Is it reasonable to expect Warde to have the same level of inspection with PP as with KO? | The Boneyard

Is it reasonable to expect Warde to have the same level of inspection with PP as with KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was reading this quote from Warde regarding KO. The level of detail appears to be comprehensive. I would expect no less for PP and his staff, especially given his football background.

"I'm looking to see how he is on the sidelines, how he handles decision-making, how he does the substitutions and the things that are normal in the course of the game," Manuel said when Calhoun retired last month. "How does he handle a loss with the team? How does he motivate them the next day to come back and play? How's he handling practice and the staff and all the things that come with being a head coach at this level?

How would Warde answer his own questions when applied to PP and staff?

Reaction Score
I was reading this quote from Warde regarding KO. The level of detail appears to be comprehensive. I would expect no less for PP and his staff, especially given his football background.

"I'm looking to see how he is on the sidelines, how he handles decision-making, how he does the substitutions and the things that are normal in the course of the game," Manuel said when Calhoun retired last month. "How does he handle a loss with the team? How does he motivate them the next day to come back and play? How's he handling practice and the staff and all the things that come with being a head coach at this level?

How would Warde answer his own questions when applied to PP and staff?

Excellent question you raise...

Reaction Score
It's not the same. KO has been an assistant coach for 2 years. He has no prior coaching experience at any level.

I'm not saying that Manuel isn't going to be looking at these things with P, but the comments about KO are specific to his lack of experience. With P, there's a track record to look back on.

That being said, Manuel had to be stunned at how P managed the end of the first half against Rutgers. And let's not forget, lost in all of this, is the way that he handled the McCombs situation. Personally, I don't think he could've handled it worse. My take is that he should never have gotten on the bus. But the 1 quarter suspension is just so stupid it's beyond words. Either what he did warrants a suspension or it does not. 1 quarter is just dumb.

pj

Reaction Score
Let's hope these sorts of issues are a factor. More important though are the strategic issues:
- What is your plan for building UConn into a consistent top 25 football program?
- What is your plan for making the program attractive to top recruits?
- What is your plan for building the in-state fanbase and making UConn football a valuable media property? For creating excitement and "buzz" around the program?

Reaction Score
Let's hope these sorts of issues are a factor. More important though are the strategic issues:
- What is your plan for building UConn into a consistent top 25 football program?
- What is your plan for making the program attractive to top recruits?
- What is your plan for building the in-state fanbase and making UConn football a valuable media property? For creating excitement and "buzz" around the program?

The answer to all of those questions is the same: win games.

pj

Reaction Score
The answer to all of those questions is the same: win games.

Then the next question is:
- What's your plan for winning lots of games?

If the answer is "attracting good recruits and then running between the tackles" then we go back to "What is your plan for making the program attractive to recruits?"

"Win games" is no answer because the outcome of games is not in the coach's direct control. The coach controls his own actions. "What is your plan" asks what the coach's actions will be.

Reaction Score
It's not the same. KO has been an assistant coach for 2 years. He has no prior coaching experience at any level.

I'm not saying that Manuel isn't going to be looking at these things with P, but the comments about KO are specific to his lack of experience. With P, there's a track record to look back on.

That being said, Manuel had to be stunned at how P managed the end of the first half against Rutgers. And let's not forget, lost in all of this, is the way that he handled the McCombs situation. Personally, I don't think he could've handled it worse. My take is that he should never have gotten on the bus. But the 1 quarter suspension is just so stupid it's beyond words. Either what he did warrants a suspension or it does not. 1 quarter is just dumb.
That's right. I actually think the standards for Pasqualoni are somewhat different than for Ollie. In fact, the main one will be "how many games did you win?" And secondarily, "what are the prospects for improving on that next year?" With Ollie you are looking at a inexperienced coach in a year where the team is generally conceded to be down. So holding his feet to the fire on wins and losses wouldn't be fair except at the extremes (eg he loses 20 or wins 20). Pasqualoni has a track record. He's been a head coach. He's been an NFL coordinator. We know he can coach. the question is can he do it effectively in this situation. With Ollie it remains an open question whether he can do it at all. I don't say that to denigrate Ollie. It is a question of fact. We have zero evidence one way or the other.

Reaction Score
with Ollie, he's in a tough spot. He has a team that can't make the postseason, it's his first year as a head coach, and as a result I think style points count almost as much as results. Warde can't really expect him to win 20 games, but how does he look winning 12-14? With P, I'm sure Warde is absolutely looking at concrete results. We might lose some games in bball next season that could still have some positives. A .500 record with some close losses to tough teams could be a good season in bball this season. There's no moral victories for our football program this year.

Reaction Score
I'll bet that neither PP nor KO survives WM's scrutiny. It starts with the overriding mission for excellence and accountability coming from Susan Herbst. Then it gets more pragmatic. Warde Manuel wants to succeed at his job. He wants raises and public kudos. He has to put his stamp on our programs and grow them from their current status. We've discussed the problems with football ad nauseum--no buzz, no excitement, no fans, etc. These guys aren't his choices. They are not producing the kind of results either WM or SH demand. Thus, No Bowl--No PP. The same goes for BBall. Bowing to the Calhoun legacy with a one year contract was good politics but tells you all you need to know. There will be sufficient reasons (can't you hear the press conference now)"to go in a different direction. We wish KO success wherever he ends up".
New faces will be arriving soon and WM will be charged with filling seats, filling financial coffers and planning victory parades. To paraphrase Bo Schembechler--Warde Manuel will go into battle with Manuel labor and Manuel management.

Reaction Score
I'll bet that neither PP nor KO survives WM's scrutiny. It starts with the overriding mission for excellence and accountability coming from Susan Herbst. Then it gets more pragmatic. Warde Manuel wants to succeed at his job. He wants raises and public kudos. He has to put his stamp on our programs and grow them from their current status. We've discussed the problems with football ad nauseum--no buzz, no excitement, no fans, etc. These guys aren't his choices. They are not producing the kind of results either WM or SH demand. Thus, No Bowl--No PP. The same goes for BBall. Bowing to the Calhoun legacy with a one year contract was good politics but tells you all you need to know. There will be sufficient reasons (can't you hear the press conference now)"to go in a different direction. We wish KO success wherever he ends up".
New faces will be arriving soon and WM will be charged with filling seats, filling financial coffers and planning victory parades. To paraphrase Bo Schembechler--Warde Manuel will go into battle with Manuel labor and Manuel management.

imho, Warde is in a win-win or no-lose position with KO. If it works, that's his hire. If not, he can say I told you so.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that WM will (perhaps not as quickly as we would like, which would be waiting until after 2013) assess PP's performance and replace him if he is not satisfied with the results. That said, there is a bit of a difference between inheriting someone and having a situation (and a replacement) forced upon you.

I also happen to believe that KO will be here (and be quite successful) for many years while (unless somehow everything falls into place and offense becomes some juggernaut next year) PP won't be here when Navy becomes a BE member.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are no parallels because P was already hired and has a contract. We'll find out in 4 months if our AD is worthy of the job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Are you and Herbst having some kind of affair or something?

Reaction Score
When I read the Mr. Manuel quote about Ollie I was actually quite pleased because he has to hold P to the same standard. And so far, in P's 18 games and the six Warde has been AD, P is not meeting that standard.
I actually think KO will exceed some folks' expectations. I understand some folks were frosted Ollie didn't get a longer contract, but I don't think KO is offended by that. The man played half his NBA career on 10-day contracts. I think KO likes the challenge.

Reaction Score
I think Manuel will evaluate PP at the end of the season and ask him what can/will be done differently to produce better results. If he says bring in a new OC, I think PP stays. If he says replace some other assistants, I think PP goes.

UConn can't afford to stagnate or decline due to conference realignment. Manuel and Herbst know this. We have to continue to build the program. I don't have a problem with PP per se, as he is a good representative of the the university and he did bring in Donald Brown as DC, but I do have a problem with the offense and the OC. I have given PP a pass on the lack of a QB in the program when he inherited it (think about it, he had to start a walk-on QB his first year as coach!) and I think he has been addressing the issue with QB recruiting. But, you can not give him a pass this year for the offensive play calling and strategy as well as the lack of another RB that can be a major contributor.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree complely on the running back situation, UConnJim. the strategy and offensive play calling absolutely, but for the most part the running backs are inherited and not his recruits. This year he brought in Joe Williams who people seem to think is talented, but true freshman running backs are rare. Among our better runners, Todman and Caulley were used extensively as true freshmen, but Brown wasn't, Dixon wasn't, McCombs wasn't, Brockington wasn't. Caulley was a special case, too since he was there our first 1A season when we didn't really have any depth. And Edsall sometimes held him out against better teams his 1st season. Neither Hyppolite nor Max were recruited by Pasquoloni so its a bit unfair to say that he didn't recruit another running back at this point. if he is here next season,and if Williams doesn't pan out or nobody else arrives, then it will be a reasonable complaint.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree complely on the running back situation, UConnJim. the strategy and offensive play calling absolutely, but for the most part the running backs are inherited and not his recruits. This year he brought in Joe Williams who people seem to think is talented, but true freshman running backs are rare. Among our better runners, Todman and Caulley were used extensively as true freshmen, but Brown wasn't, Dixon wasn't, McCombs wasn't, Brockington wasn't. Caulley was a special case, too since he was there our first 1A season when we didn't really have any depth. And Edsall sometimes held him out against better teams his 1st season. Neither Hyppolite nor Max were recruited by Pasquoloni so its a bit unfair to say that he didn't recruit another running back at this point. if he is here next season,and if Williams doesn't pan out or nobody else arrives, then it will be a reasonable complaint.

True, but at what point do you look at your running game at 2.8 ypc and say maybe we should give Williams a shot? His redshirt is toast. He's played on specials. How much worse can he be? (I know, we said the same thing when Mac took over from Frazer last year)

Reaction Score
True, but at what point do you look at your running game at 2.8 ypc and say maybe we should give Williams a shot? His redshirt is toast. He's played on specials. How much worse can he be? (I know, we said the same thing when Mac took over from Frazer last year)
That would be a reasonable position if you think the problem is that the running back we have is the biggest part of the problem. I don't happen to feel that way. I think play calling and, to be charitable, substandard offensive line play, are much more significant contributors than who is carrying the football. Not to open this whole can of worms again, but while he is no Todman or Donald Brown, McCombs showed last year that he can be at least a serviceable, productive back.

Reaction Score
That would be a reasonable position if you think the problem is that the running back we have is the biggest part of the problem. I don't happen to feel that way. I think play calling and, to be charitable, substandard offensive line play, are much more significant contributors than who is carrying the football. Not to open this whole can of worms again, but while he is no Todman or Donald Brown, McCombs showed last year that he can be at least a serviceable, productive back.

I don't think the main problem is the RB. There are 2 kids on the OL (who I won't name but most can probably guess who they are) that shouldn't be playing, period.

It just amazes me that, prior to the RU game where LM was suspended for 1 quarter (again, what a joke), we were rotating OG's, C's and QB's but not RB's.

Reaction Score
I don't think the main problem is the RB. There are 2 kids on the OL (who I won't name but most can probably guess who they are) that shouldn't be playing, period. It just amazes me that, prior to the RU game where LM was suspended for 1 quarter (again, what a joke), we were rotating OG's, C's and QB's but not RB's.

Add a missing/invisable blocking FB into the mix... Not sure what the staff's issue was with Hinkly. We miss the Shermantor horribly (arguably in the Top 10 Blocking FB right now).

Reaction Score
Add a missing/invisable blocking FB into the mix... Not sure what the staff's issue was with Hinkly. We miss the Shermantor horribly (arguably in the Top 10 Blocking FB right now).

You know what, I hadn't even thought about that. The staff basically gave Hinkley the finger.

Reaction Score
You know what, I hadn't even thought about that. The staff basically gave Hinkley the finger.

Yup, Hinkley had 1 year left... unless he was a locker room problem (NOT saying he was) can't figure it out.

Reaction Score
Good point medic. We've had a series of very good blocking fullbacks and we absolutely are missing that. Sheman was terrific but the one before him, name escapes me, was very good too. He played in the NFL I believe.

Reaction Score
I can't understand the continued rotation at OL.

The thing coaches say most often is that you want an OL that has played together for awhile, and is very familiar. It seems the best OLs at any level are guys who played together for a few years. We have a major issue at OL, and while yes there have been some injuries, whether guys have been injured or not, P continues rotating them in and out.

Halfway through a season we shouldn't be rotating our OL unless it's due to injury. Especially at Center. I can't understand a single reason to rotate the center in and out of the game when your OL is struggling. It's baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom