OT: - interesting points from an article about NFL viewership | The Boneyard

OT: interesting points from an article about NFL viewership

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There was an article on my Yahoo news thingy I get every day about the decreasing NFL viewership, which has been discussed here before. In fact, one point speaks to "all" sports.

While everything is a factor, including political matters and concussions, what seemed to be driving a lot of the decrease, based on statistics, was, in no particular order:

- drop off in viewers for teams that normally do well, but are not - Giants being an example (not the only one).
- a complete lack of fans watching the Chargers in particular and a significant drop off for the LA Rams, as well
- and, not surprising but very well phrased - a large drop-off in the younger demographic that has been "raised to follow teams, not necessarily watch them".

This last, which we have discussed in a different form regarding drop-off of ESPN viewers, is really scary. The article affirms that so many younger fans would rather follow games on mobile devices and watch highlights than watch the whole game. How this also impacts "fannies in the seats" (even for WBB) is also a concern, I think.

I didn't link the article, as a lot of it was political.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Another complicating factor is the difficulty in measuring mobile device/web media usage. Still, it’s readily appearent that there are more media choices than ever before, and that audience attention spans are very, very short. Fractured and inattentive audiences don’t typically yield higher profits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom