Iowa thoughts | The Boneyard

Iowa thoughts

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This will be short, as most of my thoughts on that game won't pass the boneyard's obsenity filters.
  1. Iowa started 3 guards, but their 4th guard played more minutes than any of the starters. For much of the night, their back court was 6-6, 6-6 & 6-5 and averaged 205#. I think the size differential there was more a factor than their size up front. Our guards needed more space to shoot, and that resulted in a lot of hurried jumpers. That might help explain 18 of 48 from our 4 guards.
  2. Cobb was our best player last night. 7 of 8 from the floor for 16 points, plus 7 boards (6 offensive!)and a couple steals. I'm sure hoping that this tourney was his coming out party rather than a flash in the pan.
  3. The refs. I can't go without ranting a bit about them. The FT discrepancy was insane. We shot 15. Iowa shot 37! We got 10 points on the line. Iowa got 29. That's a 19 point differential -- coincidentally, the same number of points that we lost by. Rewatching the game was hard, and when I forced myself, I couldn't help but concentrate on the fouls. I counted 11 outrageously bad calls, from the referee being inbounds when the ball hit him and calling it wrong, to a charge on Cobb that was clearly an over the back on their guy (Baer, I think). Of the 11 most atrocious calls, 8 of them favored Iowa.
  4. Bad/biased officiating aside, we were never going to win this game. Take away Cobb's 7 of 8 outlier, and we shot 36%, and their big guards shot over our smaller backcourt at will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This will be short, as most of my thoughts on that game won't pass the boneyard's obsenity filters.
  1. Iowa started 3 guards, but their 4th guard played more minutes than any of the starters. For much of the night, their back court was 6-6, 6-6 & 6-5 and averaged 205#. I think the size differential there was more a factor than their size up front. Our guards needed more space to shoot, and that resulted in a lot of hurried jumpers. That might help explain 18 of 48 from our 4 guards.
  2. Cobb was our best player last night. 7 of 8 from the floor for 16 points, plus 7 boards (8 offensive!)and a couple steals. I'm sure hoping that this tourney was his coming out party rather than a flash in the pan.
  3. The refs. I can't go without ranting a bit about them. The FT discrepancy was insane. We shot 15. Iowa shot 37! We got 10 points on the line. Iowa got 29. That's a 19 point differential -- coincidentally, the same number of points that we lost by. Rewatching the game was hard, and when I forced myself, I couldn't help but concentrate on the fouls. I counted 11 outrageously bad calls, from the referee being inbounds when the ball hit him and calling it wrong, to a charge on Cobb that was clearly an over the back on their guy (Baer, I think). Of the 11 most atrocious calls, 8 of them favored Iowa.
  4. Bad/biased officiating aside, we were never going to win this game. Take away Cobb's 7 of 8 outlier, and we shot 36%, and their big guards shot over our smaller backcourt at will.
I don’t know. If you can’t get into your rhythm because of crap calls, it could be the difference.
CV probably played differently because he was in foul trouble... and some of them weren’t really fouls.

Reaction Score
just to show some impartial ref hatred.. I'm pretty sure after an Iowa basket.. we didn't even bother taking the ball out properly. I may have blinked or something but it looked like we just grabbed the ball, and passed it from inbounds like a pick-up game.. anybody else see that or was that where the bourbon finally kicked in for me?

Reaction Score
I don't know why people don;t want to blame the refs. They were terrible and called everything on our guys. The whistle determined the game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
just to show some impartial ref hatred.. I'm pretty sure after an Iowa basket.. we didn't even bother taking the ball out properly. I may have blinked or something but it looked like we just grabbed the ball, and passed it from inbounds like a pick-up game.. anybody else see that or was that where the bourbon finally kicked in for me?

I forced myself to sit through a rewatch, and I still didn't see it. Then again, from my perspective, almost nobody takes the ball out properly on an uncovered inbound following a make any more. One foot out, pick the other one up as you pass it. That wouldn't fly when I learned the game.

Reaction Score

Only need to get one foot out before a pass back in. Might be what you're thinking of.

Reaction Score
100% agree with #1. I kept thinking all night that the Iowa guards were much bigger than ours. Defensively they altered shots and gave us a hard time getting shot or passing. They were pretty quick for their size.
Watching AG play defense a few times I felt like he really could not do more han irritate the man he was on.

Reaction Score
Definitely happened and Polley was actually looking for the whistle after he realized what he was doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom