Interesting Commentary by ND’s Swarbick on Independence/Conference affiliation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Commentary by ND’s Swarbick on Independence/Conference affiliation

Reaction Score
An exit fee is just an estimation of liquidated damages due to a breach of contract....selling future media rights is a contracted sale of rights.

One can opine that they don't "see see it", but until someone wins a contested case that allows them out of the GOR contract...it is a huge, huge deterrent.

Reaction Score
An exit fee is just an estimation of liquidated damages due to a breach of contract....selling future media rights is a contracted sale of rights.

One can opine that they don't "see see it", but until someone wins a contested case that allows them out of the GOR contract...it is a huge, huge deterrent.
All I'm saying is let's say WVU decides that being a member of the Big 12 is just too much of a hardship for its students. It wants to walk away. A court would have to say sorry WVU. You can go play in the newly created Big Atlantic Conference but Texas is going to keep your revenue. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
WVU's GOR is up before the 2025 season...
All I'm saying is let's say WVU decides that being a member of the Big 12 is just too much of a hardship for its students. It wants to walk away. A court would have to say sorry WVU. You can go play in the newly created Big Atlantic Conference but Texas is going to keep your revenue. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not Texas, but the Big 12, would still own WVU's rights. You don't have to believe it since your belief carries no weight....that the schools do is what is important.

They signed their rights to the conference....

The Big 12's GOR is up before the beginning of the 2025 season (June 2025)....If WVU wants out, all they need to do is not re-up..

Notre Dame is on the hook for a decade longer.

UConn would still be in the AAC next year if there was a long term GOR in place instead of a exit fee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame's agreement with the ACC is different. I think the ND GOR includes all sports excluding most ND football games as NBC pays ND for their home football games even the ACC games played at ND. The ACC gets no cash from NBC. In 2017, ND received about 20% to 25% of the conference payout that the other ACC schools did.

Obviously, the "commitment" to join the ACC if they join a conference is an issue for ND to join another conference, but I think ND would join the ACC if they had to join a conference. Why? The ACC is currently the weakest football conference in the P5 and the schedule would be manageable to get to 10+ wins per year. The Big 10 would be more difficult.

Reaction Score
The ACC "owns", until 2036...all Notre Dame football games that are not their NBC owned home games....

If the Irish want to cede their non home football rights, basketball rights, and all other media rights to the ACC...they could leave.

Notre Dame's winning percentage against the ACC since joining is about the same as their winning percentage vs the Big Ten....the conference that has given the Irish the most trouble (winning percentage wise) since 2012 is the PAC.

Reaction Score
The ACC "owns", until 2036...all Notre Dame football games that are not their NBC owned home games....

If the Irish want to cede their non home football rights, basketball rights, and all other media rights to the ACC...they could leave.

Notre Dame's winning percentage against the ACC since joining is about the same as their winning percentage vs the Big Ten....the conference that has given the Irish the most trouble (winning percentage wise) since 2012 is the PAC.
We ain't going anywhere. We're happy with our choice. If we join in full it will be the ACC and everything else is fantasy.

Reaction Score
We ain't going anywhere. We're happy with our choice. If we join in full it will be the ACC and everything else is fantasy.
Seriously. ND fans must be ecstatic with their team's results this year, 10-2 with losses to Michigan and Georgia. Reward: The Camping World Bowl!

Reaction Score
Seriously. ND fans must be ecstatic with their team's results this year, 10-2 with losses to Michigan and Georgia. Reward: The Camping World Bowl!

Nope. But I do not understand what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Reaction Score
Nope. But I do not understand what that has to do with the topic at hand.
His point is, if Notre Dame was in the ACC they would have been in major bowl at 10-2. The topic at hand is conference affiliation vs. independence.

Reaction Score
I think if ND does join the ACC, it is likely that Cincinnati will likely be added as well. Since Cinci joined the BE back when, their athletic programs have overtaken UConn by a mile as we have witnessed in recent history. They absolutely crushed BC in their bowl game and would likely be admitted to the ACC in a heartbeat should ND need a plus one.

Reaction Score
I think if ND does join the ACC, it is likely that Cincinnati will likely be added as well. Since Cinci joined the BE back when, their athletic programs have overtaken UConn by a mile as we have witnessed in recent history. They absolutely crushed BC in their bowl game and would likely be admitted to the ACC in a heartbeat should ND need a plus one.

The ACC is not adding ND or Cincy

Reaction Score
ND stays Indy as long as they have the TV deal.
The CFP will only add teams over time, providing only more access to ND.
non-playoff Bowls are less meaningful in the CFP era. Camping World Bowl is fine. They are TV exhibitions.

ND has a done a good job getting a one foot in deal with the ACC, as they had with the Big East. They get all of the benefits they want from the ACC without a full football commitment. It's perfect for ND.

I don't think Cincy has any real chance at the ACC, but never say never. Louisville.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not adding ND or Cincy
They would add ND if ND wanted it without doubt. I do believe Cincy would be the plus one now IF SUCH WERE TO OCCUR. I used think UConn would have been next to be called up, but now not so much.

Reaction Score
They would add ND if ND wanted it without doubt. I do believe Cincy would be the plus one now IF SUCH WERE TO OCCUR. I used think UConn would have been next to be called up, but now not so much.

They’d just add ND and be done with it and stay at 15 full members.

they would have no interest in UC; they’ve already added a commuter school along the Ohio River and that hasn’t gone so well.

Reaction Score
Louisville is ranked in men's and women's basketball. Football went to a bowl game again. They also do well in baseball, among others. I think the ACC is very happy with them.

Reaction Score
Louisville is current Top 10 AP in men's and women's basketball....

And 2000 preseason #1 in Baseball News Top 25.....

Last year made Final Four in 2019 CWS....

They are doing OK

Reaction Score
They won't join the B1G until they are forced to either via economics or via playoff access. The Irish totally [fornicated] the OBE, and thus UConn, but you have to admire the way that they have positioned and branded themselves over the year.

The Irish leaving the Big East was as irrelevant as irrelevant can be. Nor were they one of the movers in others leaving.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Irish leaving the Big East was as irrelevant as irrelevant can be. Nor were they one of the movers in others leaving.
The Irish sided with the Catholic 7. They had no need of, or interest in, an all sport conference and acted accordingly. That said, their leaving the BE was the trigger for the C7 leaving if I recall correctly.

Reaction Score
The Irish sided with the Catholic 7. They had no need of, or interest in, an all sport conference and acted accordingly. That said, their leaving the BE was the trigger for the C7 leaving if I recall correctly.

No. The Catholics said after Pitt, Syracuse and WVU left that they were gone if either UConn or Louisville left. Louisville left. They were gone. In fact, the Catholics weren't thrilled that Notre Dame wouldn't come with them.

As far as ND voted with the schools that didn't play Big East football -- well, duh. We brought them into the conference knowing they were not going to play Big East football? You're made at them for voting in their own self-interests that we knew they had when we admitted them? Please.

CL82

Reaction Score
No. The Catholics said after Pitt, Syracuse and WVU left that they were gone if either UConn or Louisville left. Louisville left. They were gone. In fact, the Catholics weren't thrilled that Notre Dame wouldn't come with them.

As far as ND voted with the schools that didn't play Big East football -- well, duh. We brought them into the conference knowing they were not going to play Big East football? You're made at them for voting in their own self-interests that we knew they had when we admitted them? Please.
Is acknowledging that there interests diverged from the bulk of the conference the same as being mad at them? Because it seems like they are different things, right? In any event, as noted in my post, I appreciate their positioning and branding. It has been done very intelligently.

In any event, ND announced it's move in Sept. 2012. That led to the C7 announcing their move in Dec. 2012, not vice versa.
1579023355241.png

Reaction Score
Is acknowledging that there interests diverged from the bulk of the conference the same as being mad at them? Because that seems like they are different. In any event, as noted in my post, I appreciate their positioning and branding. It has been done very intelligently.

In any event, ND announced it's move in Sept. 2012. That led to the C7 announcing their move in Dec. 2012, not vice versa.
View attachment 49925

That illustrates my point. It was the L'Ville defection that caused them to leave. They publicly stated they would split if either UConn or LV left. ND was irrelevant to the equation. ND basketball is not a big deal, either to quality or marketing.

CL82

Reaction Score
That illustrates my point. It was the L'Ville defection that caused them to leave. They publicly stated they would split if either UConn or LV left. ND was irrelevant to the equation. ND basketball is not a big deal, either to quality or marketing.
Meh, disagree. Clearly though the C7 would not have expected ND to join them after it had already announced it's departure to ACC, right? It doesn't matter to me enough to keep posting on it though.

Reaction Score
The Big East basketball schools and football schools had separate interests long before the C7 breakaway...

The C7 BE formation was really the end game of a 20 year struggle between the non football side of the conference and the football side.

Reaction Score
The ACC has lost its identity in their expansions. For basketball purists the BE is a better home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom