Interesting interview with Sue Bird | The Boneyard

Interesting interview with Sue Bird

Reaction Score
For everyone questioning Geno, please listen to this interview. In one segment, Sue lays it out very clearly what makes Geno different, and how he works to develop players.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I hope it is o.k. to post this interesting interview with Sue Bird. Lots of stuff on UCONN.

Thanks for posting. Good nuggets and insights from her UCONN days, almost leaving Seattle and playing overseas.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Really one of the best extended interviews I have ever heard.

For a while, I thought they may not get to Paige but they do at the 52'+ mark.

Q: What do you think of Paige?
A: She is that next generational player that we have all been waiting for (since Stewie)

last few years, there really has not been one (maybe Arike with the scoring ??)

Then gives props for the class (but mainly thinking Caitlin) who the interviewer guys knew.

Then turns into allowing players to enter the draft whenever they want. (No NIL though which is surprising but maybe taped to early?)

Host's Really knowledgeable about the Women' game.

Reaction Score
Oracle9, you're welcome. I thought her discussion of how Auriemma motivates each player according to their persoality was quite interesting. I wonder if times have changed, though, since 20 years ago..

Reaction Score
Oracle9, you're welcome. I thought her discussion of how Auriemma motivates each player according to their persoality was quite interesting. I wonder if times have changed, though, since 20 years ago..
Times are always changing. If you want to survive in any walk of life, you have to constantly reinvent yourself.

Reaction Score
For everyone questioning Geno, please listen to this interview. In one segment, Sue lays it out very clearly what makes Geno different, and how he works to develop players.
Pretty sure a lot of coaches, I know of a few, that follows Geno coaching methods and how he develops his players. He has an open practice mindset.

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
This was a great interview, I had fun listening. They covered just about every part of Sue's career. It's so nice to hear players interviewed by people who know and appreciate their game

Reaction Score
But he still is extremely successful, right? He is still getting great recruiting classes and getting to Final Fours. That shows that his methods are still working, right?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought one of Sue's comments about Geno, in response to a question about what distinguishes him as a coach, was quite interesting. This is almost a direct quote: "I kid him all the time, it's not his X's and O's -- those are just OK. It's his ability to connect to each player based on what will motivate her."

That isn't what I expected to hear from her, especially the "just OK" part. But it may reflect the fact that at this point in her career, Sue believes that she knows more about the X's and O's of basketball than Geno does -- and she may be right about that.

I see a lot of Geno in Sue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought one of Sue's comments about Geno, in response to a question about what distinguishes him as a coach, was quite interesting. This is almost a direct quote: "I kid him all the time, it's not his X's and O's -- those are just OK. It's his ability to connect to each player based on what will motivate her."

That isn't what I expected to hear from her, especially the "just OK" part. But it may reflect the fact that at this point in her career, Sue believes that she knows more about the X's and O's of basketball than Geno does -- and she may be right about that.

I see a lot of Geno in Sue.
As you pointed out, " I kid him all the time" so 'okay' is meant more as a tweak than an average assessment but also, it can be interpreted as "x's and o's are somewhat universal. All good coaches see that strategy somewhat similar" What set Geno apart was the connecting with the players and I would add, the desire within practice to perfect their execution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom