Intermediate shots - take them instead of 3s | The Boneyard

Intermediate shots - take them instead of 3s

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1549295460151.png

Reaction Score
Not sure if you took this into account. We're really talking apples and oranges. A 3 point shot is worth 3 and a 2 point shot is worth 2. So, if player A shoots 10 2-point shots and makes 5, that's 10 points and a 50% shooting percentage. Player B shoots 10 3-point shots and makes 3, that's 9 points and a 30% shooting percentage. Player B trails by 1 point and has a much worse shooting percentage. Long story short, it truly does pay to shoot 3's, especially with skilled players. I think the first coach to truly figure that out was Coach K.
Game strategy is much more complex than that, but there's the raw #'s showing a distinct point advantage for taking 3's rather than 2's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually not really but sort of then maybe. UCONN is shooting slightly more form 3Pt range this year than last 34% vs 31%. The team's shooting numbers are down from last year overall but the mid range shooting is also down (4%) vs down (5%) from 3pt range. Those missed bunnies at the basket is what is really killing us because they are so many more of those. In Azura and Gabby last year UCONN had a pair of players that shot over 60% from the floor and another player Napheesa who shot 58% all three of those players were not significant contributors to the 3 point totals for UCONN.
Also not as easy as it sounds unless you want to revamp the UCONN offense mid stream. Philosophically the offense is dependent on moving the ball side to side and spacing. That means less dribbling. This next part might sound harsh:UCONN doesn't have a team full of people that you want dribbling to create their own shot either.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you took this into account. We're really talking apples and oranges. A 3 point shot is worth 3 and a 2 point shot is worth 2. So, if player A shoots 10 2-point shots and makes 5, that's 10 points and a 50% shooting percentage. Player B shoots 10 3-point shots and makes 3, that's 9 points and a 30% shooting percentage. Player B trails by 1 point and has a much worse shooting percentage. Long story short, it truly does pay to shoot 3's, especially with skilled players. I think the first coach to truly figure that out was Coach K.
Game strategy is much more complex than that, but there's the raw #'s showing a distinct point advantage for taking 3's rather than 2's.

It is definitely apples-to-oranges, but nearly as simple as adjusting the 3-point FG pct to reflect its greater value. Players draw far more fouls shooting 2-pointers, especially when they take the ball into the paint. That not only generates foul shots but also produces two other benefits: (a) helps get your team into the bonus; and (b) get opponents into foul trouble, which may put them on the bench or help them to foul out.

Reaction Score
It is definitely apples-to-oranges, but nearly as simple as adjusting the 3-point FG pct to reflect its greater value. Players draw far more fouls shooting 2-pointers, especially when they take the ball into the paint. That not only generates foul shots but also produces two other benefits: (a) helps get your team into the bonus; and (b) get opponents into foul trouble, which may put them on the bench or help them to foul out.
As I said in my response, "the strategy is more complex than just the percentage values".
I played the game with no 3-point line. Another factor in the discussion is what I call "risk-reward", a golf term. If I try to cut the corner of a dogleg, the strategy has a risk and an appropriate reward if you pull it off. If there is no risk, or a less than appropriate risk, the game's integrity is skewed. I don't think the 3-point shot has enough risk. In fact it may even have other advantages too such as long rebounds for the offense.
In summation, if you have skilled players and you are not shooting a lot of 3's, then you're dumb. The absolute ideal is to penetrate the defense and reap the benefits of that such as easy hoops and free throws and spot up for 3's if the defense reacts.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not sure if you took this into account. We're really talking apples and oranges. A 3 point shot is worth 3 and a 2 point shot is worth 2.

Yep. So with this UCONN team whose defense is not the best UCONN teams have had to offer and more misses with threes gives their opponents more opportunities for transition buckets and just more shots in general. I am sticking with go intermediate with group of players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom