Is Houston must win? Is it a nothing to lose game? | The Boneyard

Is Houston must win? Is it a nothing to lose game?

Reaction Score
Houston is cruising along. It just beat the Wichita team that beat us at home. Our Texas trips have become nightmares. We have no right to expect a good performance.

Can a nothing to lose game be a must win? Besides, "must win" is one of the most over used expressions in sports. Still, our Huskies need to stop the tumble before it becomes a full blown avalanche. It's darn close to a must win.

A surprise to the upside could change the entire trajectory of our season. A road win would be a welcome salve to a season on the brink. This team needs something so it can feel good about itself. Anyway you look at it, this a chance to earn a little respect even if it's only self respect.

Reaction Score
At this point I don’t think any game is must win. Season is too far gone and it’s only mid January. If you are among the delusional folks who think we could win the AAC then the tournament games are must wins. Of course we also don’t want to think Hurley has lost the team either but a few more losses and that could easily be the case

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Yes, in the sense that they have to learn to win and then keep on winning. 3 horrible losses for which there simply is no excuse. But 4 tough losses to tournament teams gives us a glimmer of hope

Finish strong, earn a few "quality" wins like Houston tomorrow, win at least 11 down the stretch and then 2 in the tourny, and they're at least on the bubble

Of course talking the talk and walking the walk are two totally different things. I have no reason to believe they can play themselves onto the bubble, but those 4 tough losses give me a glimmer of hope.

Reaction Score
This team isn't making the tournament and would be lucky to snag an NIT bid. This game, like every away game, especially against ranked opponents, is just another opportunity to learn some hard lessons this year, take some lumps, and learn the fine line between wins and moral victories heading into a hopefully better year next year.

Reaction Score
Yes, in the sense that they have to learn to win and then keep on winning. 3 horrible losses for which there simply is no excuse. But 4 tough losses to tournament teams gives us a glimmer of hope

Finish strong, earn a few "quality" wins like Houston tomorrow, win at least 11 down the stretch and then 2 in the tourny, and they're at least on the bubble

Of course talking the talk and walking the walk are two totally different things. I have no reason to believe they can play themselves onto the bubble, but those 4 tough losses give me a glimmer of hope.

Four "tough losses" mean pretty much nothing, given the fact that we have one quality win (Florida) and those three terrible losses. Close is good with horseshoes and hand grenades, but in our case, these close losses to Nova, Xavier, etc. don't mean anything when we lose to St. Joes.

We only have four games left against top 50 NET teams, and based on our record in conference so far and our goose egg road record, there's nothing to suggest we'll turn a corner now and win 10 or 11 down the stretch. Especially against those Q1 teams that we'd need beat.

This team will not be dancing (save for a hail mary in the conf. tournament) and it's not even about moral victories. It's just about developing the players we have now to retool for next season.

Reaction Score
This team isn't making the tournament and would be lucky to snag an NIT bid. This game, like every away game, especially against ranked opponents, is just another opportunity to learn some hard lessons this year, take some lumps, and learn the fine line between wins and moral victories heading into a hopefully better year next year.
I think the only moral victory we could have at this point, aside from one of our frosh going off for 25+ points is an actual victory against a ranked opponent in the conference. This fighting till the end, keeping it close but still losing stuff does not feel like a moral win anymore.

Reaction Score
I think the only moral victory we could have at this point, aside from one of our frosh going off for 25+ points is an actual victory against a ranked opponent in the conference. This fighting till the end, keeping it close but still losing stuff does not feel like a moral win anymore.

I've reached the point where I believe:

- against good teams on the road or at home, we'll play to their level and maybe threaten late and lose
- against bad teams on the road, we'll play to their level and probably lose
- against bad teams at home, we'll play to their level and maybe win (not including those Washington General types we smoked at the beginning of the year)

I know this is all setting up for a nice rebuild for Hurley but at this point it's almost like I'll believe it when I see it. We rightfully excuse our freshman every year for making freshman mistakes but talk about the recruiting class coming in like they're a boat load of 5 stars ready to contribute. We continually convince ourselves that the twigs will gain weight, that the boneheaded plays will eventually stop, that someone will learn how to shoot. I love Hurley, but man does he have a mountain to climb still.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
These guys need a confidence booster ASAP. Here would be amazing but taking care of business at home VS some decent teams will definitely do.

Reaction Score
You guys get disagree with me all you want but they've got GREAT coaching under Sampson down there in Houston. Ever since he's been their he's developed that team every season... They are TOUGH.. even if they're down talent wise.. In hindsight only, if he came here, He'd've done wonders with our program already... I'm not doubting Dan Hurley one bit.. It's just that if you look at Sampson's work with that program, he's got them balling down there... I'm certain that when we get some more frontcourt help, we'll probably be back to what UConn has been, the program EVERYBODY underestimates.. We'll be shocking the world again soon.

Reaction Score
Houston is on a roll and have grown men. We have not had much luck down there in their building. It could be a rough one. I hope I'm wrong...

Reaction Score
I am more bullish on this team than most people admittedly. Everyone is beating everyone this year which weakens the at-large field. Who says we can't win 7 in a row and get back into the conversation? I'll go must win.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Winning is a skill & this team needs to learn how to win, They have shown that they can play with anybody but winning is something they have yet to learn how to do collectively. A road win against a quality team would be a strong step in the right direction, another beat down by a conference foe on the road and well,,,

Reaction Score
I've reached the point where I believe:

- against good teams on the road or at home, we'll play to their level and maybe threaten late and lose
- against bad teams on the road, we'll play to their level and probably lose
- against bad teams at home, we'll play to their level and maybe win (not including those Washington General types we smoked at the beginning of the year)

I know this is all setting up for a nice rebuild for Hurley but at this point it's almost like I'll believe it when I see it. We rightfully excuse our freshman every year for making freshman mistakes but talk about the recruiting class coming in like they're a boat load of 5 stars ready to contribute. We continually convince ourselves that the twigs will gain weight, that the boneheaded plays will eventually stop, that someone will learn how to shoot. I love Hurley, but man does he have a mountain to climb still.
I just teared up reading how accurate this is.

You're 100% right. There is a "wait until Hurley gets his own guys" excuse and a "Hurley is building the culture first" excuse people are making.

The first doesn't realize our 2 person recruiting class plus Cole/Springs, although solid, is not flipping this program around. We don't have droves of talent lined up to come in. Hurley is gonna have to develop what he's got.
The "culture" excuse seems to be ignoring that winning tight games is part of building culture. Also we wonder if we're going to come out flat or actually play hard each game. That's a sign that the culture has not yet been changed. Thought the culture was a years 1 and 2 fix.

So yeah, I'll also believe it when I see it. I have faith.

Reaction Score
I just teared up reading how accurate this is.

You're 100% right. There is a "wait until Hurley gets his own guys" excuse and a "Hurley is building the culture first" excuse people are making.

The first doesn't realize our 2 person recruiting class plus Cole/Springs, although solid, is not flipping this program around. We don't have droves of talent lined up to come in. Hurley is gonna have to develop what he's got.
The "culture" excuse seems to be ignoring that winning tight games is part of building culture. Also we wonder if we're going to come out flat or actually play hard each game. That's a sign that the culture has not yet been changed. Thought the culture was a years 1 and 2 fix.

So yeah, I'll also believe it when I see it. I have faith.
Uh oh. You gonna be in big trouble for that post.

I am not one who thinks just because a guy comes to UConn he is a star. I’ve seen far to many stars turn to average for that. And with this team I really worry that they will just throw in the towel with a couple more losses in a league that they are too good for. Hope it but two tough road games could just be better he end of the road.

Reaction Score
Houston is a absolute terrible matchup for this team. WS and Nova were much better matchups..

Reaction Score
The way we struggle to make baskets I expect a curb stomp. Maybe we put up a better fight than last years AAC game but as said above this is a bad matchup. I hope we can catch them at Gampel at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Houston is cruising along. It just beat the Wichita team that beat us at home. Our Texas trips have become nightmares. We have no right to expect a good performance.

Can a nothing to lose game be a must win? Besides, "must win" is one of the most over used expressions in sports. Still, our Huskies need to stop the tumble before it becomes a full blown avalanche. It's darn close to a must win.

A surprise to the upside could change the entire trajectory of our season. A road win would be a welcome salve to a season on the brink. This team needs something so it can feel good about itself. Anyway you look at it, this a chance to earn a little respect even if it's only self respect.
A Very low win probability in this one
If Houston is looking ahead and comes out flat you never know.
But either way I’m looking for us to compete on defense. That’s a must everyday if we want to turn the corner.

Reaction Score
Losing to Villanova was the final dagger. We are playing to compete and get better game by gane and maybe get lucky in the AAC tourney. Too bad, but we play it out.

Reaction Score
Who else would start our first beloved “Is X a must win?” thread of the season

oh boy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69