Is Navy Trying to Join in 2014? | The Boneyard

Is Navy Trying to Join in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I really should not be allowed to use the combination of Google and the words "Big East Conference", but here is a recent article that alludes to Navy perhaps trying to speed up the timetable and join the conference in 2014 (with source article):

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/04/navy-cancels-four-game-football-series-unlv/
http://www.lvrj.com/hottopics/unlv_football.html

Granted, there isn't much there, so I'm not sure if this is just pure speculation or not. The Las Vegas Review Journal sounded a little more reputable than some weird Tweet, though. If this is true, I obviously like it. Thoughts?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I was wondering if the new "2014" date being thrown around had anything to do with coinciding with the new tv contract negotiations. As you all may recall, our ESPN deal ends December 31, 2013. I'm wondering if, during the course of our pre-negotiation shopping, that it came up that we would get x amount of dollars if Navy is on board (no pun intended). It certainly is curious for a team that was tentative to join to now wish to up the timetable a year and go through all the headache of rearranging an already-made schedule.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I was wondering if the new "2014" date being thrown around had anything to do with coinciding with the new tv contract negotiations. As you all may recall, our ESPN deal ends December 31, 2013. I'm wondering if, during the course of our pre-negotiation shopping, that it came up that we would get x amount of dollars if Navy is on board (no pun intended). It certainly is curious for a team that was tentative to join to now wish to up the timetable a year and go through all the headache of rearranging an already-made schedule.

i think ur on the money here with this. let cuse and pitt go early and collect 20mil or w/e from each just like wvu. bring in navy for 2014 so that our contract is the best possible. have it already set up so if we add team x and why the contract gets this much more $$$ per team. perfect storm is brewing in the BE office.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i think ur on the money here with this. let cuse and pitt go early and collect 20mil or w/e from each just like wvu. bring in navy for 2014 so that our contract is the best possible. have it already set up so if we add team x and why the contract gets this much more $$$ per team. perfect storm is brewing in the BE office.

From your lips to TV moguls' ears!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are wondering if that is speculation? It's a throwaway paragraph in a Las Vegas newspaper. It's about the definition of speculation.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are wondering if that is speculation? It's a throwaway paragraph in a Las Vegas newspaper. It's about the definition of speculation.

I guess I didn't do a good job of wording this one. It is clear that it is speculation; the question in my mind is what led to the follow-up article mentioning 2014 as the possible new timetable? It might not be worth the keyboard that it was typed on, but it is weird for a newspaper (even if it is in Vegas) to throw out a date without something behind it, isn't it? Or is that just my mistaken belief that the "4th estate" is still a properly-functioning part of society? (I think I know the answer to my question....)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
navy got rid of unlv and cuse off the schedule. 2014!

navy in the BE will have this now in 2014 potentially.

1-UCF
2-USF
3-Temple
4-Ruty
5-UConn
6-Cincy
7-Lville or Memphis (depending on who is here and in what division then...)
8-(cross over to west division game)
9-Army OOC
10- ND OOC
11-? (could be a warmup game like a fcs)
12-? (could be a bcs ooc game or it could be a 2nd crossover game to the west division like a SDSU would make alot of sense)

they get to keep all that matters with nd/army/

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
navy got rid of unlv and cuse off the schedule. 2014!

I assumed that the reason the 2014 game with UNLV was cancelled was that there would be no return game in 2015. That by itself is not really all that suggestive of the 2014 timeline to the Big East. I hadn't heard about a 'Cuse game cancellation in 2014, though. Is that true? Link? If so, that would start to make me feel a little better about the Vegas speculation.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
When Navy announced they were joining the Big East in 2015, it was evident that they would have to ditch several non-conference games. That process has begun as a four-game football series with UNLV has been canceled.
Navy and UNLV were scheduled to meet in Las Vegas in 2014 (Oct. 11) and 2017 (Oct. 7) and in Annapolis in 2015 (Sept. 5) and 2016 (Sept. 17). The 2014 game would have been the first ever meeting between the two schools.
The Midshipmen also had a four game, home-and-home series set with the SMU Mustangs for 2015-18. With SMU moving to the Big East in 2013, that non-conference series will be canceled too if it hasn’t been already.
Navy has eight non-Big East games remaining on their 2015 football schedule. At least four of those will have to be canceled and possibly five if the Big East plays a nine-game conference slate. The Army-Navy series will continue, but it remains to be seen if Air Force-Navy does also.
Although they are scheduled to join the Big East in 2015, the Las Vegas Review-Journal suggests Navy could “move up the timetable.” If that is 2014, the Middies have a lot more work to do. Their 2014 schedule consists of 11 games, although two are Army and Air Force and two are Big East teams (Rutgers and Temple).
The cancellation leaves UNLV with two non-conference games in 2014 (at Arizona, vs. Louisiana Tech), one in 2015 (UCLA), two in 2016 (at UCLA, vs. Idaho) and one in 2017 (at Idaho).

cuse will be off it soon enough...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought Navy was no longer expected. I count a baker's dozen in the football league. Either the Big East is expecting to lose someone, or is going to add someone.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I thought Navy was no longer expected. I count a baker's dozen in the football league. Either the Big East is expecting to lose someone, or is going to add someone.

were expecting to lose lville to the b12 at some point.

uconn/ruty/temple/cincy/navy/usf/ucf/memphis
uh/smu/bsu/sdsu/?/?/?/?/

byu/fresno/unlv or unr/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members