Is Josh Carlton really going to be the hardest-working man in high-major hoops this season? | The Boneyard

Is Josh Carlton really going to be the hardest-working man in high-major hoops this season?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

"Going into Thursday's contests, no player from Division I's top seven conferences had recorded a higher number for possession usage at KenPom.com than Connecticut's Josh Carlton."

Reaction Score
Imperative that our early touches to Josh against Buffalo that he converts. He didn't do that against St Joes and its what set us back and them on their run. Need to make it a match up nightmare for them and not vice versa

Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for sharing this.

It's interesting that the number is that high considering Josh hasn't really played up to his potential yet this year. But, on the other hand, we are definitely force-feeding him in the post early and often. It's obviously super important for this team for Josh to score a lot.

Definitely curious to see if this continues. In both of the past years, Josh has gotten much better as the season has progressed. In particular, he was terrible last year against real competition up until conference play.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Josh dominate tonight. He's gonna be guarded by a much smaller player. Also, playing a few hours away from his home state of North Carolina.

Reaction Score
89 ORtg
48.5% 2P
24.8% TORate

He hasn’t been good overall, but he’s had a couple great 2nd halves, most importantly against Florida when Whaley had thoroughly outplayed him in the 1H. That 37.6% usage rate is obviously much too high for him and will regress. Hopefully we see that FG% creep back up to last year’s 60%. He’s always been turnover prone, so he needs to finish.

Reaction Score
89 ORtg
48.5% 2P
24.8% TORate

He hasn’t been good overall, but he’s had a couple great 2nd halves, most importantly against Florida when Whaley had thoroughly outplayed him in the 1H. That 37.6% usage rate is obviously much too high for him and will regress. Hopefully we see that FG% creep back up to last year’s 60%. He’s always been turnover prone, so he needs to finish.

25% TORate is hot garbage. He really needs to learn to deal with double teams. He looks really uncomfortable and off-balance when smaller guys get up under him. I think a key to helping that would be doing his work without the ball earlier. He likes to get the ball on the block and dribble or pivot into a good position. He's great at this compared to most guys in NCAA MBB, but he'd have an easier time if he got a smaller defender on his back under the basket, and could just lay the ball in more often.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe how often we ran our offense through Josh against FL. Seems like he had the ball in his hands way too much imo. Without a drive to the rim guard it didn't make much sense to always pull him so far from the rim. With Bouk it may be different.

Reaction Score
He’s kinda a New Age goofy Kevin McHale. Not extraordinarily athletic; but good solid steps with his footwork. Of course, McHale has go go gadget wingspan. But the wide shoulders look similar.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe how often we ran our offense through Josh against FL. Seems like he had the ball in his hands way too much imo. Without a drive to the rim guard it didn't make much sense to always pull him so far from the rim. With Bouk it may be different.
I agree that we went to him a bit too much because he's not a great passer out of the post, especially on double teams. But maybe he can improve with experience. I still like them feeding him, but not as a way to run offense through him. A positive, I noticed though, is that he has unbelievable hands/hand-eye coordination. There were a handful of passes that our previous centers never would've caught. Josh caught everything or tipped the ball to himself or a teammate.

Reaction Score
I actually debated on Sunday if IW is better suited to start rather than JC. Keep in mind, I stress "start" not "finish." My thought process is four fold 1) it allows JC on the bench to figure how the game is being called and we don't need to worry about 2 immediate fouls. 2) the current starting five are not necessarily high energy performers in contrast to JA, SW, IW, JB? who are on the bench. IW gives them a little more balance w/ energy guys in the starting lineup as well as the bench. 3) JC should abuse the opponents bench which only helps his confidence when we need him at the end of the game. 4) it will help reduce JC''s turnovers because the opponents bench players are rarely as prepared as the starters in implementing the double teams in the game plan.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What's weird to me is that he used to be pretty good at keeping the ball up for a young guy. Now he seems to incorporating the power dribble into his game, and I've noticed it's lead to a few turnovers and poor shots.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
25% TORate is hot garbage. He really needs to learn to deal with double teams. He looks really uncomfortable and off-balance when smaller guys get up under him. I think a key to helping that would be doing his work without the ball earlier. He likes to get the ball on the block and dribble or pivot into a good position. He's great at this compared to most guys in NCAA MBB, but he'd have an easier time if he got a smaller defender on his back under the basket, and could just lay the ball in more often.

Noticed that as well. He's at his absolute best when he parks his big butt right under the hoop, catches, turns and lays it in. No dribble. Any handling by Josh is a net negative.

His best asset is his strength, and that's a good way to utilize it

Reaction Score
I Love feeding josh but only when he can catch deep. He can’t do much catching at 16feet out.

Also, I hate force feeding him to start the game when the opponents are so ready for it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Do you think not having Kenya is an issue?

Reaction Score
Do you think not having Kenya is an issue?

My guess is as good as yours. But probably not--he hasn't been out that long. Carlton's improvement is due to the hours and hours of reps he's put in with Kenya, not just a few weeks of his illness. And at this point, the same drills and skills Kenya taught can just be repped out with Taliek or whoever else.

Reaction Score
My guess is as good as yours. But probably not--he hasn't been out that long. Carlton's improvement is due to the hours and hours of reps he's put in with Kenya, not just a few weeks of his illness. And at this point, the same drills and skills Kenya taught can just be repped out with Taliek or whoever else.

Kenya is a bigger factor than you think. Plus Kenya can analyze and in game coach/adjust Josh. Kenya has done a great job with Whaley also.

Kenya would be tuning these guys up during the game

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Carlton reminds me a little of Gavin Edwards.

1574378500611.png

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Heeeee reeeemiiiinnnndddsss meeeeeeee ooooof GGAAAAAAAVVIIIIIINNN EEEEDDDDDWAAARRRDSSSSSS.

sorry I don’t know how to type in sign language
F9CE437D-94C6-4F81-8271-AB00699EE999.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I actually debated on Sunday if IW is better suited to start rather than JC. Keep in mind, I stress "start" not "finish." My thought process is four fold 1) it allows JC on the bench to figure how the game is being called and we don't need to worry about 2 immediate fouls. 2) the current starting five are not necessarily high energy performers in contrast to JA, SW, IW, JB? who are on the bench. IW gives them a little more balance w/ energy guys in the starting lineup as well as the bench. 3) JC should abuse the opponents bench which only helps his confidence when we need him at the end of the game. 4) it will help reduce JC''s turnovers because the opponents bench players are rarely as prepared as the starters in implementing the double teams in the game plan.

I mentioned a need to shake up starting lineup after UF game. This is a change that would get the team playing with more energy. Josh seems to work better after players have worn down a bit.

Reaction Score
Good to see he's getting some recognition. Feed the paint, good things happen. They used him hard in the Florida game especially second half I think to foul out Blackshear. Once he was in foul trouble Carlton feasted. During St Joe's he was a matchup problem due to the fluky offense they play pulling him away from the basket. I think we'll see Josh pulled in and out of games depending on how he can defend. Against teams that play with a center in the paint he will see time and should be effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom