Interesting data from SI on college football viewership | The Boneyard

Interesting data from SI on college football viewership

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Austin Karp from Sports Business Daily took a look at the viewership from the 2017 College Football season. While many of the networks saw a decline, it was because there were so many games in each the slot (usually three) and that he thinks there was "some sort of record" for the most minutes watched this year.

Quick pulls from the article:
  • Basically, the Big10's move to Fox has hurt ESPN to a certain extent. ABC, ESPN, CBS and NBC's ratings were down while Fox and FS1's ratings were up.
  • The SEC was way too top heavy and CBS can't show Alabama every week. With Florida and Tennessee down this year, it hurt CBS' ratings (they were still the highest rated "package").
  • ESPN was by far the most watch channel and their ratings were brought down by the sheer amount of games
  • The Big10 and SEC dominated the top 5 most watched games with only Alabama vs FSU the only game with a team not in the Big10 or SEC
  • Alabama and OSU were part of 4 top 15 games, Michigan and Auburn had 3, Georgia and Oklahoma had 2 while #1 Clemson had no top 15 games.
  • This did not include streaming or games on any college conference network.
  • UCF and their great year went pretty much unnoticed ratings wise.
My thoughts:
  • It's clear why ESPN and Fox paid so much for the Big10, they are watched (at least Michigan and OSU are) and the SEC still dominates the ratings even in a top heavy year.
  • Why Clemson wasn't watched more is beyond me. They are fun to watch.
  • I guess it really is about names and not performance.
  • Oklahoma needs to be out of the Big12.

Link

Reaction Score
The list changes somewhat from year to year....

in 2014...of the Top 10 Most Watched Games

...FSU played in four of them....Alabama in five.

The 10 Most Watched College Football Games of 2014
In 2015....of the Top 10 Most Watched Games

...Ohio State played in three...Alabama in three...Clemson in two

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Austin Karp from Sports Business Daily took a look at the viewership from the 2017 College Football season. While many of the networks saw a decline, it was because there were so many games in each the slot (usually three) and that he thinks there was "some sort of record" for the most minutes watched this year.

Quick pulls from the article:
  • Basically, the Big10's move to Fox has hurt ESPN to a certain extent. ABC, ESPN, CBS and NBC's ratings were down while Fox and FS1's ratings were up.
  • The SEC was way too top heavy and CBS can't show Alabama every week. With Florida and Tennessee down this year, it hurt CBS' ratings (they were still the highest rated "package").
  • ESPN was by far the most watch channel and their ratings were brought down by the sheer amount of games
  • The Big10 and SEC dominated the top 5 most watched games with only Alabama vs FSU the only game with a team not in the Big10 or SEC
  • Alabama and OSU were part of 4 top 15 games, Michigan and Auburn had 3, Georgia and Oklahoma had 2 while #1 Clemson had no top 15 games.
  • This did not include streaming or games on any college conference network.
  • UCF and their great year went pretty much unnoticed ratings wise.
My thoughts:
  • It's clear why ESPN and Fox paid so much for the Big10, they are watched (at least Michigan and OSU are) and the SEC still dominates the ratings even in a top heavy year.
  • Why Clemson wasn't watched more is beyond me. They are fun to watch.
  • I guess it really is about names and not performance.
  • Oklahoma needs to be out of the Big12.

Link

It's a bit skewed. FS1 is up, because it was at rock bottom. It still did terribly.

The B1G still does well, because people actually live in its footprint. Clemson is hurt by the opposite. USCe probably has an equal or greater following in the state, and it's not a big state. Plus the ACC was down this year due to a bad FSU team. The Pac has the same problem. USC-Notre Dame probably does well, but the west coast has only 16% of the population, and mountain time zone 7%. Given that they play late games, nobody watches them.

Reaction Score
Texas should be a hot name soon. ND to the Big Ten?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Can't believe the Civil ConFLiCT didn't generate more buzz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member