Is it time for the NCAA to be replaced? | The Boneyard

Is it time for the NCAA to be replaced?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Selective enforcement, foolish rules that punish student athletes, and a bloated agency with multi-million dollar agency that has proved to be at best ineffective and worst as corrupt as the schools the don't see fit to punish.

The NCAA giving it's blessing to UNC's academic fraud would seem to be the last straw. There needs to be new governing body with streamlined rules that are easy to understand and follow.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
No drop the idea of amateurism and this isn’t a problem.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Selective enforcement, foolish rules that punish student athletes, and a bloated agency with multi-million dollar agency that has proved to be at best ineffective and worst as corrupt as the schools the don't see fit to punish.

The NCAA giving it's blessing to UNC's academic fraud would seem to be the last straw. There needs to be new governing body with streamlined rules that are easy to understand and follow.

I agree but are the college presidents going to agree. They controll the NCAA.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree but are the college presidents going to agree. They controll the NCAA.
It depends if the notion of selective enforcement and corruption takes hold. If the NCAA can't punish UNC for a blatant academic fraud, they've basically admitted that they are a sham organization.

Meanwhile the FBI has to come in to try to clean up college athletics because the the NCAA has turned a blind eye to fraud and corruption. If that story takes hold, I can see a change. And I can see it taking hold because there needs to be a villain for the current scandal. The NCAA makes a convenient one.

Reaction Score
No drop the idea of amateurism and this isn’t a problem.

???

Fake grades aren't a problem with amateurism?

Do you mean that the athletes would be playing under some kind of subsidiary? They wouldn't be students? Wouldn't go to class?

I could go for that, personally. I wouldn't watch it at all... but it would be a viable thing for the colleges to do.

CL82

Reaction Score
???

Do you mean that the athletes would be playing under some kind of subsidiary? They wouldn't be students? Wouldn't go to class?

I could go for that, personally. I wouldn't watch it at all... but it would be a viable thing for the colleges to do.
It would kill college athletics in my opinion. I can watch better pros in the NFL or NBA. Why would I want to watch lesser ones?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This decision is exactly what the most powerful schools within the P5 wants. They essentially want carte blanche to run athletics as they see fit without interference from the NCAA. They got the decision they wanted. No need to replace the NCAA as long as the NCAA only punishes schools that represent a threat to the P5 established pecking order.

I'll bet that message is what transpired between last Friday and today.

Reaction Score
This decision is exactly what the most powerful schools within the P5 wants. They essentially want carte blanche to run athletics as they see fit without interference from the NCAA. They got the decision they wanted. No need to replace the NCAA as long as the NCAA only punishes schools that represent a threat to the P5 established pecking order.

I'll bet that message is what transpired between last Friday and today.

When this process dragged out beyond the first year it should have been obvious the NCAA was looking for an exit strategy to sweep this all away. They were compromised and the longer it went on the easier it was to be worn down by the lawyers and the people who determine their economic future. They had a lot of incentives to do nothing and very few reasons to take action.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
???

This is what I’m getting at. Destroy college athletics as a Business and bring in true amateurism or end this charade. But this line the ncaa tows is bs and needs to end.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Every time something goes wrong in the NCAA, someone says dropping amateurism would solve it.

It won't.

Neither will replacing the NCAA. If you replace the NCAA, you will replace it with something that looks like the NCAA.

It's unavoidable - the NCAA is made up of its member institutions. You can't change the members.

Reaction Score
This decision helps strengthens the NCAA & keeps the system intact. Its simply a monopoly and its never going to police itself or treat its sacred cow assets the same way it treats the rest of the cattle.

The only ways the NCAA gets undone are
1. The NBA successfully re-brands the G-league and develops a viable, competitive minor league system.
2. Coordinated player revolt - and if this can't even happen in the NFL its really far-fetched to expect 18-21yr olds to form a unified movement.
Its feeling worse and worse to be a fan of college sports, the ugliness has never been more transparent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every time something goes wrong in the NCAA, someone says dropping amateurism would solve it.

It won't.

Neither will replacing the NCAA. If you replace the NCAA, you will replace it with something that looks like the NCAA.

It's unavoidable - the NCAA is made up of its member institutions. You can't change the members.

That's true, but they are still a sleazy outfit. When I was in private practice in KC, their lawyers were on the floor below me, and two of my friends and L-school classmates worked for them, one supporting the NCAA account. The NCAA is made up of its members, but also is separate enough to thumb their noses at them. The operate like the giant bloated non-profit they are, raking in huge $$ and spending lavishly on themselves. The schools and conferences all get paid, but the folks at the NCAA take care of themselves first. They want to gravy train to run full steam.

Reaction Score
This decision helps strengthens the NCAA & keeps the system intact. Its simply a monopoly and its never going to police itself or treat its sacred cow assets the same way it treats the rest of the cattle.

1. The NBA successfully re-brands the G-league and develops a viable, competitive minor league system.
2. Coordinated player revolt - and if this can't even happen in the NFL its really far-fetched to expect 18-21yr olds to form a unified movement.
Its feeling worse and worse to be a fan of college sports, the ugliness has never been more transparent.

that's how I'm feeling more and more, that I'm participating in something sordid (started feeling this way during conference musical chairs).

CL82

Reaction Score

It won't.

Disagree.

Starting fresh gets rid of the existing administrative and regulatory bloat. Do we really need to monitor whether bagels have cream cheese on them?

Without existing byzantine regs, the mission can be more narrowly defined. What the mission should be is ensuring that there is a level playing field so that competition is fair. Once the mission is identified a more reasonable structure for compliance can be put in place, such the use of random outside audits rather than self-reporting.

Leaving a bloated, ineffective and corrupt bureaucracy in place benefits no one.

Reaction Score
Not sure about anyone else but I’m just about through with college basketball. Started with the APR fiasco, then accelerated with conference realignment and the North Carolina and athletic shoes news of the past few weeks.

FBI seems to be the last hope to turn this around.....

Reaction Score
All schools can now follow the same model of UNC. No one will ever have to worry about APR scores again. This is good news.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It would kill college athletics in my opinion. I can watch better pros in the NFL or NBA. Why would I want to watch lesser ones?

I once worked with an attorney who enjoyed watching sports. He primarily watched NFL football. He didn't see any point in watching college sports because the talent level is far lesser. He only cared about watching the highest level of talent, even though he was a college alum who might have been inclined to watch his alma mater's (Pitt) teams. There are also fans of particular colleges that would watch their favorite college teams no matter what the talent level is. It seems both types of fans already exist, and would continue doing that no matter what changes might be made regarding amateurism.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The NCAA loves the outrage to their decisions. They don't mind being the punching bag of college sports as long as they can maintain the status of being a "non-profit" and continuing to allow schools to profit in the hundreds of millions while not compensating their free* labor a negotiable share.

* = yes I know it's not free, the students get paid in college credits, blah, blah blah.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should form a blue ribbon panel to recommend participants for a commission with the express purposes of forming a committee to find a suitable replacement for the NCAA.

CL82

Reaction Score
I once worked with an attorney who enjoyed watching sports. He primarily watched NFL football. He didn't see any point in watching college sports because the talent level is far lesser. He only cared about watching the highest level of talent, even though he was a college alum who might have been inclined to watch his alma mater's (Pitt) teams. There are also fans of particular colleges that would watch their favorite college teams no matter what the talent level is. It seems both types of fans already exist, and would continue doing that no matter what changes might be made regarding amateurism.
Well, for me at least Nick, I like the veneer of the notion that I am watching college students not pros. It matters. I like seeing kids develop and I like seeing them graduate. If they were just hired hands, I'd lose interest.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should form a blue ribbon panel to recommend participants for a commission with the express purposes of forming a committee to find a suitable replacement for the NCAA.
Are you serious? A blue ribbon panel isn't a solution! You'd need a blue ribbon task force.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well, for me at least Nick, I like the veneer of the notion that I am watching college students not pros. It matters. I like seeing kids develop and I like seeing them graduate. If they were just hired hands, I'd lose interest.

I appreciate your point, CL, and there's no doubt that a fair number of present college sports fans would feel the same as you do.

I think many college fans like to think, or at least engage in the increasing fantasy, that there is still some element of pure amateurism involved in college sports. It's certainly true in most of the non-revenue sports, but since the vast influx of money from the TV networks and shoe companies, the revenue producing sports have been sham amateur going back to at least the 1970's. A lot of us just pretend not to notice. The way I see it, almost nothing is purely amateur anymore, so if you enjoy the product being produced, should it really matter all that much about what's going on behind the scenes? It can be argued that most of what goes on we're probably better off not knowing.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The only way this is happening is if some team boycotts a final four or cfp game. Which would cost the NCAA millions.

Reaction Score
1. Occupy the NCAA
2. Class action lawsuit by the fans of teams that have been banned due to anything remotely related to academics.
3. Class action lawsuit by former student athletes harmed by this system and those who refuse to address it.

I would add lawsuits by colleges affected but we know they are cowards.

The NCAA needs to be blown up and replaced by an organization governed by a board which is guided by a constitution of sorts that is aimed at resisting the downward spiral to corruption.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom