Is Duncanville TX the UConn of High School Basketball? | The Boneyard

Is Duncanville TX the UConn of High School Basketball?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Odd about Geno refusing to recruit at the school. There has to be more to the story. He is strong-minded, yes. But the story, when you think about it, makes him look petty. That doesn't ring true.

Reaction Score
I agree.........unless the school did some underhanded stuff back then, I'm not sure why Geno would bypass a school that produces so many good players

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Odd about Geno refusing to recruit at the school. There has to be more to the story. He is strong-minded, yes. But the story, when you think about it, makes him look petty. That doesn't ring true.
I think it is just the 'luck of the draw' in terms of which players UConn recruits - if their was another Catchings coming through there he would be in that gym in a heartbeat. There aren't a whole lot of repeat recruits from any single HS - Mater Dei and CTK are the two that come to mind, plus one in OH.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it is just the 'luck of the draw' in terms of which players UConn recruits - if their was another Catchings coming through there he would be in that gym in a heartbeat. There aren't a whole lot of repeat recruits from any single HS - Mater Dei and CTK are the two that come to mind, plus one in OH.

They've had Ariel Atkins (ranked top 3 by most publications coming out of HS) and Tiffany Jackson (former NFOY and top 5 recruit). Kind of surprised Geno didn't go for either of these kids, unless they made it known that they wanted to go to Texas from day 1.

Also seems a bit odd about a specific school...isn't the vast majority of recruiting done at AAU tournaments and summer gigs? I know coaches will go to high school games to show support to their recruits, but in other sports (ex. softball/volleyball), high school is almost negligible since all recruitment is conducted through club. A lot of top high school volleyball players will actually skip playing high school volleyball to train individually or get some rest for club season/summer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As a native Texan, I would definitely say that Duncanville is the UConn of Texas girls' high school basketball. They have been a dynasty for about as long as I can remember. Even when they haven't won it all, the road to the Texas state title seems to always go through them.

Reaction Score
As a native Texan, I would definitely say that Duncanville is the UConn of Texas girls' high school basketball. They have been a dynasty for about as long as I can remember. Even when they haven't won it all, the road to the Texas state title seems to always go through them.

so would you say this is just hyperbole on the part of Self-Morgan?

Reaction Score
... that which part is hyperbole, exactly?

the part where she says that Geno said he would never step foot in Duncanville ever again after Catchings signed elswhere..............

Plebe

Reaction Score
the part where she says that Geno said he would never step foot in Duncanville ever again after Catchings signed elswhere....
Yeah, I have a very hard time believing that. So just because Catchings decided to go elsewhere, he's going to spend the rest of his career refusing to visit one of the nation's premiere high school programs? What did they do, turn him in to the NCAA for alleged and imagined violations?

Not seeing it. But what do I know.

Plebe

Reaction Score
According to Wikipedia's entry on Duncanville HS:

The school's most notable success has been in girls' basketball, where it has won nine state titles, including three consecutive from 1988-1990 while winning 134 consecutive games in the state's largest enrollment classification (a state record)[23] before losing in the 1992 state semifinal.[24] They also won 105 consecutive games and two consecutive state titles 2012-2013 before losing in the 2014 state final.[25] The girls teams were undefeated champions in 1989 (39-0), 1990 (37-0), 1997 (40-0), 2013 (42-0), and 2016 (39-0).

How many undefeated seasons has UConn had?

Reaction Score
According to Wikipedia's entry on Duncanville HS:

The school's most notable success has been in girls' basketball, where it has won nine state titles, including three consecutive from 1988-1990 while winning 134 consecutive games in the state's largest enrollment classification (a state record)[23] before losing in the 1992 state semifinal.[24] They also won 105 consecutive games and two consecutive state titles 2012-2013 before losing in the 2014 state final.[25] The girls teams were undefeated champions in 1989 (39-0), 1990 (37-0), 1997 (40-0), 2013 (42-0), and 2016 (39-0).

How many undefeated seasons has UConn had?

I could be wrong but I think it is six going on seven

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They've had Ariel Atkins (ranked top 3 by most publications coming out of HS) and Tiffany Jackson (former NFOY and top 5 recruit). Kind of surprised Geno didn't go for either of these kids, unless they made it known that they wanted to go to Texas from day 1.

Also seems a bit odd about a specific school...isn't the vast majority of recruiting done at AAU tournaments and summer gigs? I know coaches will go to high school games to show support to their recruits, but in other sports (ex. softball/volleyball), high school is almost negligible since all recruitment is conducted through club. A lot of top high school volleyball players will actually skip playing high school volleyball to train individually or get some rest for club season/summer.
We got our first and only TX recruit 5 years ago (we have another coming next year and a third who has verbaled) and we have not been in the final cut down for very many TX players that I can think of - Chiney, Bone ... ? Not sure why, except it is a bigger culture shock for kids and families than most other parts of the country except the deep south, and the TX and surround state school options have always been strong in WCBB.

Reaction Score
We got our first and only TX recruit 5 years ago (we have another coming next year and a third who has verbaled) and we have not been in the final cut down for very many TX players that I can think of - Chiney, Bone ... ? Not sure why, except it is a bigger culture shock for kids and families than most other parts of the country except the deep south, and the TX and surround state school options have always been strong in WCBB.
"Howdy Pardner"
upload_2017-3-3_23-40-21.png

Reaction Score

Interesting that Green said she spoke to MoJef about UConn yet didn't include the Huskies on her list............obviously there's a lack of interest on one side or both.........

Reaction Score
Story seems to be just that-statements not based on fact. Geno would go to Alaska if the #1 recruit expressed interest in UConn. Living in TX, comments about culture shock are spot on. Snow, freezing weather, hours of travel away from home, etc. don't lend themselves to recruiting. If you are totally committed to being best in nation like MoJeff, you will fight to go to UConn. Otherwise, if other top local options exist, you take the local route.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that many of the players are very religious and seem to enjoy spending a lot of time with their families..........they also seem to enjoy living in Texas.........that's not to say that many kids in other areas don't feel the same......I sense the Texas kids don't feel the need to leave the state the way kids do in the Northeast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom