OT: - Interesting bit of trivia - What's in a name? | The Boneyard

OT: Interesting bit of trivia - What's in a name?

Reaction Score
So, I am a bit of a history nerd. I was reading the Wikipedia article on the Byzantine Empire. There was an incident in 532 AD referred to as the "Nika Revolt" that resulted in half of Constantinople being burned. The chant of those participating in the revolt was "Nika" which is translated to the modern words "win", "victory", or "conquer" all of which seem very apropos for the name of the Huskies' point guard! ;):)

Reaction Score
So, I am a bit of a history nerd. I was reading the Wikipedia article on the Byzantine Empire. There was an incident in 532 AD referred to as the "Nika Revolt" that resulted in half of Constantinople being burned. The chant of those participating in the revolt was "Nika" which is translated to the modern words "win", "victory", or "conquer" all of which seem very apropos for the name of the Huskies' point guard! ;):)
Great piece of trivia. thanks

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Makes sense. The goddess Nike was the personification of victory. Neat bit of trivia.

sun

Reaction Score
Which by the way is derived from "old Greek" and is translated as meaning "gift from God." The western European version of the name is Dorothy.
The Greek name Dorcas from the Bible translates to "female Gazelle" in English.
Some refer to another meaning of Dorcas as "gracious."
The Bible translation of Dorcas to Aramaic is Tabitha.
In the TV show Bewitched, Samantha's daughter was named Tabitha and that's an English language show.
St. Tabitha is the name of a saint in the Catholic & Greek Orthodox Churches which refers to the same exact women named Dorcas & Tabitha from the Bible.
There's several posts about it in this thread,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Greek name Dorcas from the Bible translates to "female Gazelle" in English.
Some refer to another meaning of Dorcas as "gracious."
The Bible translation of Dorcas to Aramaic is Tabitha.
In the TV show Bewitched, Samantha's daughter was named Tabitha and that's an English language show.
St. Tabitha is the name of a saint in the Catholic & Greek Orthodox Churches which refers to the same exact women named Dorcas & Tabitha from the Bible.
There's several posts about it in this thread,

Stephen King's wife's name is Tabitha! Pretty spooky these threads!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thanks! Now I know why many times I have typed Nike instead of Nika. :D Can't go wrong essentially the same thing!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom