Is Cincinnati telling recruits they're joining the Big 12? | The Boneyard

Is Cincinnati telling recruits they're joining the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a UCF site (that cannot be linked ;) because it has a certain word in it):

JUCO DT Terrell Clinkscales says that's what he was told by Bearcats DB coach Steve Clinkscale, who just happens to have a similar last name.

Clinkscale, a Chicago native attending Dodge City C.C. in Kansas, tweeted this late Friday night:

"I met coach Clinkscales at Cincinnati. Them bearcats going to the big 12 next year"

a.jpg

Cincinnati, along with schools like BYU, UCF and USF, have been touted as possible Big 12 expansion candidates should the league choose to add members. For now though, the Big 12 says they're happy at 10.

The pitch of a future in the Power Five could be part of a larger recruiting strategy since Cincinnati (along with UConn) certainly isn't happy they were "left behind" in the last round of realignment.

Several weeks ago during his radio show, Cincinnati head coach Tommy Tuberville made the following comment (credit goes to UC fan Matt Dumont @MDumont11 for the quote):

"We have to start recruiting the best talent that's ever been at Cincinnati in case we make a move here in the future so we'll be able to compete with the top teams in the country immediately."

Reaction Score
From a UCF site (that cannot be linked ;) because it has a certain word in it):

JUCO DT Terrell Clinkscales says that's what he was told by Bearcats DB coach Steve Clinkscale, who just happens to have a similar last name.

Clinkscale, a Chicago native attending Dodge City C.C. in Kansas, tweeted this late Friday night:

"I met coach Clinkscales at Cincinnati. Them bearcats going to the big 12 next year"

View attachment 4110

Cincinnati, along with schools like BYU, UCF and USF, have been touted as possible Big 12 expansion candidates should the league choose to add members. For now though, the Big 12 says they're happy at 10.

The pitch of a future in the Power Five could be part of a larger recruiting strategy since Cincinnati (along with UConn) certainly isn't happy they were "left behind" in the last round of realignment.

Several weeks ago during his radio show, Cincinnati head coach Tommy Tuberville made the following comment (credit goes to UC fan Matt Dumont @MDumont11 for the quote):

"We have to start recruiting the best talent that's ever been at Cincinnati in case we make a move here in the future so we'll be able to compete with the top teams in the country immediately."

If true, it is an interesting pitch that seems premature unless Cincinnati is actually having more significant discussions with the Big 12 about membership.
I recall a similar story about Rutgers telling recruits about a move to the B1G that was posted 9 months before it was announced.
http://www.onthebanks.com/2012/2/9/...as-been-telling-recruits-it-plans-on-being-in

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Uconn is telling recruits how awesome SMU and Houston are gonna be and that the Miami Beach bowl is actually only 15 miles from the beach

Reaction Score
Remember the recruit is a JC guy. Anyone with half a brain would know you can't just leave lickity split. :rolleyes:

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I am sure that Warde has a contingency plan in the case that UC and a USF take off. USF is a better overall university then UCF so I think they are second in line unless BYU makes the move with Cincy. It may push UConn to ask the Big 10 and ACC to please reconsider there holding pattern. Couldn't ask for a worst football year to have this happen. Even if BB teams do well, the football taste in everyones mouth is just so sour. I don't think the team can get any lower then right now. Our conference affiliation yes, the team no.

Reaction Score
I'm making a wild guess that Tuberville went to Cincinnatti because "he was also told something".

Remember the big marketing campaign Cincinnatti had last year concerning facility upgrades? They certainly didn't have to rush into a capital campaign to get bigger name opponents on the schedule......or to show they mean business (make a statement) when it comes to college football. They all ready played Oklahoma at Paul Brown Stadium very well in 2010 and had a good crowd doing so.

Would someone of Tuberville's talents and resume (pundits considered it a big catch for Cincinnatti), Cincinnatti's "statement", leave a dinner with his current players to come to UConn?.......I don't think so.

If true, not surprised.

Reaction Score
He left Lubbuck...as Mac Davis sang...in his rear view mirror....

I don't think that he cared for the tumbleweed blown plains of west Texas. He probably rushed out of that dinner, leaving the rubber chicken untouched, to catch that train out of Lubbuck before it left the station.

Reaction Score
I am sure that Warde has a contingency plan in the case that UC and a USF take off. USF is a better overall university then UCF so I think they are second in line unless BYU makes the move with Cincy. It may push UConn to ask the Big 10 and ACC to please reconsider there holding pattern. Couldn't ask for a worst football year to have this happen. Even if BB teams do well, the football taste in everyones mouth is just so sour. I don't think the team can get any lower then right now. Our conference affiliation yes, the team no.

I am considered a troll on this board because I speak what I believe to be reality, which clashes with the wishful, magical thinkers who are the most prominent posters here. Warde has no contingency plan because one needs to be invited to a conference and it appears based on what I read on this board that UConn is behind schools like UCF, USF and Cinci when it comes to next in line for CR. All of the begging and pleading and asking for a conference to reconsider will not help. The ACC has rejected UConn twice. What makes you think that Warde will have any pull in getting UConn out of this hell? I don't understand the thinking here. Contingency plan? I think the time for a contingency plan ran out when the BE was dissolving. Once Pitt was taken with Syracuse over UConn due to the actions of Mr. DeFillipo of BC, that just about put the nail in UConn's coffin. The admission of L'ville was the final nail. Warde had absolutely no control over this and still has no control over anything in this regard.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has always been on the ACC short list...when the ACC expanded in 1991...the votes were split between Syracuse and FSU. When the ACC expanded in 2003, Cuse was supposed to be in, not VT...but you know what happened with Virginia's blackmailing vote.

Pitt? They have a long history of playing Notre Dame and are a Notre Dame gimme.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What contingency plan could exist for USF or UCF leaving? Florida Atlantic and Florida International?

Reaction Score
I think he meant his contingency plan is to get out of Connecticut and find another AD job. Going to take a miracle at this point. We missed all the boats and the Titanic is underwater and we cant find anything to float on currently. Only so long you can tread before you drown.

Reaction Score
You guys are underestimating the work of a marketing department. Lure people in with the promise of the big 12, and if it doesn't happen, well then it's too late -- they've already got you.

Yes, this doesn't work in the long-run -- folks will eventually figure out you can't be trusted -- but Cinci is betting this is a short-term game. Seems like a reasonable bet.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has always been on the ACC short list...when the ACC expanded in 1991...the votes were split between Syracuse and FSU. When the ACC expanded in 2003, Cuse was supposed to be in, not VT...but you know what happened with Virginia's blackmailing vote.

Pitt? They have a long history of playing Notre Dame and are a Notre Dame gimme.

I'm trying to figure out what the context of this post is. I have no idea why you posted this.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out what the context of this post is. I have no idea why you posted this.
He was responding to post #12. The really depressed fan, buddy, aka "troll".

Reaction Score
He left Lubbuck...as Mac Davis sang...in his rear view mirror....

I don't think that he cared for the tumbleweed blown plains of west Texas. He probably rushed out of that dinner, leaving the rubber chicken untouched, to catch that train out of Lubbuck before it left the station.

Isn't Tuberville's wife from Cincinnati? Seems like that was one reason given for him taking the UC job.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Isn't Tuberville's wife from Cincinnati? Seems like that was one reason given for him taking the UC job.
This was supposedly the major reason why he left for Cincy. People can make up whatever else they want but I would bet that basically things weren't working out at TT, the wife wanted to go home, and Tuberville said sure, why not.

Reaction Score
This was supposedly the major reason why he left for Cincy. People can make up whatever else they want but I would bet that basically things weren't working out at TT, the wife wanted to go home, and Tuberville said sure, why not.

Yeah, I kind of got the idea that he was never real thrilled about living in Lubbock, or, with Tech running the Air Raid offense. He was always more of a pro-set offense type of HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom