Invitees for USA National Team U18 Trials Named | The Boneyard

Invitees for USA National Team U18 Trials Named

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow!!! Clearly the best 36 players in the country. Names we've been hearing and reading about all year. It's going to be difficult to pare the roster down to 12. 24 extremely talented players are not going to make the cut. These trials will be very competitive. I'm praying no one suffers an injury. Regardless of who makes the team, it's also going to be difficult to imagine this team losing any games, given the talent level and experience it will put on the floor.

Reaction Score
Where is Brunelle? Under 17? Why wouldn’t she play up?

Reaction Score
They don't play up normally. The 2019 kids who are trying out for this team have conflicting birth dates with USAB's cut off dates. They are the older kids in their class. For the really talented players that graduate on even years, they get basically four chances to try out for a US team. (After FR- U16, SO-U17, JR-U19, SR-U18, and the U19 after College FR) Breanna Stewart did that.
For players graduating on an odd number they get less chances (unless you're really good like Azzi). After SO-U16, JR-U17/18, SR-U19. Then there's another chance for the U23 team as well.
The players who have conflicting birth dates and that fall on an odd year miss out on the chance to tryout for the U16 team. Megan Walker and Napheesa Collier were both players that could only tryout for the U18 and 19 teams. The 2017 class had a lot of the top players fall under this category (Walker, Westbrook, Cooks, and Carter). So maybe that's a reason why the US16/17 teams got bronze a few years ago.

Reaction Score
She isn't at a level to play up. I am still trying to figure out the fascination this board has with this girl.

Reaction Score
They don't play up normally. The 2019 kids who are trying out for this team have conflicting birth dates with USAB's cut off dates. They are the older kids in their class. For the really talented players that graduate on even years, they get basically four chances to try out for a US team. (After FR- U16, SO-U17, JR-U19, SR-U18, and the U19 after College FR) Breanna Stewart did that.
For players graduating on an odd number they get less chances (unless you're really good like Azzi). After SO-U16, JR-U17/18, SR-U19. Then there's another chance for the U23 team as well.
The players who have conflicting birth dates and that fall on an odd year miss out on the chance to tryout for the U16 team. Megan Walker and Napheesa Collier were both players that could only tryout for the U18 and 19 teams. The 2017 class had a lot of the top players fall under this category (Walker, Westbrook, Cooks, and Carter). So maybe that's a reason why the US16/17 teams got bronze a few years ago.
Thanks for the explanation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She isn't at a level to play up. I am still trying to figure out the fascination this board has with this girl.
"This board" is & has been fascinated with Samantha because she is #1 player in the class. Samantha chose ND, the board's fascination has evolved to something else.

Reaction Score
No Henderson?? No Collier?? Missing the best PG and one of the top forwards in the class. Did they decline invites or just didn’t get one?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
"This board" is & has been fascinated with Samantha because she is #1 player in the class. Samantha chose ND, the board's fascination has evolved to something else.
Coco, Brunelle is the number one ranked player in the class. Is she as good as many people say she is? Does she play well against players who are also highly ranked? I'm asking because I don't know the answer and there are some who post on this board that says she is overrated. Did her level of play drop since last season. I remember reading last year that she is a can't miss, high level player and was a must get for Uconn. What has changed.

Reaction Score
Coco, Brunelle is the number one ranked player in the class. Is she as good as many people say she is? Does she play well against players who are also highly ranked? I'm asking because I don't know the answer and there are some who post on this board that says she is overrated. Did her level of play drop since last season. I remember reading last year that she is a can't miss, high level player and was a must get for . What has changed.
What has changed? She committed to Notre Dame. Those grapes are so sour that her level of play has even dropped retroactively.

Reaction Score
No Henderson?? No Collier?? Missing the best PG and one of the top forwards in the class. Did they decline invites or just didn’t get one?

Who knows?? I'm pretty sure Collier has played internationally before not sure about Henderson.............nobody can accuse Geno of picking his own kids anymore

Reaction Score
Who knows?? I'm pretty sure Collier has played internationally before not sure about Henderson...nobody can accuse Geno of picking his own kids anymore

They both were apart of the u17 team two years ago that won the bronze medal in Italy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, Brunelle is the number one ranked player in the class. Is she as good as many people say she is? Does she play well against players who are also highly ranked? I'm asking because I don't know the answer and there are some who post on this board that says she is overrated. Did her level of play drop since last season. I remember reading last year that she is a can't miss, high level player and was a must get for Uconn. What has changed.
I think the people calling Samantha "over rated" is mostly sour grapes because she chose ND. Before she chose ND there were a few people that fairly questioned her ability to defend on the perimeter (foot speed), the level of HS competition where she was putting up huge numbers and her performance at USA basketball U16 summer of 2017 where she was brought to that team to provide a cornerstone piece and did not play well (shot poorly). The other full piece of the picture is that another player (Haley Jones) in the 2019 class at the SF/Wing position have emerged and is being described a potential transcendent players because of her versatility. Samantha would have been great at UCONN. Since she is not coming, UCONN will have to find equivalent of better talent. Equivalent of better talent is still available in the class of 2019 IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They both were apart of the u17 team two years ago that won the bronze medal in Italy.

This is the point where you want to check birth certificates not just class. I believe the age cutoff for FIBA is UNDER the age as of January 1st in the year the competition is being played. For most US kids the class cut off is based on age as of September 1st.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the point where you want to check birth certificates not just class. I believe the age cutoff for FIBA is UNDER the age as of January 1st in the year the competition is being played. For most US kids the class cut off is based on age as of September 1st.

You might be right as I didn’t take age into consideration. Not sure when Collier is expected to be 19, but I’ve had several conversations from Henderson about the trials and she expected to receive an invite so I’m not really sure.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Neither Collier nor Henderson are eligible. The cut off is a DOB on or after 1/1/2000. Collier's DOB is 9/22/1999 and Henderson's is 2/2/1999.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there are some sour grapes about Samantha’s decision. But there are some who questioned a couple of aspects of her game before and others who have looked more critically since then. Some mediocre or poor performances with her AAU team and Team USA, as well as being slowed down by a freshman who called her surprisingly easy to defend in the Virginia quarterfinals, make her seem unlike a typical #1 recruit. She’s obviously good, but I’m in the camp who thinks she MAY be overrated. IF she is overrated, what’s a more accurate ranking: 2, 5, 10, 15??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You might be right as I didn’t take age into consideration. Not sure when Collier is expected to be 19, but I’ve had several conversations from Henderson about the trials and she expected to receive an invite so I’m not really sure.

Strange that she thought she is eligible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She’s obviously good, but I’m in the camp who thinks she MAY be overrated. IF she is overrated, what’s a more accurate ranking: 2, 5, 10, 15??
At Samantha's position (W/F) in the 2019 class she is 3rd or 4th behind (Haley Jones, Laeticia Amihere and Rickea Jackson?). Overall in the class only Jordan Horston could push her below 3 or 4. Plenty of basketball left to be played before final rankings however.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Henderson is 18.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom