Is Huggy Bear a Hall of Famer? | The Boneyard

Is Huggy Bear a Hall of Famer?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
never had a problem with im. like him after he said he misses calhoun whooping his ass

Reaction Score
If he gets FF #3 I think he deserves it. Already has a FF with two different teams. Tough to think of a more respectable coach in the business right now. He revived Cinci's program, put WVU on the map, and has kept them elite in what has become (partly due to WVU joining) a very good basketball conference.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Yes. He might have been a Hall of Famer even before he went to WVU. Between Akron and Cincinnati he won almost 500 games (495 wins, 74 Win%) with a 1 Final Four and 2 Elite Eights with a ton of bad tournament luck. His time at WVU has only cemented it.

Reaction Score
Yes. He might have been a Hall of Famer even before he went to WVU. Between Akron and Cincinnati he won almost 500 games with a 1 Final Four and 2 Elite Eights with a ton of bad tournament luck. His time at WVU has only cemented it.
Had a great chance of winning it all before Kenyon Martin snapped his leg. Michigan State was rewarded that year.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Had a great chance of winning it all before Kenyon Martin snapped his leg. Michigan State was rewarded that year.
That's the biggest one but we definitely were not 50/50 in close tournament games. Felt like they all went against us. Amazing that even with 14 straight NCAA bids Huggins never beat a higher seeded team...mostly because we kept getting upset in flukey games.

Reaction Score
I remember being at a somewhat recent home game at gampel where he got thrown out of the game for running his mouth. Ever since then I've had this biased impression that the guy is an . Impressive resume tho...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's the biggest one but we definitely were not 50/50 in close tournament games. Felt like they all went against us. Amazing that even with 14 straight NCAA bids Huggins never beat a higher seeded team...mostly because we kept getting upset in flukey games.
Van Exel's final four team didn't knock off any higher seeds?

Reaction Score
Interesting line from Mike Bray today that is so abundantly true... He said West Virginia teams (and all Huggins teams) have men playing for them. They are always tough as hell, strong, etc. Remember some of his Cinci teams with Fortson, Bobby Brannen (sp?), and all those other guys? All gigantic dudes who were tough and mean. Have always liked Huggins and the way his teams' play. HOF'er in my book.

Reaction Score
I say yes. Always has tough teams and always makes the tournament.

Reaction Score
Don't know if he's a HOF'er but he's a very good coach, Is the 40 minutes of hell approach good for a tourney run to win 6 games? Fouls can be a problem if they start going against, also doing that press constantly can fatigue. He recruits tough players. Worked out well today though.

Reaction Score
I am not sure why he is so likeable here. Seems like a jerk. He kinda reminds me of Coach Cal but better at hiding the negative aspects of his personality. I doubt he runs a clean program. But oh well. Don't like the guy.

Reaction Score
Impressed by WVU's resurgence, that program looked like it was trending down just a few years ago.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don't mean a thing if he ain't got that ring. JC didn't get in until he won his second.

Reaction Score
I am not sure why he is so likeable here. Seems like a jerk. He kinda reminds me of Coach Cal but better at hiding the negative aspects of his personality. I doubt he runs a clean program. But oh well. Don't like the guy.
I always thought he came off as a jerk as well. From what I have seen and heard over the years, his players love playing for him. Obviously people thought Calhoun was a jerk over the years, but that was from an outsiders perspective. I dont have a problem with him in the HOF.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Reminds me of JC a bit actually.

Always remember this moment. Some people thought it was weird, but you can really see why his guys will run through walls for him. Dude cares.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom