Interesting Development in Ollie's Attitude | The Boneyard

Interesting Development in Ollie's Attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I noticed something strange in Ollie's attitude throughout the second half. At one point, a little over half way through the half, he called a timeout after a horrendous sequence and was cursing and yelling just about as angry as I've ever seen him. Keep in mind this is still while things were running relatively smoothly.

Fast forward to the last few minutes as the lead has almost completely evaporated and the game is in a downward spiral. Ollie is extremely calm, supportive and positive throughout the rest of the game. I remember thinking "Wow, if Calhoun were here he would have killed someone by now." This attitude continued through when he finally put Jalen back in.

Do you think he realized his coaching mistakes in the second half and blamed himself rather than the players? Weird to see him so upset then so calm when things started going horribly. I think he is finally understanding his own mistakes.

Reaction Score
I noticed something strange in Ollie's attitude throughout the second half. At one point, a little over half way through the half, he called a timeout after a horrendous sequence and was cursing and yelling just about as angry as I've ever seen him. Keep in mind this is still while things were running relatively smoothly.

Fast forward to the last few minutes as the lead has almost completely evaporated and the game is in a downward spiral. Ollie is extremely calm, supportive and positive throughout the rest of the game. I remember thinking "Wow, if Calhoun were here he would have killed someone by now." This attitude continued through when he finally put Jalen back in.

Do you think he realized his coaching mistakes in the second half and blamed himself rather than the players? Weird to see him so upset then so calm when things started going horribly. I think he is finally understanding his own mistakes.
I think he has NO clue.....none. When it happens this consistently, it's on the coach. Think of all the crazy shots that Bazz hit in crunch time. That was a player making plays.....without someone like that the last two years, Ollie's in game "coaching" has been badly exposed.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I did notice this. I don't remember ever seeing him that pissed off before. He looked really mad. Maybe it even freaked him out. I was kind of glad to see it. Anger at times is very appropriate. It can really make a point and motivate some individuals. I also remember back years ago when no matter how mad JC got in the Dyson team years it seemed to not really make a lot of difference. Wonder if it is a cultural thing today, where people cannot or will not respond to it positively.

Reaction Score

So I'm a teacher and if I catch myself really laying into a kid you bet your ass I'm probably nicer than ever to that kid the rest of class. Mainly out of fear he'll tell his parents and I'll have to deal with that crapstorm and less out of concern for his own feelings. I mean we all know Gibbs' dad is a bit of a diva but does he get in KO'S ear?

Reaction Score
I think he has NO clue.....none. When it happens this consistently, it's on the coach. Think of all the crazy shots that Bazz hit in crunch time. That was a player making plays.....without someone like that the last two years, Ollie's in game "coaching" has been badly exposed.

Crappy offensive sets/execution can be mitigated when you have the most talented player on the court just about every game. Bazz and Boat were both supremely talented/skill players who could get their shot any time they wanted. They were also quite good at hitting very difficult shots. We have no one on this team who is even close to be as skilled as they are. The Gibbs one-on-five debacles at the end of possessions are what Bazz and Boat succeeded at. You'd think at some point KO would realize that Gibbs cannot do that. We're 25 games in and we still make the same mistakes. That's on KO.

C

Chief00

I did notice this. I don't remember ever seeing him that pissed off before. He looked really mad. Maybe it even freaked him out. I was kind of glad to see it. Anger at times is very appropriate. It can really make a point and motivate some individuals. I also remember back years ago when no matter how mad JC got in the Dyson team years it seemed to not really make a lot of difference. Wonder if it is a cultural thing today, where people cannot or will not respond to it positively.
Interesting theory - let me think about it.

Reaction Score
Great points. It sounds obvious but, to win championships, you need either superior talent or superior coaching or, preferrably, both. When we had lost to SMU in the past, I figured Ollie got out coached. Given the coach, there is no shame in that. Plus, SMU has decent talent as well. But Temple does not have superior talent so Ollie is getting out coached there as well. Not good. To overcome that, the talent level needs to be higher, such as it was in 2014.

I am not delusional to think Calhoun recruited like the squid or coach k does nor do I think Ollie can. Calhoun got the occasional super recruit and combined those nuggets with very high potential recruits in the same range as the ones Ollie has been getting. Ollie needs to get some golden nuggets or he needs to do a better job working with the ones he is getting. Or, both. At the college level it always comes back to the coach.

Reaction Score
Crappy offensive sets/execution can be mitigated when you have the most talented player on the court just about every game. Bazz and Boat were both supremely talented/skill players who could get their shot any time they wanted. They were also quite good at hitting very difficult shots. We have no one on this team who is even close to be as skilled as they are. The Gibbs one-on-five debacles at the end of possessions are what Bazz and Boat succeeded at. You'd think at some point KO would realize that Gibbs cannot do that. We're 25 games in and we still make the same mistakes. That's on KO.
By definition, KO seems to be ok with Gibbs pounding the ball for 25-30 seconds and not even getting a shot off in late game situations. Because it's happened about 25 times this year and he's done NOTHING about it.

Reaction Score
At the end of the game, Temple took away Miller. They decided they would not let Miller get the ball.

That's when Ollie needs to come up with plan B. Either find a way to get Miller the ball, or use the focus on Miller to get someone else a good shot. Run a play for him or use him as a decoy. Pick one but don't spend the whole shot clock waiting for a window to get him the ball and losing track of the shot clock.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
KO is in desperation mode. He can't get the team to play the way they're capable of and he can't coach a game the way he thinks he's capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom