Is Caroline available against Kansas? | The Boneyard

Is Caroline available against Kansas?

Reaction Score
Is she able to play tonight?
Don't know, ... But besides the NECK SPASMS... IMHO (perhaps) GENO did not want Caroline
to be banging up against all those 6'3', 6' 4" and 6'7" UCLA players. Hope for the best and
save Carol for a different team. Perhaps KANSAS with only one really big player, 6' 6". Thoughts??

Reaction Score
Don't know, ... But besides the NECK SPASMS... IMHO (perhaps) GENO did not want Caroline
to be banging up against all those 6'3', 6' 4" and 6'7" UCLA players. Hope for the best and
save Carol for a different team. Perhaps KANSAS with only one really big player, 6' 6". Thoughts??
Everyone seems to have a "big" player or two this season. So Kansas likely does, but I have no idea. As for Caroline; an injury ( neck ) worrisome enough to keep her out of UCLA game, will likely not go away in 24 hours. I'll be surprised if she plays today. No announcement yet, as far as I know

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We should have an answer in the next hour...:rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I noticed on the UCLA replay that Caroline, on the bench in street clothes, was wearing glasses instead of contacts, and also earplugs. In other words, she had deployed the full concussion protection wardrobe that she wore last year in games that she could not play. That suggests that her "neck spasms" may be concussion-related.

Back to the future?

Reaction Score
We will find out soon enough but there was a pic of the team watching the LSU vs Virginia game and I didn't see her.

Reaction Score
I noticed on the UCLA replay that Caroline, on the bench in street clothes, was wearing glasses instead of contacts, and also earplugs. In other words, she had deployed the full concussion protection wardrobe that she wore last year in games that she could not play. That suggests that her "neck spasms" may be concussion-related.

Back to the future?
Maggie Vanoni let the cat out of the bag in her recent article: "Despite spending all summer healthy and refocusing her rehab, Ducharme continues to deal with lingering side effects from a handful of bad hits throughout her first two years in Storrs. 'Caroline’s always day-to-day,” Auriemma said. “We show up. They tell us if she's going. She's going she goes, if she can’t, she can't.'” So this "neck spasm" is the result of concussions, either a recent one, or the endless symptoms of a series of concussions. Let's just hope that she can eventually overcome these injuries and lead a normal life. If she plays basketball again, great. But let's hope for a normal life for her first. This is very serious. UConn women's basketball forced to 'start over' with new lineup combinations after recent injuries

Reaction Score
Maggie Vanoni let the cat out of the bag in her recent article: "Despite spending all summer healthy and refocusing her rehab, Ducharme continues to deal with lingering side effects from a handful of bad hits throughout her first two years in Storrs. 'Caroline’s always day-to-day,” Auriemma said. “We show up. They tell us if she's going. She's going she goes, if she can’t, she can't.'” So this "neck spasm" is the result of concussions, either a recent one, or the endless symptoms of a series of concussions. Let's just hope that she can eventually overcome these injuries and lead a normal life. If she plays basketball again, great. But let's hope for a normal life for her first. This is very serious. UConn women's basketball forced to 'start over' with new lineup combinations after recent injuries
Sadly it may be the best for both sides to move on. But that’s just my opinion and I’ll probably get blasted for it.
I think a better alternative might have been to redshirt for a year with no practice which might have finally cleared up her post-concussion symptoms for good.........that's what my daughter was forced to do after her last concussion.........symptoms eventually cleared for good and she was able to return to athletics.......of course, every person reacts differently depending on the damage....

Reaction Score
Let the cat out of the bag? Geno and Caroline both said this in preseason interviews.

Reaction Score
I hope she recovers. I am 2 years post concussion from a bike accident and still dealing with balance issues. Concussions are no joke and we have poor diagnostic and treatment options
Good luck going forward, Edward... I suspect there are plenty of cases in which people don't really even realize they've been concussed. And then we have the NFL.

Reaction Score
A scary story has Anthony Rizzo, the Yankee first baseman, got hit in head and neck area around 1b by Padres Fernando Tatis back in June!
He stumbled around right after but 4 or 5 days later reports said NO concussion 3 days later he was back playing!
The next two months his average fell from .330 to about .200 and he said he feels funny so they checked him out again and Doctors said he has concussion symptoms!
He didn't play the rest of the season!
Don't go to those Doctors

Reaction Score
Saw this on TV! Here is the information:
I wonder if BB has researched if this will help players with prevention of concussions and/or neck injuries?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Saw this on TV! Here is the information:
I wonder if BB has researched if this will help players with prevention of concussions and/or neck injuries?
There are a few players in the NFL wearing them.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
A scary story has Anthony Rizzo, the Yankee first baseman, got hit in head and neck area around 1b by Padres Fernando Tatis back in June!
He stumbled around right after but 4 or 5 days later reports said NO concussion 3 days later he was back playing!
The next two months his average fell from .330 to about .200 and he said he feels funny so they checked him out again and Doctors said he has concussion symptoms!
He didn't play the rest of the season!
Don't go to those Doctors
I don’t know if it is the doctors fault or not. Let me emphasize that diagnosis and treatment of concussions is not terribly advanced. Concussion symptoms that appear early may differ from those that appear late. In my case I didn’t start having symptoms for a month after my fall. I hit my head on the road, never lost consciousness, no headache or any other symptoms for the first month. I then began having vertigo issues which worsened in frequency and duration over the next several months. I no longer ride a road bike. I sold it last month after 20 years of triathlons! When I went to get rid of my helmet though I noticed a very slight crack in the plastic casing where I had hit my head. I have completed treatment with the American Institute of Balance and am vertigo free. I still though struggle with walking in a straight line.

Reaction Score
I think a better alternative might have been to redshirt for a year with no practice which might have finally cleared up her post-concussion symptoms for good.........that's what my daughter was forced to do after her last concussion.........symptoms eventually cleared for good and she was able to return to athletics.......of course, every person reacts differently depending on the damage....
Yeah I'll be honest, I almost wish they would just advise her to stop playing unless/until the symptoms get cleared up. I appreciate that this is her passion, but life is a lot bigger (and hopefully longer) and this could have lasting impacts. I'd much rather she have a life devoid of these issues than suit up another game.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'll be honest, I almost wish they would just advise her to stop playing unless/until the symptoms get cleared up. I appreciate that this is her passion, but life is a lot bigger (and hopefully longer) and this could have lasting impacts. I'd much rather she have a life devoid of these issues than suit up another game.
I agree..........although I'm sure this has been discussed with UConn medical staff/coaches.........she should consider taking enough time off to eliminate any issues related to the concussion and only then should she make a decision regarding basketball.......

Reaction Score
IF she is still suffering from concussion issues that are severe enough to keep her out of games, then yes, she should stop playing until the issues are resolved. I know she wants to play and would like to play professionally one day. Step one to do those things is getting to the point where she can take the physical abuse that comes with the turf. That could be never.

She is being treated and monitored by doctors and I haven't heard that the doctors have said she needs to stop playing, which gives me hope her issues are not career threatening. I doubt anyone, doctors included, have a high level of confidence on how this plays out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom