Interesting commentary from DeLeone on N. Williams and M Nebrich | The Boneyard

Interesting commentary from DeLeone on N. Williams and M Nebrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the thought was that Nebrich was not ready, it still baffles my mind why they through him in there in the first 3 or 4 games and burned his RS. The time Nebrich saw the field was not garbage time. He played meaningful snaps in every game.

Frankly, I'm a bit perplexed by DeLeone's answers to both Williams & Nebrich.

Reaction Score
Look, they got it wrong on Nebrich but I don't understand what people are struggling with. They thought that he was going to win the job by the start of conference play, and were trying to help that along, but then he didn't develope as they thought he would during practices. I don't know what you want them to say -- they're not going to say "we're disappointed" in a young man who is a true freshman.

As to Nick Williams, read between the lines. They are saying that they are not idiots -- they see him returning kicks and want to get him the ball in the open field more -- but that he's not necessarily a good enough receiver at getting off the line, running precise routes and cathcing the ball where getting him the ball with room to run against anyone other than Buffalo is easy,.

Maybe they're wrong but I don't understand why you'd be perplexed.

Reaction Score
Read the answers again. When youcut through the coachspeak, Williams is a talented returner who they want to use more on offense but he needs to be more precise in things like route running. Bottom line on Nebrich, he's a true freshman and needs work. there is a huge step between high school and BCS 1A football. He is making progress but simply isn't ready yet. End of story.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was one Johny Mac mistake in the 3rd quarter of the Syracuse game from being under center. He was warming up at the start of the second half as if he was getting ready to go. Little doubt in my mind that McKentee was on a very short leash to start the second half of that game.

That said, I am sure that as a true frosh Nebrich has much to learn. That they are laying to offenses on him makes it all the harder and I continue to wonder if Deleone doesn't make the whole thing much more complicated than it needs to be. But, what do I know.

Reaction Score
Nebrich should not be running the pro style offense, he should be running the McCummings offense when he goes on the field. That is a coaching mistake not Nebrich's. Imagine how good the McCummings package could look if he could pass the ball.

Reaction Score
I had heard Nebrich wasn't deemed physically strong enough to run the "McCummings offense"--yet.

Reaction Score
Look, they got it wrong on Nebrich but I don't understand what people are struggling with. They thought that he was going to win the job by the start of conference play, and were trying to help that along, but then he didn't develope as they thought he would during practices. I don't know what you want them to say -- they're not going to say "we're disappointed" in a young man who is a true freshman.

As to Nick Williams, read between the lines. They are saying that they are not idiots -- they see him returning kicks and want to get him the ball in the open field more -- but that he's not necessarily a good enough receiver at getting off the line, running precise routes and cathcing the ball where getting him the ball with room to run against anyone other than Buffalo is easy,.

Maybe they're wrong but I don't understand why you'd be perplexed.
I concur with every word in this post.

Reaction Score
Bubble screen to Nick, throw can't be high but the route isn't very complicated. He can be the guy running the drag routes or the short stop/buttonhook type routes. He is used to starting from a stop as he is a returner so this should be a natural for him.

Reaction Score
I've made a point of watching Nick Williams on the snaps he's in, and the kid just doesn't get open. Now, maybe there are different sorts of plays and alignments that might help this to happen. But right now, the coaches/Nick just haven't discovered those ways yet.

As a side note, I think this is the 3rd or 4th time a coach has committed to getting Williams more involved. I won't hold my breath this time, either.

Reaction Score
Read the answers again. When youcut through the coachspeak, Williams is a talented returner who they want to use more on offense but he needs to be more precise in things like route running. Bottom line on Nebrich, he's a true freshman and needs work. there is a huge step between high school and BCS 1A football. He is making progress but simply isn't ready yet. End of story.
Needs work on what??? His passing ability and running ability is light years ahead of McEntee, he doesn't fall down in the pocket when defenders get within 2 feet of him, and as far as scrambling ability is concerned, he makes McEntee look like Stephen Hawking. Even giving some slight credence with what Deleone says, Nebrich should be getting more PT, I'm still stumped on this whole matter.

Reaction Score
Prior to reading DeLeone's comments I was critical of the way the coaching staff was using the quarterbacks.
I think the explanation of why Nebrich is not the starting quarterback makes sense. He has great skills, but it takes time to learn a complex new system and to adjust to the speed of play at the BCS level. The fact that he has been chosen as the back-up quarterback demonstrates that the coaching staff has great confidence in him and think highly of his skills and potential.
I also think their handling of McCummings is spot on. They are bring him on slowly and letting him do what he is currently good at.
In the future I hope I will have the humility to leave the decisions to the coaches who work with these player every day. :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Prior to reading DeLeone's comments I was critical of the way the coaching staff was using the quarterbacks.
I think the explanation of why Nebrich is not the starting quarterback makes sense. He has great skills, but it takes time to learn a complex new system and to adjust to the speed of play at the BCS level. The fact that he has been chosen as the back-up quarterback demonstrates that the coaching staff has great confidence in him and think highly of his skills and potential.
I also think their handling of McCummings is spot on. They are bring him on slowly and letting him do what he is currently good at.
In the future I hope I will have the humility to leave the decisions to the coaches who work with these player every day. :)

It's not just that. There is a huge mental lapse most of the posters criticizing the use of Nebrich are conveniently forgetting or minimalizing. Going in to the season none of our QB's had started a game at QB and the coaches had zero game film to go off of to determine the starter. They needed to see each of them on film as a part of the overall evaluation.

Also, the coaches didn't want to have him sitting as the third string and then need him halfway through the season due to injury or performance by either of the Mc's. For me, personally, if either Mc got hurt halfway through the Louisville game, I'm much more comfortable with Nebrich as the back up knowing he's seen live action already this year.

If McEntee and McCummings continue to improve and stay healthy, in hindsight we can all say it was a bad personnel move to burn the redshirt. None of us had that advantage in August or September.

As for Nick W. I'm with the group that says, screw pattern running. The coaches should have found ways to get him the ball every game. Kid is a gamer and makes plays. The team isn't overloaded with those types of players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am in favor, barely, of starting McEntee now, and fully expect Nebrich to take the job by the end of camp next year.

Reaction Score
I don't get why people are upset with Nebrich losing a redshirt this year. He can redshirt next year if he doesn't win the job. If he does win the job, the experience he got this year had to have helped. And he still has next year and two more beyond that. So what he didn't sit this year? You guys been paying attention to our QB situation? There's no guarantee he'll be here, healthy, or the best QB on the roster in 3 years anyway.

Reaction Score
It's not just that. There is a huge mental lapse most of the posters criticizing the use of Nebrich are conveniently forgetting or minimalizing. Going in to the season none of our QB's had started a game at QB and the coaches had zero game film to go off of to determine the starter. They needed to see each of them on film as a part of the overall evaluation.

Also, the coaches didn't want to have him sitting as the third string and then need him halfway through the season due to injury or performance by either of the Mc's. For me, personally, if either Mc got hurt halfway through the Louisville game, I'm much more comfortable with Nebrich as the back up knowing he's seen live action already this year.

If McEntee and McCummings continue to improve and stay healthy, in hindsight we can all say it was a bad personnel move to burn the redshirt. None of us had that advantage in August or September.

As for Nick W. I'm with the group that says, screw pattern running. The coaches should have found ways to get him the ball every game. Kid is a gamer and makes plays. The team isn't overloaded with those types of players.
I agree with all of this but the last paragraph.

If the kid can't run routes right to get open, then how do you get him the ball? Other than an end around or reverse? If he can't get separation, you risk interceptions. 50% is on the coaches, 50% is on NW, the coaches have to find a way to get him opportunities, and when he gets them, he has to get open.

Reaction Score
On Williams, I'd like to see him in a bunch/triplets formation. Typically the defense has to play off of this formation and the players get a free release. They are picked up a little ways down field and there are openings in the short areas near the line and with in a few yards left or right of the formation. Also, this formation seems to create some confusion at times for the defense due to communication and/or coverage errors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get why people are upset with Nebrich losing a redshirt this year. He can redshirt next year if he doesn't win the job. If he does win the job, the experience he got this year had to have helped. And he still has next year and two more beyond that. So what he didn't sit this year? You guys been paying attention to our QB situation? There's no guarantee he'll be here, healthy, or the best QB on the roster in 3 years anyway.

Agreed. And half the 5th year seniors don't come back anyway. No reason to save the redshirt if there is a chance he can help this year.

Reaction Score
Experience? Where? When? I think the coaching staff has made a critical error this year in giving him no experience, except maybe for wearing headphones.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Experience? Where? When? I think the coaching staff has made a critical error this year in giving him no experience, except maybe for wearing headphones.

I'm making an assumption here but I would have to think that a player who knows they are never getting into a game (i.e. knows they are redshirting) does not prepare or practice with the same level of dedication and intensity as one who thinks they could be in the game on any given play if the person in front of them gets hurt. That's why I think Nebrich's experience in practice and limited snaps in games will be very helpful for him. I also agree with others who say that a redshirt could still come down the road from injury or otherwise so not using it in his freshman year isn't the end of the world.

Reaction Score

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/plyr_2.html

Did you decide to sit out the first half of the season?

The kid didn't win the job, we all (almost all) wanted him to, but he didn't. He got some snaps early on so that if JM goes down, he won't be thrown in without any game action.

You decided to ignore the rest of the post that pointed out why his redshirt wasn't wasted this year.

Reaction Score
Being that this thread is partially about Nickie Williams, I am surprised Palatine hasn't chimed in. I can't help but wonder if DeLeone's comment might have been the thing that finally gives him a heart attack over it. Anybody able to check on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom