Is it time to shut down Lou? | The Boneyard

Is it time to shut down Lou?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When she’s healthy, Lou is one of the best players in the country. When she’s not healthy she’s a warrior who’s willing to battle through injury, illness and the occasional muggings she receives from opposing teams.

This season, chronic foot/ankle problems have already kept Lou out of all or part of a number of games. Last night, wearing a brace again to stabilize her left foot/ankle, she reinjured her ankle once more. The most alarming thing was that she didn’t land awkwardly or step on another player. She appeared to hurt it doing nothing other than running.

Clearly Lou’s left foot/ankle needs rest. While the medical staff will undoubtedly provide her with the very best care and treatment, I’m concerned that as soon as Lou feels marginally better she’ll start pushing to return to the court again because she loves the game and feels her teammates need her, which they do.

I know that no one on the BY wants to hear my suggestion. But I have to ask if it wouldn’t be better for Lou’s future in basketball if Geno were to shut her down for and extended period of time, if not the rest of the season?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I don't think there's any way she'll sit still for an "extended" sit-down.

More likely is a rest period with her first appearance for the South Carolina game unless Wilson is still out or Lou is completely recovered and I do mean completely.

This kid needs R&R and she needs it now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think there's any way she'll sit still for an "extended" sit-down.

More likely is a rest period with her first appearance for the South Carolina game unless Wilson is still out or Lou is completely recovered and I do mean completely.

This kid needs R&R and she needs it now.
By coincidence, Wilson seems to have similarly chronic foot and ankle problems.

Reaction Score
When she’s healthy, Lou is one of the best players in the country. When she’s not healthy she’s a warrior who’s willing to battle through injury, illness and the occasional muggings she receives from opposing teams.

This season, chronic foot/ankle problems have already kept Lou out of all or part of a number of games. Last night, wearing a brace again to stabilize her left foot/ankle, she reinjured her ankle once more. The most alarming thing was that she didn’t land awkwardly or step on another player. She appeared to hurt it doing nothing other than running.

Clearly Lou’s left foot/ankle needs rest. While the medical staff will undoubtedly provide her with the very best care and treatment, I’m concerned that as soon as Lou feels marginally better she’ll start pushing to return to the court again because she loves the game and feels her teammates need her, which they do.

I know that no one on the BY wants to hear my suggestion. But I have to ask if it wouldn’t be better for Lou’s future in basketball if Geno were to shut her down for and extended period of time, if not the rest of the season?
Rest of the season? No chance.

Reaction Score
She's not ever going to fully recover. This will be a recurring problem for the rest of her life. She said it's been this way for "a while" which made me think this may have been something she's had to deal with maybe even before she came to UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I seem to recall that at some point after Lou injured her ankle for the second time this season vs ND, Geno said something to the effect that she’s just going to have to live with it and maybe have something done after the season.

The second part of Geno’s comment was somewhat vague, but implied some type of surgery. If in fact Lou needs surgery, in the long run it may be better to have it done sooner rather than later, allowing ample time for recovery and a healthy senior season.

Reaction Score
there seems to be a macho attitude among basketball coaches where they maintain that their players tough it out if they are injured....................if it ain't broken you play..................I've experienced it with my own daughter's high school coach and I know that Geno is a big proponent of this philosophy...................UConn players are well known for their mental/physical fortitude but there's sometimes a price to pay for that.................KLS, Crystal, Gabby will hopefully be able to tough it out the rest of the way through

Reaction Score
No. We have no report regarding the extent of the latest injury... it could be fairly minor and she plays 30 min on Sunday... i said could be minor. Let's let that play out first. No sense jumping to conclusions here.
I believe Lou will be back on the court very soon and continue on to another AA season, with a National Championship Trophy/ring to show for it.
Surgery off season... maybe, but that depends on the extent of damage and if it can be repaired.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oldude actually I like your suggestion. There are THREE that need to sit and REST--Katie Lou, Danger, Gabby---too many full out minutes are taking their toll.
With AAC portion of the schedule at hand this is a perfect time to REST as many Starters as possible.
The entire Coaching staff is aware of the problems.
I agree Katie Lou (I'd throw in Danger and Gabby) will injure herself to help her teammates--but the staff has to protect her from herself.
I don't need WINs or to be entertained by 50 point blowouts---I love these women and don't want hobbled old ladies just give me a good game to watch. I'll take losses before I want that to happen..

Reaction Score
there seems to be a macho attitude among basketball coaches where they maintain that their players tough it out if they are injured.....if it ain't broken you play...I've experienced it with my own daughter's high school coach and I know that Geno is a big proponent of this philosophy....UConn players are well known for their mental/physical fortitude but there's sometimes a price to pay for that.......KLS, Crystal, Gabby will hopefully be able to tough it out the rest of the way through

I like your posts about players because you have "skin" in the game and don't drink a lot of cool aid, you make sense.
I love watching these women play, FACT. I want them to win, FACT. I don't want them to have life long injuries for me to have that happen, FACT.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that at some point after Lou injured her ankle for the second time this season vs ND, Geno said something to the effect that she’s just going to have to live with it and maybe have something done after the season.

The second part of Geno’s comment was somewhat vague, but implied some type of surgery. If in fact Lou needs surgery, in the long run it may be better to have it done sooner rather than later, allowing ample time for recovery and a healthy senior season.

As a corollary to the injury issue, which obviously requires time away from BB---stupid me --I enjoyed that game last night. Loads of good to take away from it. If the BY is a forum for UConn Women--then we should care more about the health of these young women than ---a Win, a Conf title, another NC--aren't they worth more than that??? I've been with them in the good years and not so good--they never ever have BAD years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thinking back to 2015-16, Geno held Tuck out of several games, and practices, as well as limiting her playing time all the way up to the tournament due to her micro fracture injury. Once UConn got to the tournament Geno turned Tuck lose and she played well. Of course, that team was better than this team, with a few more subs that could contribute.

Reaction Score
She's not ever going to fully recover. This will be a recurring problem for the rest of her life. She said it's been this way for "a while" which made me think this may have been something she's had to deal with maybe even before she came to UConn.

It takes an OLD person to KNOW those bumps hard falls, small injuries, big injuries---never ever really go away--they all come back and raise their ugly heads--with pain, hobbling us old "parts". We know with out a miracle Katie Lou, Danger, Gabby shall feel the pain in old age.
HoopFan21---I tend to agree with your last sentence. With out rest this injury will come back more quickly and probably at the wrong time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've seen Lou's ankle as our Achille's Heel for quite some time. As it goes so goes the season. As @oldude says, Geno said it would remain an issue (it was in her USA summer before she arrived at UConn) for the duration and maybe something could be done thereafter. Pulling a freshman or two and a soph. out of the hat sure wouldn't hurt. They don't have to be great, just serviceably sound.

Reaction Score
Lou needs to be shut down. There are 13 days until South Carolina. Put her foot/ankle in a boot. If this happens during the tournament, they are SOL.
I believe Uconn, with Azura, Uconn can win the USC game without KLS--why risk using her--ONE regular season loss--or 2--is no crime.

Reaction Score

I agree sit her and
Lou needs to be shut down. There are 13 days until South Carolina. Put her foot/ankle in a boot. If this happens during the tournament, they are SOL.
I agree sit Lou, crystal, and gabby ...let them heal. This will also be an opportunity to train up the freshmen.

Reaction Score
I've seen Lou's ankle as our Achille's Heel for quite some time. As it goes so goes the season. As @oldude says, Geno said it would remain an issue (it was in her USA summer before she arrived at UConn) for the duration and maybe something could be done thereafter. Pulling a freshman or two and a soph. out of the hat sure wouldn't hurt. They don't have to be great, just serviceably sound.

I agree
. Some think the Tulsa game a disaster--I didn't. Lots of good things to take away. You can see that game in a empty glass or half full or full glass--depend on your bias. I saw it as a 3/4th full thing.
No the Frosh are not Gabby, KLS, etc--but they weren't either as Frosh.
Geno does not need clones of KLS, Gabby, Kia, Precious---he needs as you say "SERVICABLE" minutes.
Uconn has too many walking wounded--because of 2 full years of too many minutes.

Reaction Score
I like your posts about players because you have "skin" in the game and don't drink a lot of cool aid, you make sense.
I love watching these women play, FACT. I want them to win, FACT. I don't want them to have life long injuries for me to have that happen, FACT.

These are difficult issues...............contrary to what some may believe, women's basketball is a really tough game and almost all players suffer from nagging injuries during the season...................I've seen plenty of players that are just born complainers................they only want to play when they are in perfect physical condition.................I've seen players try to continue to play with broken fingers, broken hands, dislocated shoulders, dislocated knee caps, torn ACLs, torn MCLs you name it.................certainly there has to be a middle ground.......................the age old question is how injured do you have to be to throw in the towel and sit it out..............that choice has to be made by the player, the medical staff and the coach.............you know UConn players want to be on the court no matter how injured they are...............hopefully none of the walking wounded miss too much time but take enough time to prevent further injury during the season ............

Reaction Score
Thinking back to 2015-16, Geno held Tuck out of several games, and practices, as well as limiting her playing time all the way up to the tournament due to her micro fracture injury. Once UConn got to the tournament Geno turned Tuck lose and she played well. Of course, that team was better than this team, with a few more subs that could contribute.
With ascension of Azura Stevens--and more PT with the team will pay big time later--the need for big minutes from Gabby, KLS, Danger (all need AAC rest) is less important. Azura ---is a point per minute player (and a bit more). Geno no longer just has his CORE 4 as the only scorers.
Oldude, I agree--just pointing out Geno now has other options--plus a soph/frosh or 2 (maybe).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With ascension of Azura Stevens--and more PT with the team will pay big time later--the need for big minutes from Gabby, KLS, Danger (all need AAC rest) is less important. Azura ---is a point per minute player (and a bit more). Geno no longer just has his CORE 4 as the only scorers.
Oldude, I agree--just pointing out Geno now has other options--plus a soph/frosh or 2 (maybe).

Trouble is Z remains a point per minute defender too.

Reaction Score
These are difficult issues.....contrary to what some may believe, women's basketball is a really tough game and almost all players suffer from nagging injuries during the season....I've seen plenty of players that are just born complainers......they only want to play when they are in perfect physical condition.......I've seen players try to continue to play with broken fingers, broken hands, dislocated shoulders, dislocated knee caps, torn ACLs, torn MCLs you name it.......certainly there has to be a middle ground........the age old question is how injured do you have to be to throw in the towel and sit it out....that choice has to be made by the player, the medical staff and the coach...you know UConn players want to be on the court no matter how injured they are.....hopefully none of the walking wounded miss too much time but take enough time to prevent further injury during the season ..
Amen brother --Amen! Logic, intelligence, experience about health issues adults must be smarter than the kids.

Reaction Score
Trouble is Z remains a point per minute defender too.
In recent games defense by the core 5 at times has not been much better. Azura is LEARNING a new role and, while not super great, it appears to be doing better. She won't be KIAH--but who is.
However, your point is well taken. I'm not so sure the people she defends make a point a minute--but I get it..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom