International "style" | The Boneyard

International "style"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been watching the USA team and listening to the comments. It is mentioned how much more physical the international game is and how much more contact is allowed. I can see this.

There has been a lot of talk about making the women's game at college, WNBA and International level more uniform. My concern is that I don't really care for the more physical style of international play. To me, the women's game highlights the below-the-rim teamwork aspects of basketball. I enjoy a more open, running, less pushing-shoving kind of game. (I prefer less contact than the WNBA allows!)

Do you see the game evolving to be more physical at the college level too?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've been watching the USA team and listening to the comments. It is mentioned how much more physical the international game is and how much more contact is allowed. I can see this.

There has been a lot of talk about making the women's game at college, WNBA and International level more uniform. My concern is that I don't really care for the more physical style of international play. To me, the women's game highlights the below-the-rim teamwork aspects of basketball. I enjoy a more open, running, less pushing-shoving kind of game. (I prefer less contact than the WNBA allows!)

Do you see the game evolving to be more physical at the college level too?
What I think I like about international play is that they are very tight on hands and arms so any reaching and grabbing and contact away from the torso is called, but the offensive player jumping into the defensive player is generally ignored or when egregious is called as a charge. With a wider lane even with more body contact permitted there is more room to move through the lane and with better outside shooting more defenders need to follow offensive players outside to contest jump shots even from centers.
I do think it is a little too physical with a little too much body contact allowed, but with the above benefits I think it is better overall. An adjustment to call body contact a little more closely would improve it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The international style is very physical inside, but it includes stellar 3-point shooting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom