Interesting Stats from first two games: | The Boneyard

Interesting Stats from first two games:

Reaction Score
Obviously not that much of a sample size this far into the season. For people who like to look at the statistical side of things:

Offensively:
- 30.6% from 3. Good for 211th best in the nation. Obviously not our strong suit.

- 50% from two. 154th in the nation, much better than 2017 and more or less in line with 2015 & 2015.

- 83.3% from the foul line. 14th best in the nation. However we are only 136th in the nation in Free Throws
attempted vs. Field Goals attempted, which means we need to find a way to get to the line more often.

- 252nd in assists to field goals made. This is a systematic issue (i.e., coaching) as we routinely rank low in this category. Too much Iso/hero ball, not enough ball movement and easy baskets.

- 21st in block %. Granted we're playing smaller teams but our guards are doing a great job of driving and not getting their shots blocked by the bigs.

- 197th in turnover %. We're not taking care of the ball. Likely has to do with a lot of new pieces working together as Ollie's teams are generally very good at this.

- 288th in average possession length. I'm not sure this fits with our game style. We're pressing, creating turnovers, and then subsequently holding onto the ball for a long time. Seems strange to me.

Defensively:
- 68th in turnover %. We're turning teams over at a high rate likely due to our full court press. In 16/17 we were 312th, 15/16 we were 172, and 14/15 we were 252. So this is fantastic improvement.

- 139th in effective field goal %. This is a pretty bad deterioration as we've ranked no lower than 27th over the last 3 years. Teams are getting too easy of looks at the basket against us.

- 50th in block % - I was surprised to see us this high. We've ranked top 15 the last 3 years due to Amida, I'll be interested if we stay this high come the tougher part of our schedule.

- 77th in offense rebounding % allowed - Good improvement here as we've been no higher than 140th over the last 3 years. This means we're grabbing a lot of defensive boards and doing a good job boxing out. Again, I'll be interested to see if this changes come the tougher part of our schedule.

- 47% of our opponents points come from the 3 ball. This is 14th most in the country. Maybe its a combination of being good against penetration (our guards and wings are very good and denying penetration off the dribble), while subsequently hedging too much on defensive drives and allowing open 3's.

- 39.3% of opponents points come from 2. Ranked 301st (pretty similar with the last two years). We do a good job of denying penetration leading to this statistic. The major difference between the last two years and this year is we don't have Amida protecting the paint which makes it pretty impressive. This also may mean our 3pt defense is just not good so teams are looking to exploit us their rather than inside. We've also played small teams so far this year which is a contributing factor as well.

- Teams are shooting 32.2% from three against us. If it looks like teams are making a lot of 3's, it's because they're taking a lot of them. they aren't hitting at a high clip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love the post. And on the assists to field goals... this kills me, especially with us playing three guard lineups.

The guards could feed the bigs much more than they do. It was true when Miller was our best player in 2015-16, and remains true now that we have bigs who can score again. Instead of settling for contest jumpers, it would be nice to see our bigs get higher percentage looks close to the basket.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Its been 2 freaking games. But the original post overall is solid. If Jalen played game 1 then those % s would look so much better.

Reaction Score
Love the post. And on the assists to field goals... this kills me, especially with us playing three guard lineups.

The guards could feed the bigs much more than they do. It was true when Miller was our best player in 2015-16, and remains true now that we have bigs who can score again. Instead of settling for contest jumpers, it would be nice to see our bigs get higher percentage looks close to the basket.
I think a lot of this has to do with not having a primary ball handler/distributor. Right now we have Gilbert, Adams and Anderson playing on the ball at different junctures and no one really seems to have the defined role
of ball handler/leader/distributor.

Reaction Score
Holy Moly! It's only been 2 games so far. However, I do appreciate the effort. Thanks for the info. Please update as the season continues.

Reaction Score
Couple of points...

- 252nd in assists to field goals made. This is a systematic issue (i.e., coaching) as we routinely rank low in this category. Too much Iso/hero ball, not enough ball movement and easy baskets.

This is not an issue, per se, especially without context. It is a stylistic offensive choice. Now coupled with a low efficiency, especially in iso situations... then you have a problem. But again, what is that problem? The offensive system still could work, but might not have adequate personnel. Either way, you'd expect changes from something that wasn't working, but the key is efficiency.

- 197th in turnover %. We're not taking care of the ball. Likely has to do with a lot of new pieces working together as Ollie's teams are generally very good at this.

Very good is a bit strong. We're 126th on average in Ollie's tenure, which for a team that should be a high major is underwhelming, if acceptable. We were poor last year, as well, and the brunt of this falls on Jalen, as he's used the most possessions on the team the last 2 years. Our bigs this year are committing turnovers comically often, but that will level out as the year goes on.. but probably just to often, instead of comically so. Young, inexperienced bigs, can't expect much else.

- 288th in average possession length. I'm not sure this fits with our game style. We're pressing, creating turnovers, and then subsequently holding onto the ball for a long time. Seems strange to me.

Sometimes this is noisy from things like "How often do you get zoned relative to the rest of the country." Have to pair it with transition points per possession to get a better feel.

- 47% of our opponents points come from the 3 ball. This is 14th most in the country. Maybe its a combination of being good against penetration (our guards and wings are very good and denying penetration off the dribble), while subsequently hedging too much on defensive drives and allowing open 3's.

- 39.3% of opponents points come from 2. Ranked 301st (pretty similar with the last two years). We do a good job of denying penetration leading to this statistic. The major difference between the last two years and this year is we don't have Amida protecting the paint which makes it pretty impressive. This also may mean our 3pt defense is just not good so teams are looking to exploit us their rather than inside. We've also played small teams so far this year which is a contributing factor as well.

Other than playing zones or gimmicky defenses, the opponent's offense has much more control over shot selection than the defense does. Over a small sample, I wouldn't analyze it too strongly. For example, last year, Stony Brook was prolific at 3pA, and this year they moved their stretch 4 to center, so they have a starting lineup with all 5 players haven taken at least 7 3-pointers in only 2 games (and their PF has taken 17!). Colgate is also a prolific 3PA team.

- Teams are shooting 32.2% from three against us. If it looks like teams are making a lot of 3's, it's because they're taking a lot of them. they aren't hitting at a high clip.

Neither team was a great 3pt% team last year. We'll wait for more data on this one.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Agreed. No need to have so much perimeter shooting and iso up top. Feed the big men and let the big dogs eat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom