Interesting suggestion from the ECU AD | The Boneyard

Interesting suggestion from the ECU AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-big-east-tv-plan-could-help-court-byu-others

The plan's principles:
  • The negotiation of a five-year extension to the remaining one year on the media rights deal with ESPN.
  • All schools would have the right to either negotiate separate TV money for their own home games or be part of broader membership negotiations.
  • Schools would remain full-time conference members with either selection unless they'd prefer a football-only designation or decided to leave.
  • It would resolve the stability issue “since all coalition members will assign their media rights to the Big East for the full six years” and that members would have a better feel for their collective worth as a conference after four years of a six-year deal.
I like to see UCONN explore this idea if it is not too late.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, if the money is so small, this is the way it has to be. The conference solves the scheduling problem but it doesn't sell the media rights, teams do that on their own. If the conference is unstable and UConn is the most valuable property, UConn has to take charge of its media rights.

Reaction Score
Yes, if the money is so small, this is the way it has to be. The conference solves the scheduling problem but it doesn't sell the media rights, teams do that on their own. If the conference is unstable and UConn is the most valuable property, UConn has to take charge of its media rights.
+1

Reaction Score
Well, things are still up in the air after today's meeting. Hopefully, our representatives realize there may be better alternatives and voice it.

Reaction Score
Well, things are still up in the air after today's meeting. Hopefully, our representatives realize there may be better alternatives and voice it.
Things have been hush hush today. Anyone know the latest?

Reaction Score
Things have been hush hush today. Anyone know the latest?

Nothing has been agreed upon. The best source will probably be jerseyguy if anything comes out tonight.

Reaction Score
  1. Jeff Jacobs@jacobscourant
  2. Friday afternoon, Herbst said, "I was very pleased with the meeting. We have very complex technical issues that take time to resolve."
  1. Email exchange with UConn prez Susan Herbst Thurs. night gave me serious pause that Big East thing was over. Lots of details to be argued.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think this might be true, but we're talking about an email in December, and since then a TV contract was negotiated that did not feature this (as far as I know, admittedly I'm intentionally not fully diving into all this crap).

Reaction Score
What do you know? I'm not even an AD and this is very similar to an idea I proposed and was told was impossible. Maybe it is, but this guy is above my pay-grade (albeit only slightly, this is ECU here) but he seems to think allowing some schools to retain their media rights would be a good idea and allowing others to pool theirs would be fine as well, depending on what would be best for the particular institution.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think this might be true, but we're talking about an email in December, and since then a TV contract was negotiated that did not feature this (as far as I know, admittedly I'm intentionally not fully diving into all this crap).
Agreed, but its been almost a week, and no official word on the contract yet. Hopefully this was discussed at length today. Why UCONN wouldn't push this is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Aresco also said that the Big East was in play for the Orange Bowl.

The guy has no credibility whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104