Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes.

I'm smarter than the other guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Keep your Apple stock, they are going to sell a gabazillion of these things.

Reaction Score
No doubt you should....should you get an iphone or a phone trying to be like the iphone;)

Reaction Score
But will you keep it longer than 7 months if you are not overwhelmed with it's ability to replicate the success of the original iPhone?

Reaction Score
But will you keep it longer than 7 months if you are not overwhelmed with it's ability to replicate the success of the original iPhone?
Definitely. I will keep this for my entire 2 year plan if I get it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I tend to be pretty agnostic when it comes to hardware. I procure tons of hardware for my company and I've found it's really detrimental to get attached emotionally to one solution or another. You have to leave your emotions at the door and define what you are looking for in a product.

iProducts tend to be very good at what they do and are typically ultra stable. However, they tend to be kind of pricey which is probably not a problem with the iPhone as the phone companies eat some of the cost to sign you to a data plan. However, the the iPhone is no longer the best technical phone you can get all the time. In a month or two, Samsung and Motorola will have better technical phones and in 6 months, most Android and Windows 8 phones will be far better in technical aspects, but that doesn't make them better phones. If it does what you want and isn't ridiculously slow, who cares if the newer phone has a faster processor?

There's a reason Apple no longer bothers to tell you the processor or thinness or screen size - they have been bypassed and have no interest in keeping up in a technology war against other companies (as opposed when the first iPhone came out) - they can't compete on that level. They compete on being rock solid and totally usable out of the box - not what they can be.

Likewise the droid phones don't try to tell you about how solid they are or that they will have the newest OS's installed on them when they come available (you have what you bought for a long time - it took over 8 months after Ice Cream Sandwich came out before it was ported to my best of class Samsung Galaxy SII when I bought it over a year ago). Droid phones are about hardware and being the best tech phones available when they are released.

If you want a simple smartphone that is rock solid and performs well and you don't want to mess with things on it, get an iphone. If you want to be able to do some interesting things on your phone or load random (and sometimes lethal) apps, get an Android. The Windows 8 phones will be coming out soon and while they won't initially have as many apps, they are being pretty well reviewed and might be the best choice if you want something in between. And don't doubt the might of Microsoft - even if they don't have as many apps now, they will catch up quickly.

Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any phone that is in the iPhone 5 category - all of them will be good, if not great. It's just a matter of what you want in your phone.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, that's completely inaccurate.

There is nothing superior about the technology that goes into the average Samsung or Motorola phone. They're absolutely generic - generic processors, plastic bodies and pentile screens.

I have a Galaxy SIII which is utterly state of the art in terms of what anyone outside of Apple sells.

There is just nothing to the phone. It's nice once you strip away the skin that Samsung puts over Android, but there isn't a single thing about this phone that screams "I am a technological marvel!" It's plastic, it's pentile and it's huge because it needs to be in order to deliver any sort of battery life.

Reaction Score
Should I get it or not?

I thought the original iphone was an amazing piece of technology but Apple just seems to have lost it on the innovation front. Two years of R&D (the 4S was a miniscule update) and hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank and all we got yesterday was an extra row of icons. No new camera (ala Pureview), no NFC but we did get a new proprietary connector. Of course, Apple will gladly sell you an adapter for $30 a pop so that you can use it with all your previously iPod compatible devices. Having said that, the adapters do not convert digital to analog so if you use a speaker dock, it won't output audio so enjoy your new AUX input. Also, for fear of infringing on some of Samsung's 4G patents, most US iphone 5's will not do simultaneous voice and data which most android phones can do. So if your talking on your new iphone, no email or web browsing.

If you're already trapped in the Apple ecosystem, then stay with Apple. It'll be harder to get out than deal with some of these shortcomings.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If you're already trapped in the Apple ecosystem, then stay with Apple. It'll be harder to get out than deal with some of these shortcomings.
That's how they get ya. And the more Apple stuff you have the harder it is to get something that isn't Apple.

Not necessarily a point on iPhones but a general idea on Apple tech. The iPhone is a great phone in general based on what all my friends say but I think the gap between it and other smart phones isn't really that big. 8 (?) years ago it was ground breaking but as far as innovation goes I don't think they are where they were at that point.

SJ

Reaction Score
Hell yes.

I don't think I would replace a current iPhone with the newer version, since I don't care about panoramic pix, the ability to make movies on my phone, the speakers (that much), and my phone is pretty fast (LTE will be super fast), but if I didn't have one, absolutely this is the way to go.

SJ

Reaction Score
Hell yes.

I don't think I would replace a current iPhone with the newer version, since I don't care about panoramic pix, the ability to make movies on my phone, the speakers (that much), and my phone is pretty fast (LTE will be super fast), but if I didn't have one, absolutely this is the way to go.
Oh yeah, and I have small hands. The larger size seems dangerous for me. I'd probably drop it. But if you have big man hands, go for it.

Reaction Score
Yup, that's how I got started too. I was always sort of against Apple for a long time. I did not like the OS, etc. But a few years ago my girlfriend bought me an iPod. Now I've got a MacBook Pro, iPad and the iPhone 4, too. I like the iPhone but I don't have any plans to upgrade to the 5. As Nittany and mets said, once you start going down the Apple road, it's tough to switch. Not to say I don't like their products, I do. I like the interface now and I find them relatively easy to use. But it does restrict you a bit if you go with Apple.

It also depends on what you are using it for. I actually had a Samsung phone for two weeks before I got the iPhone, but I could not stand the way the email was organized. I use it a lot for work. I liked the Samsung phone otherwise, but I just could not accept the email interface. So i ended up getting the iPhone. I'm sure the Samsung interface is different now, but I've already chosen my path.

Reaction Score
If you want to use your smartphone as is go for the iphone. If you plan to customize it and use more advance apps/widgets go for a droid. That's about as simple as I've seen it broken down

Reaction Score
...It's plastic, it's pentile and it's huge because it needs to be in order to deliver any sort of battery life.

Don't tell me you can tell a difference between pentile and not on a 720p 4.6-4.8" screen. Either way I'd pick Amoled over LCD any time. Try reading kindle in the dark with dark screen and light letters. On amoled you get pure black background. On LCD you get a shiny grey one.

Another issue with the iphone will be that even with LTE it won't be able to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon and Sprint. That's something that android phones could do since the first LTE phones came out. If you think it won't affect you, try doing navigation and then get a phone call. Good luck with that.

Finally the screen on the iphone was small to begin with. They only extended it length-wise and called it a day. Thanks but no thanks.

Reaction Score
Here's a convincing video on why you should buy the new I-phone 5.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom