Ira Lee | The Boneyard

Ira Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
He's an Oakland Soldier, did we ever got one? Arizona alliance.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He's an Oakland Soldier, did we ever got one? Arizona alliance.
yeah, that definitely seems to give the advantage to CAL and AZ.

Reaction Score
@iramandoesit: Man o man I'm truly blessed to receive an offer from UCONN #Huskies #blessed #boyonamission #Salute http
That fact that he used the term, "I'm truly blessed", makes me believe he's one of those recruits who is Christian faith based. I'm never sure how to describe this sort of person. I hate the term religious since many may consider themselves a "Christian" because they were born into a family that had some sort of religious background and either don't follow what their predecessors did or just attend some sort of services out of obligation or habit. Anyhow, I'm referring to the kids that seem to have some sort of personal connection to Jesus which seem to gravitate to KO due to his faith based orientation. Now it doesn't always equate to landing said recruit, but it sure seems to have elicited this type of favorable UConn reaction when KO offers them a scholarship. BTW, not to spark a discussion on this topic, but most of these offers are soft-offers where KO isn't ready to take that verbal just yet. It's usually contingent on seeing how they do in the classroom and with their test scores, often requires a visit, usually an official one, but not always. And I'm assuming these things also give the program time to track their progress on and off the court, giving them time to decide which recruits would be the best fit and ones to extend a hard-offer. In this case, maybe KO would accept a verbal from Lee if he expressed such, but I tend to think that when the recruits say, such and such offered, it's not one that the program would welcome a decision just yet.

Reaction Score
That fact that he used the term, "I'm truly blessed", makes me believe he's one of those recruits who is Christian faith based. I'm never sure how to describe this sort of person. I hate the term religious since many may consider themselves a "Christian" because they were born into a family that had some sort of religious background and either don't follow what their predecessors did or just attend some sort of services out of obligation or habit. Anyhow, I'm referring to the kids that seem to have some sort of personal connection to Jesus which seem to gravitate to KO due to his faith based orientation. Now it doesn't always equate to landing said recruit, but it sure seems to have elicited this type of favorable UConn reaction when KO offers them a scholarship. BTW, not to spark a discussion on this topic, but most of these offers are soft-offers where KO isn't ready to take that verbal just yet. It's usually contingent on seeing how they do in the classroom and with their test scores, often requires a visit, usually an official one, but not always. And I'm assuming these things also give the program time to track their progress on and off the court, giving them time to decide which recruits would be the best fit and ones to extend a hard-offer. In this case, maybe KO would accept a verbal from Lee if he expressed such, but I tend to think that when the recruits say, such and such offered, it's not one that the program would welcome a decision just yet.

LOL the over analyzation is priceless

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
No wonder Abu went NC State!:p

Reaction Score
DogMania said:
That fact that he used the term, "I'm truly blessed", makes me believe he's one of those recruits who is Christian faith based.

I wouldn't put much stock in it. It's hard to find an interview with a recruit these days who doesn't use the word "blessed."

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put much stock in it. It's hard to find an interview with a recruit these days who doesn't use the word "blessed."
I don't think it's as prevalent as you think. Granted you might here it more in the Bible Belt mid-west, but I rarely hear that from anyone in the northeast.

Reaction Score
No wonder Abu went NC State!:p
Not sure what your point is here. I think Abu is Muslim and a very devout one who wanted to find a school that had a strong Muslim population. He really liked KO due to what he likely perceived someone who was devout to their own faith and valued such even if it wasn't their own. There was that highly ranked kid from Chicago, who was a devout Mormon who added UConn late to his top 5 due to his respect for KO. His name escapes me know.

Many might discount it, but KO's faith and character is attracting recruits that in the past might not have considered the JC coached program. Don't get me wrong. I love JC...Jim Calhoun for those who might have thought I was slipping a in there, who I do admittedly love ;). JC was viewed as a high character, and strong fatherly role model by recruits and their guardians. He wasn't one of those coaches that would BS you with promising PT. He was straight forward, telling recruits that they would have to earn minutes but by doing so he'd coach the best out of them. Though he also admitted that many would later on question, "Is this the same nice guy that sat in my living room?" days into their UConn career as they got an earful of tough lovin'. IMO, KO and JC attract some similar types of recruits; the ones that realize they have to earn their PT and want to work hard to get to the NBA or as high a level they can achieve. The ones that want their spot given to them because they're silver spooned, rarely show much interest in UConn. I'm fine with them going elsewhere. I do hate when we miss on the ones we call UConn type players that are cut from the out-will you mold. I hope KO lands a bunch of them. It seems clear that Adams is one of these that we'll all fall in love with like we did with Ricky Moore, Khalid, Kemba and Bazz. Etched in my mind are the pounding of chests, leaping on tables, etc. moments that forever paint the picture of what a true Husky is all about.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is here. I think Abu is Muslim and a very devout one who wanted to find a school that had a strong Muslim population. He really liked KO due to what he likely perceived someone who was devout to their own faith and valued such even if it wasn't their own. There was that highly ranked kid from Chicago, who was a devout Mormon who added UConn late to his top 5 due to his respect for KO. His name escapes me know.

Many might discount it, but KO's faith and character is attracting recruits that in the past might not have considered the JC coached program. Don't get me wrong. I love JC...Jim Calhoun for those who might have thought I was slipping a in there, who I do admittedly love ;). JC was viewed as a high character, and strong fatherly role model by recruits and their guardians. He wasn't one of those coaches that would BS you with promising PT. He was straight forward, telling recruits that they would have to earn minutes but by doing so he'd coach the best out of them. Though he also admitted that many would later on question, "Is this the same nice guy that sat in my living room?" days into their UConn career as they got an earful of tough lovin'. IMO, KO and JC attract some similar types of recruits; the ones that realize they have to earn their PT and want to work hard to get to the NBA or as high a level they can achieve. The ones that want their spot given to them because they're silver spooned, rarely show much interest in UConn. I'm fine with them going elsewhere. I do hate when we miss on the ones we call UConn type players that are cut from the out-will you mold. I hope KO lands a bunch of them. It seems clear that Adams is one of these that we'll all fall in love with like we did with Ricky Moore, Khalid, Kemba and Bazz. Etched in my mind are the pounding of chests, leaping on tables, etc. moments that forever paint the picture of what a true Husky is all about.
Smh...I bet you're a hit at parties:cool:, it was a joke "big guy" (aka DogMania, for those who might have thought I was slipping in a God reference there;))

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
There was that highly ranked kid from Chicago, who was a devout Mormon who added UConn late to his top 5 due to his respect for KO. His name escapes me know.

Jabari Parker. He added UConn to his top 11 after KO got hired.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
In a recent interview with Scout, Lee said that UConn is in his "top group" along with California, Texas, Arizona, Arizona State, and Auburn.

C

Chief00

I think zona is the team to beat

Agreed

I will also say this about Calhoun. He may have said MF a few times (ok a lot) and he may not of wore his faith on his sleeve for all to see - but he had some inner faith and values that sometimes those who wear their faith on their sleeve don't truly have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
For people like me who have to click on the tweet to see the whole picture, we didn't make the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom