Is Evina UConn’s best ever transfer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Evina UConn’s best ever transfer?

Reaction Score
I have consistently stated that I am a big supporter of Evina. I see that she steadily contributes to the team in every game. I have watched her play when she was wearing an Orange uniform and her play is more consistent wearing a UConn uniform. The elitists on this board, I am sure can explain this difference. Perhaps her senior eperience and quiet leadership has helped the team. I think that Geno has a lot of respect for her as he watched her practice everyday when she was in recovery. Yesterday, I watched her and Paige confer while someone from UConn was taking a foul shot with Paige shaking her head in concurrence. To me, that indicates that there is good communication with each willing help each other out. What I think that I see in Evina, is that she has accepted and tries to support Geno's plans on and off of the court.

Reaction Score
Westbrook impressed me at UT because her skill was evident even if it didn't translate to the best shooting numbers. I said for 2 years that Westbrook isn't a point guard even though she was put in that role. She can be a facilitator and team leader for sure and whether her problems at UT were coaching, teammates, chemistry or her attitude (and likely all played some factor) she's put those behind her and has been a great addition to UConn.

I have a feeling she bolts for the WNBA but if she stays UConn's backcourt will be the envy of the country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have consistently stated that I am a big supporter of Evina. I see that she steadily contributes to the team in every game. I have watched her play when she was wearing an Orange uniform and her play is more consistent wearing a UConn uniform. The elitists on this board, I am sure can explain this difference.
"Elitist"? On this board? Does it really take an "elitist" to explain this obvious difference?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stevens IMO was a better player than Westbrook but Evina seems to fit in better and enhance the team more. A lot of that comes down to situation and need, as Westbrook has come in and filled a role of being a leader and a glue player that UCONN needed. Stevens was joining a team that didn't really have a need for her, so she wasn't able to enhance the quality of play in the same way. She joined a team that returned 4 starters and had Dangerfield penciled in as the 5th starter. They came off a 36-1 season where they nearly won it all and had incredible chemistry. She was joining a polished team. Z was fantastic in her role, put up big numbers and was instrumental in both Notre Dame games, but she and Collier could never find a good rhythm together on the court and she went pro after Geno kept her on the bench during critical moments in the F4, after she had played great all game.

Ironically, I think Stevens wouldve been a fantastic transfer for UCONN in any of the 3 seasons after 2018. It was situational with that roster why it didn't work out as hoped.
That is very well said. How's this for even more irony or is this just plain bad luck. 1) UCONN failed to submit a transfer waiver for Azura which would have made her immediate eligible to add to team that had one loss. 2) Morgan Tuck decided to go pro. 3) In the season that Azura becomes eligible Natalie Butler transfers & Batouly is mostly injured. 4) Azura decides to go pro relegating Megan walker to being a post player for the next two season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That is very well said. How's this for even more irony or is this just plain bad luck. 1) UCONN failed to submit a transfer waiver for Azura which would have made her immediate eligible to add to team that had one loss. 2) Morgan Tuck decided to go pro. 3) In the season that Azura becomes eligible Natalie Butler transfers & Batouly is mostly injured. 4) Azura decides to go pro relegating Megan walker to being a post player for the next two season.

The 2016-17 team had incredible chemistry and was a solid unit, I'm not sure who comes off the bench if Stevens is immediately eligible or if Tuck returns to UCONN. As good as Tuck was I thought Collier in 2017 really thrived being the main front court player and getting so many touches. I think Collier was probably better player in 2017 than Morgan would have been had she returned. Having either likely helps their chances of beating Mississippi State.

Butler was never able to be a meaningful contributor to UCONN and knew she was buried on the depth chart after not being an effective player in 2017-18. Her transfer made a lot of sense with Stevens becoming eligible. No idea how effective Camara wouldve been if she was healthier.

Stevens leaving definitely left a hole in the middle for 2018-19. Especially going against big physical teams like Notre Dame and Baylor. Collier thrived without Z there but I think they wouldve definitely been a better team with Stevens.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I just hope that she decides to stay one more year. With the other 3 young ladies that come to UConn next year, they could have one of the most impressive teams in UConn history.
I'm not sure if my beef is with the player or NCAA, but it bothers me that player can get two years worth of scholarship for one year of playing, effectively twice what all other get. Transfers should have to declare how long they intend to stay, maybe. I don't know, there is no simple answer.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Westbrook impressed me at UT because her skill was evident even if it didn't translate to the best shooting numbers. I said for 2 years that Westbrook isn't a point guard even though she was put in that role. She can be a facilitator and team leader for sure and whether her problems at UT were coaching, teammates, chemistry or her attitude (and likely all played some factor) she's put those behind her and has been a great addition to UConn.

I have a feeling she bolts for the WNBA but if she stays UConn's backcourt will be the envy of the country.
UConn's backcourt will be the envy of the country with or without Westbrook. Fudd's addition and Muhl's continued progress will ensure that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if my beef is with the player or NCAA, but it bothers me that player can get two years worth of scholarship for one year of playing, effectively twice what all other get. Transfers should have to declare how long they intend to stay, maybe. I don't know, there is no simple answer.
Actually you can blame it on the NCAA, they are the ones that force the students too sit a year. It was them that would give some teams waivers (ND) while others (UConn) had the same type of requests were denied. Although it seems to have worked out with E because I don't believe that she could have been effective last year because of her injury. This year the NCAA gave a blanket waiver and I believe next year a new process begins where they are immediately eligible for playing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn's backcourt will be the envy of the country with or without Westbrook. Fudd's addition and Muhl's continued progress will ensure that.
UCONN's backcourt is the envy of the country right now. Next year that envy might turn into straight up anger!
I still think we will need better front court play to secure 12.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UCONN's backcourt is the envy of the country right now. Next year that envy might turn into straight up anger!
I still think we will need better front court play to secure 12.
I believe the front will court will be better. A more experienced Edwards, Griffin, McClean and even Gabriel will make that happen. Also, Poffenbarger may add some help. I still have hope for Ono.

Reaction Score
I would love Evina to stay, but if she does decide to leave for WNBA it will only be because of her knee's and wanting to get the most out of her pro career. Stevens didn't have injury issues and could have stayed, the two situations are not the same. Similar to Walker last year, I feel she would have been better served staying an extra year but you can't argue against their choices without understanding their own personal reasons.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would love Evina to stay, but if she does decide to leave for WNBA it will only be because of her knee's and wanting to get the most out of her pro career. Stevens didn't have injury issues and could have stayed, the two situations are not the same. Similar to Walker last year, I feel she would have been better served staying an extra year but you can't argue against their choices without understanding their own personal reasons.
If she goes pro it'll be for additional reasons other than just injury related. She'll have her degree and may be ready for the next step in her life. She will also likely be a high draft pick in 2021 but is unlikely to be picked as high in a much stronger 2022 class.

Reaction Score
Yes, that was a string of some very unfortunate events in terms of pushing us over the top during those years after Stewie.

Reaction Score
Lots of words here, but may I simply say the answer to the OP's question is...YES

Reaction Score
I don't know if E is the best ever transfer UConn had (Z and Hunter were probably better players) but i do think that she is the most important transfer in UConn history. Can you imagine what this team would look like without her leadership...She is the heart and soul of this team!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
People may have different meanings for “best” and “transfer,” but the most impactful transfer UConn had by anything measurable was Rita Williams, three-year starting PG after Rizzotti. She needed JC experience to get her academics in order before coming here, so I can understand her being overlooked on that account, she was always UConn bound. In terms of what she contributed to the team over three years there has been no parallel from a transfer since then.

Reaction Score
It’s not just numbers. Evina is the “heart and soul” of the team, according to her teammates. Azura was never that person.
Have to agree. Azura had stats, but they alone do not win games or measure heart.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People may have different meanings for “best” and “transfer,” but the most impactful transfer UConn had by anything measurable was Rita Williams, three-year starting PG after Rizzotti. She needed JC experience to get her academics in order before coming here, so I can understand her being overlooked on that account, she was always UConn bound. In terms of what she contributed to the team over three years there has been no parallel from a transfer since then.
Can anyone provide some stats on Rita Williams? Her name has come up a couple of times in PG discussions and I just don't recall.

Reaction Score
Can anyone provide some stats on Rita Williams? Her name has come up a couple of times in PG discussions and I just don't recall.
Best I can do is career 7PPg and 3 RPG. Starting PG jr and sr years and Big East Tourney MVP her Sr. year. Graduated in '98.

Reaction Score
Evina=Excellent!
In All Ways! She gets my vote for best transfer!
I hope she stays, as I would love to see per play in-person next year!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Best I can do is career 7PPg and 3 RPG. Starting PG jr and sr years and Big East Tourney MVP her Sr. year. Graduated in '98.
Thanks. I forgot Rizzotti and Williams overlapped one year. Williams went on to play in the WNBA for 8 years and was the first Fever player to become an all-star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom