'd be fantastic.

Reaction Score
Yeah we'll see. I'd love a 16 team tournament. Not sure if makes the most sense money wise but from a competition standpoint it'd be fantastic.
Using the bowl games they can make the sponsors put up more money. That way the bowls for those games had the best teams and not ones with weak records. I would love to see it happen!

Reaction Score
Bama is now getting the top qbs now thats the scary thing, no longer have system qbs. Saban has adapted to the change of times with advanced offenses thats what great coaches do. He just hires the top offensive coaches now resurrecting their careers, and is ready to hire the next guy when they leave.

Yes Saban and Geno get the best players but what do they do with those players and why do those players wanna play for them they had to win before top players went there right.

Saban and Geno are similar in the sense that they pay attention to detail. Stressing the fundamentals, and playing mistake free no matter what the score is and are always looking ahead to the next game, never being satisfied, always picking out flaws in their teams no matter how well they play or what they accomplish. Also the way they handle the media is a skill in itself making sure the cameras are on them selling their program to recruits and taking the pressure off their team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom