Is it technically traveling? | The Boneyard

Is it technically traveling?

Reaction Score
I don't want to say it too loud but when some players reset their feet before taking an open jump shot wouldn't that technically be traveling? It seems to me that both feet move while the ball is in their hands.
Is this just something that doesn't get called? Or maybe it's not traveling? Anyone know?

I'm not saying any Huskies do it! Particularly NOT Katie Lou or Saniya! ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be considered 1 step? BTW there was a story recently critical of woman for traveling which prompted ESPN? to show how nearly impossible it is to get a travel called in the NBA. One piece of tape had Curry literally running in for a lay up taking 5 to 6 steps. No call.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I've wondered this, too. Seems quite on the edge of a travel, at least technically speaking.

Reaction Score
Of course, it's traveling. But it's rarely called, just like "palming" is never called even though most players (since Dr. J reinvented basketball) turn the ball over to get that explosive first step to the basket.

I think what's more noteworthy than Lou's bunny hop or Kia's (increasingly rare) Euro-step is the fact that Pheesa has such amazing footwork underneath and never travels!

Reaction Score
Of course, it's traveling. But it's rarely called, just like "palming" is never called even though most players (since Dr. J reinvented basketball) turn the ball over to get that explosive first step to the basket.

I think what's more noteworthy than Lou's bunny hop or Kia's (increasingly rare) Euro-step is the fact that Pheesa has such amazing footwork underneath and never travels!
What you are saying is correct...especially Pheesa's footwork! Maybe the bunny hop is never called because it's not really creating an advantage.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What you are saying is correct...especially Pheesa's footwork! Maybe the bunny hop is never called because it's not really creating an advantage.
If you're keenly interested in this topic there was a long thread about this maybe a year and a half ago. Don't remember the time or the title. You might be able to find it by searching on "bunny" or "hop."

'Course, if you searched on bunny you might get a lot of hits about missed layups. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In my mind this really started with Michael Jordan and the NBA's promotion of him. As the Association began to see the dollar signs and Michael's glare became legendary referee's began to protect him more and more. Jordan's 3 steps to the hoop became a regular occurrence, as did the invisible fouls which led ultimately to the flagrant foul.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I remember a discussion about this a few years ago I think on a gamecast and not necessarily a UConn one - the analyst basically said it is an unwritten exception to the traveling rule. Some players don't actually break contact with the floor with both feet, others appear to at least some of the time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
But it may help you get to the Big Dance..............................

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
You might be able to find it by searching on "bunny" or "hop." :confused:

Mahler,

So I took your advice and this is what I am coming up with:

bunny.png

Not even UConn colors.

I must be doing something wrong. Help!

Thanks,

Huskee11

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Mahler,

So I took your advice and this is what I am coming up with:

View attachment 20313

Not even UConn colors.

I must be doing something wrong. Help!

Thanks,

Huskee11
Search on thread title: KLS Shot Analysis

It's not as long as I remember it. There might be another, not sure.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, technically it's traveling. But as long as there's not a major separation between catch and hop, refs let it go.

Kinda like if you go one MPH over the speed limit, generally speaking you won't be cited for speeding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom