Interview with Rebecca | The Boneyard

Interview with Rebecca

Reaction Score
I think the first part of that interview should be required listening for any high school player considering UCONN. It would probably weed some of the wheat from the chaff, and let the remaining kernels know exactly what to expect, and why.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm living very much in the moment and I'm of an age when I don't want to fast forward anything. Having said that, Rebecca's discussion of what next year's team may be, not that it is anything new, but wow that may be surreal! She also made the very good point that Kara, who threw the 200 out there during the SC contest, has intimate knowledge of both Z and Batouly, having been in the broadcast booth for many games of theirs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm living very much in the moment and I'm of an age when I don't want to fast forward anything. Having said that, Rebecca's discussion of what next year's team may be, not that it is anything new, but wow that may be surreal! She also made the very good point that Kara, who threw the 200 out there during the SC contest, has intimate knowledge of both Z and Batouly, having been in the broadcast booth for many games of theirs.

The perception of Uconn's women's basketball team next year by Kara Lawson and other informed pundits of WCBB as being an embarrassment of riches, and even more formidable than this year's, has already begun to make its way around the country. That w-i-d-e chasm that Lawson spoke of at last year's final four between UConn and the rest of WCBB, should return. As other programs begin to lay the foundations and team goals of their program's 2017-2018 campaign, UConn will again the be bell cow of WCBB.

Next year should be a return to glory for the Huskies. A return that some will say never left, especially if they go on to win this year's national title. As much fun as this year's team has been to watch, next year's team should prove to be even more. Why? The expectations will be much greater.

Teams on UConn's schedule will be concerned, and with good reason. Pre-conference games with an average margin of victory of 20-35 points may not be a far reach.
Of the 13 Pre-conference games, at least 7 (maybe more - they still have 1 more game to schedule) will be teams in the top 25. Those not on their schedule won't concern themselves with UConn, unless their paths cross in the post season tournament. The thinking there would be "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

If the Huskies come together and perform as planned, the song UConn Nation will be signing with vigor and enthusiasm is "Happy days are here again". This just may be the best team Geno has had at UConn top to bottom. Not only should they be the consensus favorite to win the national championship, they should also be favored to continue the current win streak if it is not breeched this season. The only draw back to UConn's return to dominance, is having to hear all the crying and whining (and gnashing of teeth) from the haters about how there's no parity in WCBB, because UConn has no peer. Oh well. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
the song UConn Nation will be signing with vigor and enthusiasm is "Happy days are here again"

I hope not. Why? Because, no matter where our season goes from here, this group of Huskies has given us a great ride while displaying everything fine about who the huskies are. The Happy Days have never left and will not for true Husky fans no matter the results from here on out. This team has my heart.

Reaction Score
I don't think next year will be as enjoyable for me as this year has been. I like the fact that this season is more of a challenge and that this team has exceeded all expectations. IMO it won't be as exciting to watch a team that will be expected to clobber everyone they face.

Reaction Score
I agree with all, esp. Rocky, that this moment needs to be savored for all it's worth--whatever the final result. What a great, great bunch of kids.

And I hope that when we contemplate next year's undeniably astonishing team, we focus not on the winning streak but on the winning--which is to say, how the team plays. That's the beauty of UConn--that they play the finest basketball in the world. Winning just because you've got the best players, well, you might as watch the NBA. We watch UConn because of how they plan and therefore how they win.

Reaction Score
Always like to hear Rebecca's take on things, and the interviewers were really good. They knew what they were talking about, and they let her answer the questions without interrupting or talking over her, which far too many interviewers do.

Reaction Score
I don't think next year will be as enjoyable for me as this year has been. I like the fact that this season is more of a challenge and that this team has exceeded all expectations. IMO it won't be as exciting to watch a team that will be expected to clobber everyone they face.

Each year is different. Each player- the style. Everyone has their own preferences.

I don't know until I see it how enjoyable it will be -- but I get just as pumped watching a team step on antoher's throat and the other team just "breaks."

For next year I'm reminded of the movie Secretariat when Eddie Sweet yells out that Secretariat ate her food and that everyone should be prepared "that they are going to see something they've never seen before!" That was the greatest racehorse of all-time.

We are witnesses of a type of dynasty that may never ever be seen again. Next year we may see something of the likes that we have never seen before.

The players at times have talked about how the score doesn't matter - they strive to play an unachievable perfection. for example ddi you ever see Bill Walton's near perfect game at UCLA when they played Memphis in the finals? He was 21-22 from the floor in which I believe Wooden said afterward that UCLA ran "every single option" from their offense known as the "UCLA Offense."

I am not disagreeing with you just offering another pov.

Reaction Score
Hesitant to mention it, but Rebecca seemed to have a positive make over for the SC game. Her hair in particular looked great. Professional and attractive.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Each year is different. Each player- the style. Everyone has their own preferences.

I don't know until I see it how enjoyable it will be -- but I get just as pumped watching a team step on another's throat and the other team just "breaks."

For next year I'm reminded of the movie Secretariat when Eddie Sweet yells out that Secretariat ate her food and that everyone should be prepared "that they are going to see something they've never seen before!" That was the greatest racehorse of all-time.

We are witnesses of a type of dynasty that may never ever be seen again. Next year we may see something of the likes that we have never seen before.

The players at times have talked about how the score doesn't matter - they strive to play an unachievable perfection. for example did you ever see Bill Walton's near perfect game at UCLA when they played Memphis in the finals? He was 21-22 from the floor in which I believe Wooden said afterward that UCLA ran "every single option" from their offense known as the "UCLA Offense."

I am not disagreeing with you just offering another pov.

I think the essence of what I was trying to say was lost in the translation. You captured it. Each team is different, and brings a different dynamic to their particular season, because the roster has changed from the previous year. Same game, different faces. The winning streak is a product of their play. If they continue to win, the streak will continue. My focus was not on the streak itself. Like it or not, it is a by-product of winning, and must be acknowledged. Like any other UConn fan, I'm also concerned about how they play.

That is core of UConn basketball. The expectations of this year's team was lower than that of the previous year's team simply because of the roster. It's been well documented who was graduated, we don't need to belabor the point. We were not sure how they would fare going into the BIG games on their pre-conference schedule. Many of us were equally concerned (nervous), and stated so in writing. How many of us let out a big sigh of relief after winning a BIG game? I did. One poster wrote after the South Carolina game that that was the first time since the FSU game, that he has been able to relax, breathe a sigh of relief, and not worry about any upcoming UConn games for a while. Others may not agree. I'm writing this from my perspective.

Our collective hearts were in our throats before the Baylor, Texas, Notre Dame, Maryland & South Carolina games because we were not sure of the outcome before hand. The last 3 years we were.
Each BIG game was a "check point", up to that point in the season. A barometer if you will, to measure our progress against a formidable elite team. Next year, should be like the last 3, that's all I was trying to say. We had a certain expectation of the UConn teams the last 3 years.

Folks that know WCBB say that next year's UConn team is supposed to be better than this year's team, one similar to last year's. This summer, a large number of posters were predicting a loss or two for this team. I doubt any of those same posters will predict any losses for next year's team. Again, that was the crux of my post. I think next year's team will be fun to watch for many different reasons. Next year's team will no doubt execute the same way this year's team does, and embrace the same ideals and philosophy that UConn teams before them have. But the expectations of THAT team will be different; because the roster/talent will be different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom