Iowa cancels games due to positive Covid tests [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Iowa cancels games due to positive Covid tests [merged thread]

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think normalcy is never going to return completely.
I hate it, but I agree with you. DC is lifting a number of restrictions, adopting the viewpoint that the virus is now endemic, and we just need to get used to it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hate it, but I agree with you. DC is lifting a number of restrictions, adopting the viewpoint that the virus is now endemic, and we just need to get used to it.
This has little to do with DC. It has to more to do with individual state policies. At the University of Iowa students, faculty & staff are “encouraged” to be vaccinated and wear masks at indoor environments. There are no mandates. Compare that to UConn where students, faculty & staff are required to be vaccinated and to wear masks in indoor environments.

The delta variant produces a viral load up to 1200 times greater in infected people than the original Covid virus, and studies have shown that vaccine immunity wanes in all age groups after 6 months, which is one of the reasons why the CDC today authorized booster shots for all adults.

Unfortunately, this pandemic is not done with us yet.

Reaction Score
This has little to do with DC. It has to more to do with individual state policies. At the University of Iowa students, faculty & staff are “encouraged” to be vaccinated and wear masks at indoor environments. There are no mandates. Compare that to UConn where students, faculty & staff are required to be vaccinated and to wear masks in indoor environments.

The delta variant produces a viral load up to 1200 times greater in infected people than the original Covid virus, and studies have shown that vaccine immunity wanes in all age groups after 6 months, which is one of the reasons why the CDC today authorized booster shots for all adults.

Great info. Thanks so much.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The reason why there is such difficulty in stopping the spread in the USA with great doctors, scientists and hospitals is too many people won’t do pretty simple things, minor sacrifices. We have “mandates” these days only because of that resistance. A few months ago, my wife ( a very recent cancer survivor) and I flew cross country so between the airports and the flights we were masked for over 8 straight hours and gee whiz, made it through and we are both now triple Pfizered and survived that too. We’ve been to one zoom COVID death funeral and personally know some pretty young victims within the past 4 months who had relatively mild cases but still had to quarantine. Are there situations where we are being over cautious? Probably. Because the downside is worse. Getting the spread controlled will end any thought of mandates and get us back more to the “old” normal. There really is no good reason where some hospitals are again running out of ICU beds because of COVID. This all sucks but there are actually ways to do better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very disappointing News

“We’re obviously disappointed but understand this is the right decision,” Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said in the news release. “Our team and staff have followed best practices. But unfortunately, a number of individuals experienced symptoms and tested positive.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The reason why there is such difficulty in stopping the spread in the USA with great doctors, scientists and hospitals is too many people won’t do pretty simple things, minor sacrifices. We have “mandates” these days only because of that resistance. A few months ago, my wife ( a very recent cancer survivor) and I flew cross country so between the airports and the flights we were masked for over 8 straight hours and gee whiz, made it through and we are both now triple Pfizered and survived that too. We’ve been to one zoom COVID death funeral and personally know some pretty young victims within the past 4 months who had relatively mild cases but still had to quarantine. Are there situations where we are being over cautious? Probably. Because the downside is worse. Getting the spread controlled will end any thought of mandates and get us back more to the “old” normal. There really is no good reason where some hospitals are again running out of ICU beds because of COVID. This all sucks but there are actually ways to do better.
My wife and I are also “triple vaccinated.” Despite that we reluctantly cancelled our trip to Atlantis for the tournament which we had booked many months ago, primarily because next week we are planning on spending Thanksgiving with our son, his wife and our 2 unvaccinated grandchildren. We also plan to do 2 antigen self tests each before we show up at my son’s house next Thursday.

Some might suggest we are being overly cautious. Maybe so. But at the end of the day, if these steps provide additional protection for the people we love, permitting us to safely spend time with them during the holidays, it’s most definitely worth it.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My wife and I are also “triple vaccinated.” Despite that we reluctantly cancelled our trip to Atlantis for the tournament which we had booked many months ago, primarily because next week we are planning on spending Thanksgiving with our son, his wife and our 2 unvaccinated grandchildren. We also plan to do 2 antigen self tests each before we show up at my son’s house next Thursday.

Some might suggest we are being overly cautious. Maybe so. But at the end of the day, if these steps provide additional protection for the people we love, permitting us to spend time with them during the holidays, it’s most definitely worth it.
Yeah, we’ve had the same issue. That flight we took was to visit my son and family whom we hadn’t seen in person in 20 months. His kids were too young to be vaccinated ( will get shots next week). So indoors there we all wore masks.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we’ve had the same issue. That flight we took was to visit my son and family whom we hadn’t seen in person in 20 months. His kids were too young to be vaccinated ( will get shots next week). So indoors there we all wore masks.
You two speak for so many of us... I wish a very happy and safe Thanksgiving for both the Oldude and Cohenzone families, and everyone else on the Boneyard.

Also triple-vaxxed, I'll be able to share the holiday with family and some dear friends. Unfortunately, two of my best friends refuse to get vaccinated. One said she believes that more people have died from getting vaccinated than have died from Covid. How is it possible that educated, seemingly otherwise intelligent people can be so oblivious? It breaks my heart.

I also wish the best for the Iowa women's team and everyone around them. We don't know how it happened, but we full well know it happens still. I'll look forward to seeing Caitlin and Co. back in action soon.

Reaction Score
I was saddened and appalled at the callous disregard of masking rules at both Gampel and the XL Center. Having to get tested after every UConn game is a total drag, but an absolute necessity until also covering the nose becomes reality among the patrons. I’m also triple vaccinated, but I can still get sick and then consequently pass it on to others. By March 2022, it is likely that over one million Americans will have died from the disease. It is unfathomable that so many still don’t take it seriously.

Reaction Score
This is the new normal

Here in Connecticut, the infection rate is up about 80%. Yesterday over 800 people were diagnosed with Covid. So even with a vaccination rate just over 70%, herd immunity is far away. Europe is telling us that what is befalling them is about to hit us. In Europe, only Spain and Portugal, with population vaccination rates well over 80%, are not seeing major new outbreaks.

Reaction Score
Wishing them well. So, does that mean Iowa has to forfeit? Loss on their record? I know that NCAA football it results in a loss.

Reaction Score
I was saddened and appalled at the callous disregard of masking rules at both Gampel and the XL Center. Having to get tested after every UConn game is a total drag, but an absolute necessity until also covering the nose becomes reality among the patrons. I’m also triple vaccinated, but I can still get sick and then consequently pass it on to others. By March 2022, it is likely that over one million Americans will have died from the disease. It is unfathomable that so many still don’t take it seriously.
Me, too, re the XL Center crowd last Sunday. I felt self-conscious just lowering my mask to wolf down a slice of pizza (which was pretty good, by the way). I saw so many others wandering around either maskless or with their masks around the neck, but not over their mouths and noses.

Reaction Score
Wishing them well. So, does that mean Iowa has to forfeit? Loss on their record? I know that NCAA football it results in a loss.
It will not be a loss per last year's precedent.

Reaction Score
I do know the new Big East Conference rule states it will be a forfeit for men's and women's basketball if one team can not play five players due to Covid. Don't know what other conferences are doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom