Interesting announcing technique | The Boneyard

Interesting announcing technique

Reaction Score
So this pair of announcers have a slightly different formula to deal with a blowout. Unlike ESPN, whose people chat about irrelevancies, these two occasionally broke into chat but often simply said nothing, leaving the audience to figure out everything that was going on. At one point the ball went up and down the court three times before they opened their mouths. All I know is they are not getting paid by the word. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I kind of liked the low key announcing tonight at least as a change of pace. ESPN has just gotten too loud, too chatty, and all about hyperbole, and promoting their upcoming events, basically focused on everything else but the game at hand.

Reaction Score
Announcing has become talking about everything but the game being played. Tonight in the second half, UCONN made three fouls and not once did either announcer identify who committed the fouls. They also never mentioned Batouly being in the game. Nothing personal, but I really enjoy our SNY announcers so much better then those from the so called major networks. A lot of talk about nothing.

Reaction Score
Announcing has become talking about everything but the game being played. Tonight in the second half, UCONN made three fouls and not once did either announcer identify who committed the fouls. They also never mentioned Batouly being in the game. Nothing personal, but I really enjoy our SNY announcers so much better then those from the so called major networks. A lot of talk about nothing.
Yeah I was pretty surprised when all of a sudden both teams were in the bonus. I was thinking to myself when did that happen?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was some of the worst I've heard in long time. Finally just shut the sound off. Usually it doesn't bother me much, but tonight OMG.

Reaction Score
Cripes! Batouly got in the game? When did that happen? Well, I guess it proves my point

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm with meyers7. They left too much up to the viewers (is it a foul or an out-of-bounds, who's in the game, etc.), while talking about nothing really relevant. Even in the first half.

Edited to add after seeing tomcat's post: Yes, they never mentioned Camara, nor Espinoza-Hunter, which blew my mind. AEH was in for at least 4 minutes, Camara for something like 3.

Reaction Score
Missing Bat Girl was a major blunder.

Reaction Score
So this pair of announcers have a slightly different formula to deal with a blowout. Unlike ESPN, whose people chat about irrelevancies, these two occasionally broke into chat but often simply said nothing, leaving the audience to figure out everything that was going on. At one point the ball went up and down the court three times before they opened their mouths. All I know is they are not getting paid by the word. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but when the UCONN bench players enter the game, the announcers don't give us their names. Sure, it's a blowout but I'm yelling, "Who are they?" My bad, but these kids (frosh) are yet to be household names, and guessing the announcers don't know who they are. That's on them.

Reaction Score
They're just lazy. They have a roster and are supposed to have learned it. That's part of any broadcaster's prep for the game. These two, the alleged play-by-play announcer especially, just found it easier to chat, when they said anything at all. Sometimes, as mentioned above, they just said nothing at all.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Blow-out games are the hardest to do (ask me how I know), but there is no darned excuse for unprofessional indifference or a lack of effort.

Reaction Score
At least we'll have an interesting mix of styles going forward with other networks picking up more of the Huskies games. ESPN, CBS, Fox, and SNY all broadcast the games. I'd rate them: SNY, CBS, Fox, ESPN.

Reaction Score
I kind of liked the low key announcing tonight at least as a change of pace. ESPN has just gotten too loud, too chatty, and all about hyperbole, and promoting their upcoming events, basically focused on everything else but the game at hand.
Exactly, just like the Fox announcers covering any NFL games.

Reaction Score
I thought that, though these announcers were at least generally talking about WCBB, nobody seemed to do play by play. I mean, I dont need radio type narration, but at least give me the basics! It is too bad when viewers know less than those who can hear the arena announcer. And even early on, before the score was out of hand, they rarely discussed the great plays - especially if it happened during a "story". I think it really helps viewers enjoy the game when it seems like the commentators are enjoying it, or at least paying attention!
I wish the networks would tell one person to do the game and announce what is happening and talk right over the chatter if necessary.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Blow-out games are the hardest to do (ask me how I know), but there is no darned excuse for unprofessional indifference or a lack of effort.

Or lack of announcing talent.

Reaction Score
I agree. When the commentators have nothing to say about the game, they should focus on who is playing, for both sides. Get us some background information, etc. Camara's appearance, for UCONN fans, was huge. And she drew nary a mention. Pretty lame work.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the game. I wish they had given us more info on the actual game. (Have to admit they would have had to talk pretty quick to name all of DePaul's subs!) Hope that soon they can have a program that will scroll substitutes and perhaps relevant game stats during the game at the bottom of the screen.
Still, I think they were better than many other announcing teams in at least giving info or stories about the programs competing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom