Interesting Read about BE in NY Post this morning | The Boneyard

Interesting Read about BE in NY Post this morning

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1548871010090.png

Haha, headline and picture.

Reaction Score
I know some of you may not want to hear this, but the AAC has more upside in basketball than the Big East. Villanova has carried the perception of the BE for the last few years, but ex-Nova, the Old Big East schools have not done that well.

We would all want to play the Old Big East teams in basketball, but most of the teams have moved on and the New Big East is not the same conference.

Here's a question for you. How many schools from the Big East have made it to the Sweet 16 in the past 10 years? Four: Villanova, Marquette, Xavier, and Butler. Only one of the traditional rivals.

When was the last time Georgetown made it to a Sweet 16? 2007. Seton Hall? 2000. St. John's? 1999. Providence? 1997.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know some of you may not want to hear this, but the AAC has more upside in basketball than the Big East. Villanova has carried the perception of the BE for the last few years, but ex-Nova, the Old Big East schools have not done that well.

We would all want to play the Old Big East teams in basketball, but most of the teams have moved on and the New Big East is not the same conference.

Here's a question for you. How many schools from the Big East have made it to the Sweet 16 in the past 10 years? Four: Villanova, Marquette, Xavier, and Butler. Only one of the traditional rivals.

When was the last time Georgetown made it to a Sweet 16? 2007. Seton Hall? 2000. St. John's? 1999. Providence? 1997.

And no team playing in the AAC has made the Sweet 16 since we won the title in 2014.

The Big East is a better basketball league. There' no point in debating it.

UConn can be a successful program in the AAC. It is just a worse league, with less exciting programs and cache. Arguing otherwise just makes you look like a fool.

And I say this as someone who wants to play out the string in the AAC until were forced to do otherwise.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score

and AAC teams are going to the Sweet Sixteen regularly??

Reaction Score
Did any of you even bother to read the article?
Yeah, deceiving title especially since it is from the view of covering the odds in betting. LOL!

Even with their cloudy metrics they have 10 teams that have a chance of making the tournery. Cutoff is 77 for being on the bubble. Villanova 83, Marquette 81, Butler 80, Creighton 79, St. John’s 79, Seton Hall 77, Xavier 76, Providence 76, Georgetown 75, DePaul 74.

Reaction Score

It's a dieing conference.

Reaction Score
And no team playing in the AAC has made the Sweet 16 since we won the title in 2014.

The Big East is a better basketball league. There' no point in debating it.

UConn can be a successful program in the AAC. It is just a worse league, with less exciting programs and cache. Arguing otherwise just makes you look like a fool.

And I say this as someone who wants to play out the string in the AAC until were forced to do otherwise.
Wichita St. in 2015.

My point is that the old rivals in the BE are not doing well, except Villanova. The AAC has been down due to UConn and Memphis and I think both schools are turning the corner.

Here are the average current basketball recruiting rankings for the top 9 schools (BE only has 9 schools with recruits right now) in the Big East and AAC:

Big East: 65.1
AAC: 63.6

I really do think the schools in the AAC are investing more in basketball than they were previously in both coaching and facilities. I don't see growth potential in the Big East, but I do in the AAC. If Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville rejoined the BE, I would say, let's go BE. Unfortunately, that is not happening.

Reaction Score
One last point. In the past 10 years, both the BE and AAC have had 6 teams that have been in the final annual Coaches Poll:

Big East: Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, and Georgetown

AAC: Cincinnati, Houston, Wichita St., SMU, UConn, and Memphis

When UConn and Memphis rebound, so will the AAC and the perception of the AAC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wichita St. in 2015.

My point is that the old rivals in the BE are not doing well, except Villanova. The AAC has been down due to UConn and Memphis and I think both schools are turning the corner.

Here are the average current basketball recruiting rankings for the top 9 schools (BE only has 9 schools with recruits right now) in the Big East and AAC:

Big East: 65.1
AAC: 63.6

I really do think the schools in the AAC are investing more in basketball than they were previously in both coaching and facilities. I don't see growth potential in the Big East, but I do in the AAC. If Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville rejoined the BE, I would say, let's go BE. Unfortunately, that is not happening.

Wichita State was in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2015.

Also, St. John's was ranked this year, Ewing has Georgetown headed in the right direction, Seton Hall has been a tourney team under Willard in recent years, and PC has been a tournament team under Cooley. Seems like they are doing ok.

And the problem is you can't ignore the bottom 3 teams in the AAC, because they are so dreadful it brings the entire league down. USF, ECU, and Tulane are just dreadful and can't be ignored.

UConn can win in the AAC - it just will be harder and less exciting than with the advantages the Big East has.

Reaction Score
I wonder if it would be possible to combine the AAC and Big East into a basketball as well as other non-football sports 'superconference'? It strikes me that you'd have the potential for clear-cut geographic divisions (North/South) with really competitive schools in both. Probably boost TV rights as well as open recruiting territories for all the schools involved.

The Big East doesn't have any FBS football schools so that wouldn't seem to be an impediment.

Reaction Score
Wichita State was in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2015.

Also, St. John's was ranked this year, Ewing has Georgetown headed in the right direction, Seton Hall has been a tourney team under Willard in recent years, and PC has been a tournament team under Cooley. Seems like they are doing ok.

And the problem is you can't ignore the bottom 3 teams in the AAC, because they are so dreadful it brings the entire league down. USF, ECU, and Tulane are just dreadful and can't be ignored.

UConn can win in the AAC - it just will be harder and less exciting than with the advantages the Big East has.

Let's look at the original BE teams, ex Nova:

St.John's: Mullin is 53-65 (15-47 in BE) in 4 seasons.

Georgetown: Ewing is 28-22 (8-17 in BE) in 2 seasons.

Seton Hall: Willard is 150-114 (62-82 in BE) in 8 seasons.

Providence: Cooley is 159-101 (67-66 in BE) in 8 seasons.

The four coaches have never had their team ranked at the end of the season and, in total, the 4 coaches have one Round of 32 finish in the NCAAs. Their won/loss record in the BE is 152-212 (0.417). Yes, PC and Seton Hall have gotten into the NCAA Tournament, but just barely.

I would agree that ECU and Tulane are a problem, but USF is on the rise. Brian Gregory is a real basketball coach and he has USF at 14-6 and 4-4 in the AAC and 81 in the NET rankings in his 2nd year. (UConn is 78 in NET.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom