Is it time to take a chance on a kid? | The Boneyard

Is it time to take a chance on a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So - no one still knows what type of offense we want to run as the Coach has repeated again, what we are seeing is not it.

Is it time to give a 2nd chance to a kid?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/132528/kevin-olsen

I cant find info on if he has enrolled anywhere but if UConn is the place where QB's come to die - lets get Kevin Olsen. BD has NJ ties and if the kid loves football where better to start over without the pressures of Big Time Football.

Reaction Score
Has he announced he is transferring? His dad is kind of a big deal in NJ HS football. Don't know if would be mettlesome or not. I think this kid had a brother who was a QB at UVA and another who was a TE in Miami and is in the NFL.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Bonehead... I know this isn't the gist of the thread, but to your first paragraph-

At what point does Diaco finally run the offense he wants to run? Because so far, he hasn't, and frankly I don't think he's run one tailored to give our guys the best chance to win. It's been just the basics, for evaluation and development only. And my question to that is - why not evaluate and develop based on what you want to run? If the answer is because he doesn't have confidence for us not to turn the ball over and we get steamrolled... Well we are doing a bang up job of that anyway. Why not at least lose with interesting play calling? Will the training wheels come off when the players are at a 200 level? 400 level? What are we waiting for...

Reaction Score
At this point, we are so down, I have made a 180 on this. I'd take a chance with just about anyone. I'd go full Louisville.

Reaction Score
Has he announced he is transferring?
He didn't have to announce he was transferring - Al Golden made the decision for him. Dismissed from the U back in September.

Reaction Score
the best part of his game on his profile that I like " reads "... Our QBs (other than CC) couldn't get past the first read 95% of the time....maybe more....

Reaction Score
So - no one still knows what type of offense we want to run as the Coach has repeated again, what we are seeing is not it.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/132528/kevin-olsen

I cant find info on if he has enrolled anywhere but if UConn is the place where QB's come to die - lets get Kevin Olsen. BD has NJ ties and if the kid loves football where better to start over without the pressures of Big Time Football.

I must say I'm relieved. I read the headline and thought I was going to have to suffer through another thread about Spackler's ritualistic sacrifices.

Reaction Score
Agreed Bonehead. BD just has to let him know 1 strike and yer out.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I must say I'm relieved. I read the headline and thought I was going to have to suffer through another thread about Spackler's ritualistic sacrifices.
Laugh out loud funny - coworkers were staring at me...

Reaction Score

I think we should start giving second chances on high profile athletes. Majority of them actually stay out of trouble when given the second chance and help there new team a lot. Doral Green-Beckham and Michael Dyer are two who comes to mind. Let's not forget McCombs was given more than enough chances here and he didn't get the boot until BD got here. If we gave McCombs chances then we should give players like Beckham and Dyer chances to help build this program. Kevin Olsen was highly recruited coming out of high school and I feel depending on the issue he should be given a chance.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't know how ktuck missed it, but we really ought to be looking at the PSU kid who just announced he was transferring. Pocket passer but who the knows what kind of offense we're planning on running next year.

Reaction Score
I don't know how ktuck missed it, but we really ought to be looking at the PSU kid who just announced he was transferring. Pocket passer but who the knows what kind of offense we're planning on running next year.
lol... somebody beat me to that one bro.. I'm layin low... I've made my mark.. now let the true #BleedBlue fans #RiseUp, #HuskyUp and rep.... That O'Connor kid might just be what the doctor ordered for us...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I think it's somewhat obvious what style of qb wants. Look at the first two quarterbacks he brought in.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/prep...fferson-qb-bryant-shirreffs-transfer-nc-state
"A key factor in his decision to attend NC State was head coach Dave Doeren’s offense while Doeren was at Northern Illinois, Shirreffs said. But as spring practice began this season, the offense began to change.

“It’s changing to more of a drop-back style,” Shirreffs said. “I can play that, I played that in high school, but as far as my best quarterbacking, it would be in a spread style where I can move around."

and...

Reaction Score
You sure about O'Connor not fitting what we're trying to do? Here's his HS highlight tape. Seems to play with a sense of urgency to me.. Stands tall in the pocket and can tuck and run it need be.. Quick release... May not be a read option type but he's got some ability that would help this team... Looks like a leader out there too.. Hope we bring in as much competition as we need to. Leave no stone unturned:

Reaction Score
How about one that can score 5-7 TDs per game?

Reaction Score
Michael O'Connor's ESPN HS recruit profile below... if we don't at least kick the tires here I'd be pi$$ed.. pretty much all the stuff we saw our QBs couldn't do he could:

Size-Strength-Mobility Even though he possesses ideal measurables and athleticism for the position, we would still term him to be a late bloomer, which excites coaches. Tall with a frame to put on good weight. Good feet and can extend a play. Has very good running skills for a rangy frame; can execute the zone-read.

Mental-Makeup Good pocket awareness. Makes quick, good decisions in both the passing game and the running game. Good poise and shows confidence in running his offense. Shows the ability to throw the ball with defenders in his face. Tough, will not shy away from contact when running the football. Good ball handler.

Accuracy Gets his hips turned up field when throwing on the run for accuracy. Puts the ball on the target in the short passing game. Shows the ability to complete the ball into tight windows when on time. His throwing mechanics are sound, which allows him to be consistent with ball placement.

Release/Arm Strength Holds the ball with both hands in a ready throwing position -- he is well coached in his mechanics. Keeps his feet under him and steps into his throws. Has an over the top release that is fluid and efficient. The ball comes out of his hand with velocity and rotation. Still needs to do a better job of carrying the ball higher to eliminate wasted motion in his delivery. Looked to have adequate-to-good arm strength. Isn't often asked to stretch the wide side of the field with intermediate and deep routes. Was able to hit the seam route with velocity and touch. Need to validate arm strength this fall.

Bottom Line O'Connor is going to be a fun guy to track. Has one of the higher ceilings of development this class has to offer. A player that has tremendous upside physically and he is a resourceful player when things break down. Is similar to David Cornwell in this class, only not quite as physically advanced yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom