Interesting article on UConn recruiting on Marquette's SBNation site | The Boneyard

Interesting article on UConn recruiting on Marquette's SBNation site

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think this is an interesting read.

Some points from the article:
"I’ll say it again for dramatic effect: Once Connecticut was no longer in the conference, Providence and Seton Hall embarked on the longest run of sustained success in each program’s history. "

"Connecticut (recruiting classes)
Before (7 seasons prior to leaving BE):
22.8 average class ranking, 12 top 100 guys
After (7 seasons in AAC): 53.7 average, 8 top 100 guys

As was the case with their on the court performance, things have dropped off for Connecticut while they were in the AAC. It’s not unreasonable to think that part of UConn’s problems have been the fact that they were not recruiting quite as well as they used to recruit. It’s also worth nothing that thanks to Dan Hurley landing two top 100 recruits in his first full recruiting class, UConn was ranked #18 for the Class of 2019. That regime change is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting for the Huskies to make those After numbers look a lot better than they actually were.

Okay, onwards to the accused. Remember: All three teams below showed an on-court improvement with UConn out of the Big East.

Providence
Before:
115 average, 4 top 100 guys
After: 49 average, 8 top 100 guys

Seton Hall
Before:
151.6 average (with no recruiting class in 2012), no top 100 guys
After: 65.8 average, 4 top 100 guys

St. John’s
Before:
99 average, 7 top 100 guys
After: 69.7 average, 3 top 100 guys"

UConn Has Returned To The Big East, And They Want Their Recruits Back

Reaction Score
Someone help me though with recruits lost to Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall.

Myles Powell is the one that pops to mind.

& don't say MAL to Providence or Sid to St. John's.

Who are the others that might have been lost to these schools because of the AAC?

Reaction Score
Someone help me though with recruits lost to Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall.

Myles Powell is the one that pops to mind.

& don't say MAL to Providence or Sid to St. John's.

Who are the others that might have been lost to these schools because of the AAC?
AJ Reeves is the big one that comes to mind with Providence. David Duke was also in that class though I'm not sure we were in as good a spot with him. SJU and Seton Hall weren't anyone other than Powell

Reaction Score
"If this trend holds, if it turns out that Providence and Seton Hall were in fact running at their peaks in program history because they benefited from the Huskies not being around...... well, I don’t know about you, but then I’m very happy to see Connecticut back in the fold today. College basketball is more fun when Connecticut is good, and I’m more than happy to return Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John’s to the rubbish heap that they came from in order to make that happen.
Welcome back, Connecticut. Go forth and set the world on fire."

https://the-boneyard.com/javascript:void(0)

Reaction Score
kris dunn to providence...kinda

can't quite remember the situation but don't think we had a scholarship and that was even before drummond also joined. weird recruitment though because KO just had to call the kid and he woulda signed with the good guys

Reaction Score

can't quite remember the situation but don't think we had a scholarship and that was even before drummond also joined. weird recruitment though because KO just had to call the kid and he woulda signed with the good guys

Butthat wasn't a BE/AAC situation

C

Chief00

True, Dre ultimately didn’t take a scholarship. As I recall Bradley kept his. Wasn’t Dunn the following year? I believe he went back to New London after Dre left WM.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not about who went to SJ, PC, and SH. It's about who went somewhere other than Duke or Kentucky and might have come here if we were still in the BE.

Reaction Score
Not about who went to SJ, PC, and SH. It's about who went somewhere other than Duke or Kentucky and might have come here if we were still in the BE.
Example A: Kofi and Precious

Reaction Score
While I 100% agree that the Big East helps recruiting, there should be more weight into the impact the Ollie era had on it.

Had we dominated the AAC as the Calhoun teams would have, we would have much better recruiting classes. We didn’t and we didn’t.

Reaction Score
UConn let down the AAC much more than the AAC let down UConn. If UConn hadn't gone into complete meltdowns from awful coaching hires, no one would have missed the Big Least.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
You also need to take into account that Kevin Willard and Ed Cooley both started around the time that UConn moved into the AAC. While Willard didn't really recruit at a high level until the last 4 years, Cooley has been getting after it from the beginning. Is Hurley gonna wreck them now that we're back? Hell ya. But definitely something to take into account.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom