Is it Time For Warde To Go? | The Boneyard

Is it Time For Warde To Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We know we can't get rid of BD for at least the next season, but I think we need a change of direction in the AD's office.

First of all it would be a clear message to Diaco (encouraging him to get rid of Cummings). Second, at least next year a new AD will be able to undertake an unbiased view of the coaching staff. And third, maybe we can get one with a vision and plan to get us to the P5.

This is just one man's opinion, but I think Warde is over his head.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Disagree -

I don't feel he is over his head - he knocked it out of the park with hockey hire - seems like he bought the snake oil on FB coach

BD gets next year for sure - then Warde has decision to make - if he can find some money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that the earliest a change can be made is after the 2016 season so BD has three years to show he's the answer before getting canned (if he fails).

IIRC there were some hickey fans who questioned the hire of Cavanaugh (instead of keeping the interim who did well following Marshall) during Cav's first year (which in their eyes was disappointing).

The reality is that if BD does end up winning, he's eccentric. If not, he's a whack job. Time will tell.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd like to see that thread after Diaco's first press conference and see how many people loved the hire then. Warde drank the koolaid, resume and references all checked out. The problem with Diaco is he had all these crazy theories about how to do things his way he never got a chance to act on until now. He literally says and does things I have never seen before from a college head coach. Either he's a genius or just Mike Leach without any results.

Reaction Score
One thing for sure is your not going hear Warde expected the Michigan AD job.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Still can't believe this guy makes $500,000 a year. To do what specifically?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'd like to see that thread after Diaco's first press conference and see how many people loved the hire then. Warde drank the koolaid, resume and references all checked out. The problem with Diaco is he had all these crazy theories about how to do things his way he never got a chance to act on until now. He literally says and does things I have never seen before from a college head coach. Either he's a genius or just Mike Leach without any results.
So I did love the initial hire - he spoke a great game - now his on field speak is coming around and I am wondering. He gets next year

Reaction Score
Warde needs to clean up this mess, or at least go down with ship until it's sunk.

He is supposed to be a football guy, but he couldn't have missed in a worse way. He was so set on winning the press conference and that was his undoing.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I liked the hire...but I also don't make 500,000 to make such hires.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Warde needs to clean up this mess, or at least go down with ship until it's sunk.

He is supposed to be a football guy, but he couldn't have missed in a worse way. He was so set on winning the press conference and that was his undoing.

I don't think the goal ever was to win championships in year 1.

The goal is still to win championships in years 3,4 & 5.

Warde and Diaco can't be graded yet.

Reaction Score
I don't think the goal ever was to win championships in year 1.

The goal is still to win championships in years 3,4 & 5.

Warde and Diaco can't be graded yet.

Whatever the plan was, I assure you that losing to Army, SMU and USF wasn't part of it. Almost losing to Stony Brook wasn't part of it. This guy showed us very little if anything to give us reason to have faith in him.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Whatever the plan was, I assure you that losing to Army, SMU and USF wasn't part of it. Almost losing to Stony Brook wasn't part of it. This guy showed us very little if anything to give us reason to have faith in him.

The goal is championships. Those games mean nothing.

We have a long road.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm about to say something extremely controversial that I know full well I am going to be lambasted over by several Yarders, but here goes anyways...

If we want out of the AAC and into a Power conference, then football needs to improve ASAP. To improve ASAP, we need to throw more money at it (not less). With the limited revenue stream we have in the next few years, we need to figure out a way to cut funding for some other programs and pour into football. In my opinion, we are throwing way too much money at WBB. Yes, it's nice that they consistently win. But let's be honest, in the CR world, WBB is a novelty item that is neither necessary to have or be good at. As we continue to throw more money at WBB than football, this season is a perfect example of what we can all expect.

Kevin Ollie makes $3M/yr. Geno makes around $2M/yr. Diaco makes $1.5M/yr. This is exactly why I said last season, during our coach search, that we need to be willing to go into the $2-$3M/yr range on our next football coach. SMU just agreed to pay Chad Morris $2M/yr. Now, I understand that a coaches salary is no guarantee on results. But you can bet your bottom dollar that SMU is going to throw more money at football than women's basketball next season and in every single season afterward. And watch, SMU will probably win more games than UCONN next season.

I know that most WBB don't understand that football drives the CR bus. Most WBB fans are fans because we win every game by 50+ points and, for the most part, women's basketball isn't associated with the slime that comes from other school's men's hoops and football programs around the country. But to get out of the AAC, we must be willing to cut a little funding on WBB to pour more into football OR we must be willing to cap WBB funding where it is right now for the next several years while significantly upping the football budget.

So go ahead, take your shots at me. I'm tough, I can take it. I'm not saying that we should drop women's basketball nor am I rooting for our women to lose. I know that the state just all went ga-ga over the dual championships last spring. But we've now done that twice and we're no closer to a P5 invite than we were since the first time we won both the MBB and WBB championships . The only sport that matters to get us out of the AAC is football. Until we're willing to pour much more money into football that women's basketball, we are going to be a bottom-feeder school in a crappy conference arguing whether or not to go Independent or drop the sport altogether. I'm not ready to pull the plug on football for at least 10 years and neither should anyone else. In fact, I'd want just the opposite. We need to invest MORE money into football...even if it comes at a cost of other programs.

We just invested $1.5B into expanding research facilities in large part to enhance our AAU profile. That's GREAT. But we could be the Emory University of the northeast and be no closer to a B1G invite unless UCONN football can beat CFB dregs like Army, SMU, USF, Tulane, etc and get to bowl games. Jim Delany won't be able to justify adding UCONN to the football docket to his millions of B1G fans who are already concerned about the strength of the football conference, especially after yesterday's absolute embarrassment.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The goal is championships. Those games mean nothing.

We have a long road.[/
I thought the team with the most wins in conference wins championship??

Do you believe learning how to win games this year sets a tone for the next?? Curious.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I know you hate Warde, but no one sets out to win a press conference of they care about their own self preservation. Same with Diaco. AT THE TIME - Diaco checked out in all areas. Great resume and great personality. I in no way fault Warde for the hire. We will see how he handles the lack of results though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm about to say something extremely controversial that I know full well I am going to be lambasted over by several Yarders, but here goes anyways...

If we want out of the AAC and into a Power conference, then football needs to improve ASAP. To improve ASAP, we need to throw more money at it (not less). With the limited revenue stream we have in the next few years, we need to figure out a way to cut funding for some other programs and pour into football. In my opinion, we are throwing way too much money at WBB. Yes, it's nice that they consistently win. But let's be honest, in the CR world, WBB is a novelty item that is neither necessary to have or be good at. As we continue to throw more money at WBB than football, this season is a perfect example of what we can all expect.

Kevin Ollie makes $3M/yr. Geno makes around $2M/yr. Diaco makes $1.5M/yr. This is exactly why I said last season, during our coach search, that we need to be willing to go into the $2-$3M/yr range on our next football coach. SMU just agreed to pay Chad Morris $2M/yr. Now, I understand that a coaches salary is no guarantee on results. But you can bet your bottom dollar that SMU is going to throw more money at football than women's basketball next season and in every single season afterward. And watch, SMU will probably win more games than UCONN next season.

I know that most WBB don't understand that football drives the CR bus. Most WBB fans are fans because we win every game by 50+ points and, for the most part, women's basketball isn't associated with the slime that comes from other school's men's hoops and football programs around the country. But to get out of the AAC, we must be willing to cut a little funding on WBB to pour more into football OR we must be willing to cap WBB funding where it is right now for the next several years while significantly upping the football budget.

So go ahead, take your shots at me. I'm tough, I can take it. I'm not saying that we should drop women's basketball nor am I rooting for our women to lose. I know that the state just all went ga-ga over the dual championships last spring. But we've now done that twice and we're no closer to a P5 invite than we were since the first time we won both the MBB and WBB championships . The only sport that matters to get us out of the AAC is football. Until we're willing to pour much more money into football that women's basketball, we are going to be a bottom-feeder school in a crappy conference arguing whether or not to go Independent or drop the sport altogether. I'm not ready to pull the plug on football for at least 10 years and neither should anyone else. In fact, I'd want just the opposite. We need to invest MORE money into football...even if it comes at a cost of other programs.

We just invested $1.5B into expanding research facilities in large part to enhance our AAU profile. That's GREAT. But we could be the Emory University of the northeast and be no closer to a B1G invite unless UCONN football can beat CFB dregs like Army, SMU, USF, Tulane, etc and get to bowl games. Jim Delany won't be able to justify adding UCONN to the football docket to his millions of B1G fans who are already concerned about the strength of the football conference, especially after yesterday's absolute embarrassment.
You would be in hotter water if you said KML looks fat. I'm pretty sure women's basketball is self-funded, so it isn't taking money that would otherwise be available to football. I agree that women's basketball has less relevance to conference realignment than men's lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Diaco gave us no reason, at all, to have faith in the future of UConn FB. Granted, the OL improved during the last 4-5 games. But, the D really stayed the same, at best. Our offense did little, losing to Army & SMU was absurd.
What to do now? Should we lose, next season, to Villanova and/or UMass I do believe it would take another 4-5 years to get this program back on track, no matter who is the coach. UConn can't afford that.
If we get off to another horrendous start. And lose to Nova & UMass, let alone Army, we have no choice, but to make a change. In the long run it would be more cost effective to buy Diaco out. Especially when you consider any further damages these losses can do to the program.
Should the need arise to fire Diaco, Susan Herbst needs to take a long look at Manuel first. It might be better to hire a new FB coach with a new AD on board.
UConn cannot go much further with losses on the field, and excuses/promises for what could happen down the line. UMass & Nova losses should tell us that.

Reaction Score

College football is mostly recruiting. The good recruiters are mercenary in nature, and expensive. I agree with you.

Reaction Score
I know you hate Warde, but no one sets out to win a press conference of they care about their own self preservation. Same with Diaco. AT THE TIME - Diaco checked out in all areas. Great resume and great personality. I in no way fault Warde for the hire. We will see how he handles the lack of results though.

Here is the thing. Most coaches, and all of the good and great coaches, come in and say they are going to win and win with what they have. Whether they do immediately or not isn't the point. In our situation, if we had a guy come in on his interview with this tear down, long process bs Warde should have quickly thanked him for his interest in uconn football. The fact that he went with this in the current CR climate is mind boggling.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Here is the thing. Most coaches, and all of the good and great coaches, come in and say they are going to win and win with what they have. Whether they do immediately or not isn't the point. In our situation, if we had a guy come in on his interview with this tear down, long process bs Warde should have quickly thanked him for his interest in uconn football. The fact that he went with this in the current CR climate is mind boggling.
That's a fair point and I can only imagine what was discussed, if anything, regarding CR. Winning this season was critical for a lot of reasons, and we failed spectacularly.

Reaction Score
Warde's fate is directly tied to Diaco's success or failure. Warde has to be at least a little worried that he hired a guy who took the first year to tear this thing down to ground zero after talking about "get your bathing suits ready" at his opening press conference.

There needs to be tangible progress in year 2, and no more talk about empty cupboards or the previous regime. That is what losers do. Every single UConn fan knew the previous regime sucked, it's why they got sheetcanned, we don't need quote after quote from the current coach with the multi million dollar contract to remind us of that.

Reaction Score
What we need to do is to go back to FCS. We won't get people to play here. We will never be in a power conference and we might ruin our basketball teams if we don't get into the Big East. I was a supporter of UConn going D1A, but we can't play with the big boys.
Besides, we can start a men's and women's lacrosse team and win national championships quicker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom