Interesting Tweet From Andy Katz | The Boneyard

Interesting Tweet From Andy Katz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
katz_normal.jpg

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Best thing would be for big east to still add mem temple to beef up hoops Lou will always be in play for big 12 if it expands, uconn for acc
8 minutes ago

»

katz_normal.jpg

ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Still don't see the appeal for football only for Boise and afa to big east if Boise goes then hoops program takes major step back
12 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/ESPNAndyKatz

He has a point. Pretend, hypothetically of course, that the Big 12 goes to 12 sometime before their new tv contract is up, and miraculously UConn is #16 in the ACC with ND (or #15 with Rutgers #16). If that occurred, the Big East would be depleted in hoops. No Pitt, Syracuse, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, WVU in 2014.

Reaction Score
I think Boise should ask for and be granted full membership. I think football only is only viable for Navy, Air Force, and Army. Everyone else needs to benefit from the Big East basketball brand in order to build the overall athletic departments of their respective schools.

Reaction Score
If BSU played all sports, travel would be a major issue.

Reaction Score
If BSU played all sports, travel would be a major issue.

Travel is going to be an issue with this new Big East if it works out regardless. There will be more western members added eventually and it will have a national footprint unless it doesn't work out.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Travel is going to be an issue with this new Big East if it works out regardless. There will be more western members added eventually and it will have a national footprint unless it doesn't work out.

There is a huge difference between UConn sending out the football team to Boise once every 3 years vs sending out every single sport to Boise at least every other year.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between UConn sending out the football team to Boise once every 3 years vs sending out every single sport to Boise at least every other year.

That's why you would have either divisions or pods where you would pretty be on that same once every three year schedule for all BE sports.

Reaction Score
Andy Katz is an idiot if he doesn't understand why Boise State would be interested in playing in a BCS bid league that they'd dominate. how would this hurt their basketball? is the big west or big sky or whatever they end up in really that different from MWC in bball? certainly not enough to counteract the BCS bid's attractiveness

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, football only is a logical first step for Boise if they are amenable to it. But a few years down the line if we end up with BYU and Nevada or San Diego St. or something in the league in addition to SMU and Houston it would probably make sense to bring all of those schools entire athletic departments into the conference and figure out a way to make it work.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, football only is a logical first step for Boise if they are amenable to it. But a few years down the line if we end up with BYU and Nevada or San Diego St. or something in the league in addition to SMU and Houston it would probably make sense to bring all of those schools entire athletic departments into the conference and figure out a way to make it work.

Those schools you mention would be possible replacements for when UConn leaves. They can take whoever the heck they want at that point...what the heck do we care?!

Reaction Score
in reality Boise state probably has to board a plane to most of their games regardless of what league they're in. there's not too much of a difference between a 2 hour and 3-4 hour plane ride

Reaction Score
Those schools you mention would be possible replacements for when UConn leaves. They can take whoever the heck they want at that point...what the heck do we care?!

That's wishful thinking. I'm thinking about the reality we currently are in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Boise, Air Force and Navy don't want to be in the Big East for basketball.

Reaction Score
Travel is not an issue for anyone. In a 12 or 14 team league you have east west divisions. The east does not have to travel to the west every year. at most it's every 4 or 6 years depending on the nuber of games the want to play outside of the division but within the conference. On the Basketball\soccer side of things. the East never need play the west until the conference tourney becasue there are so many teams. The Travel thing is a Myth. Boise has to fly to every game anyways whether its to Houston, Cincy or Los Angeles really makes no difference. AS far as hurting basketball I have no clue what katz is talking about Boise has no bearing on basketball since they are Football only. is he talking about hurting the Bosie Basketball? DO they have basketball?

Reaction Score
Andy Katz is an idiot if he doesn't understand why Boise State would be interested in playing in a BCS bid league that they'd dominate. how would this hurt their basketball?

I think he's talking about Big East BB being weakened, not Boise State's basketball being weakened. The theory being that BS leaves, the football conference doesn’t have the BCS, Louisville and UConn leave, and the BB schools are left with SMU, UCF, amd Houston. So Big East BB is weakened.

Reaction Score
Those 3 will be very respectable in bball by then. The Big East improves lesser schools when they join. Houston will be good.

Reaction Score
Andy Katz is an idiot if he doesn't understand why Boise State would be interested in playing in a BCS bid league that they'd dominate. how would this hurt their basketball? is the big west or big sky or whatever they end up in really that different from MWC in bball? certainly not enough to counteract the BCS bid's attractiveness

I think he's talking about Big East BB being weakened, not Boise State's basketball being weakened. The theory being that BS leaves, the football conference doesn’t have the BCS, Louisville and UConn leave, and the BB schools are left with SMU, UCF, and Houston. So Big East BB is weakened. When he says that he doesn't see the appeal of BS amd football only, he means he doesn't see their appeal to the Big East, because if they leave, Big East BB is weakened.

Goes back to this story:
http://news.providencejournal.com/s...lds-key-to-big-easts-future.html#.TqwBC_c4-l1

Reaction Score
If the BE does anything that weakens BB more than the recent losses have already then the ACC has won. The BE simply can not afford to slip in the one area where it shines.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If there isn't some succession plan in place, contingent on what happens if UL and/or UConn and/or Cincy and/or Rutgers leave as all sports members and/or ND leaves as a non-football member, the leadership of all involved (the conference and every individual member) should be taken to a firing squad for sheer stupidity.

Reaction Score
Between Desmond Conner's comments about UConn yesterday, President Herbst's comments through the last 6 weeks, Andy Katz' continual references of UConn and the ACC, the comments of the Florida State president, as well as the numerous other commentators and publications, UConn seems to be fully on track for an eventual ACC invite.

Herbst promised to rebuild the Big East. She has done this. Political heat is now turned away from the ACC "killing the Big East." The teams in the Big East can now afford for UConn to leave. The next domino falls very shortly.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Between Desmond Conner's comments about UConn yesterday, President Herbst's comments through the last 6 weeks, Andy Katz' continual references of UConn and the ACC, the comments of the Florida State president, as well as the numerous other commentators and publications, UConn seems to be fully on track for an eventual ACC invite.

Herbst promised to rebuild the Big East. She has done this. Political heat is now turned away from the ACC "killing the Big East." The teams in the Big East can now afford for UConn to leave. The next domino falls very shortly.

I haven't seen anything close to imminent. I believe UConn and Notre Dame will probably go to the ACC together, but this might not happen for a while (though possibly by next April, so UConn can join with Pitt and Syracuse).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Being that I've been without power for a few days, I missed Dez's comments. What did he say?

Reaction Score
I think he's talking about Big East BB being weakened, not Boise State's basketball being weakened. The theory being that BS leaves, the football conference doesn’t have the BCS, Louisville and UConn leave, and the BB schools are left with SMU, UCF, amd Houston. So Big East BB is weakened.

when he said he didn't see the attraction i assumed he meant for them not the BE. in that case it's that without them we're probably out of a BCS bid.

Reaction Score
i don't know what Dez said, but i can't imagine he has any knowledge of us going to the ACC other than a guess which is no better than any of ours. to be honest i doubt Herbst does right now either.

Reaction Score
Being that I've been without power for a few days, I missed Dez's comments. What did he say?

11:02
Comment From OTR (on the road)
hard to think about next week when there may not be a next yr 4 the big east

11:04
Desmond:
UConn will be fine if there's no Big East. i know you don't believe that. Not going to try to convince folks either, but the word is out there on UConn and it's future. And I believe the Governor even made a statement about it.

11:15
Comment From Mike
More news coming out that the big 12 is expanding again with l'ville making it 11 and ND in all sports except football. If this happens what reason does the acc have to expand further? Looking more and more like UConn could be left without a seat

11:18
Desmond:
You'll have to ask the ACC but I think this, as a UConn supporter, that's right in line with what most believe will land UConn in the ACC. If ND stays independent in football and its olympic sports go Big 12 that paves the way for Rutgers and UConn. If ND goes ACC then it's ND and UConn. That's my story and I'm sticking with it Mike. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but right now I don't think I am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom